or Connect

Posts by SHORTGAME2013

These thoughts are for folks who need a boost to get to the range….   Routines answer questions. Routines extinguish doubt and build confidence.  Routines lend to stronger muscle memory.  To achieve a level of what Zen masters call “no-mind” we must be so CONFIDENT in our stroke that we are no longer thinking.  Others call this state “Unconscious Competence” - the ability to do something well without cognition.  Ben Hogan admitted to losing sight of the ball immediately...
Please understand that there are a number of good ways to shave strokes. The following are merely recommendations, so please use only what helps, and leave the rest! To ease confusion, become something of a note-taker. Find out your habits through a system of markings on the scorecard. The course map is your best friend for marking all kinds of shots. I recommend drawing where your shots ended up on the course map, and marking spots in between with an abbreviation...
Good point. Thanks!
I like it! We're all trying to make putts. Some people have difficulty seeing the hole on long putts, so visualization can help. My idea is to try to make sure we're erring long if we happen to miss. I like the concept of giving it a chance, and a frame of reference like the circle can help some people try to enlarge their target because, let's face it, while we always want the make, we never want a three-putt. My goal here is to try to help some people improve, and...
When I was golfing the other day, I observed two patterns (hint: look for patterns by marking down where your putts end up). When I took multiple practice swings while looking at the cup, I lagged them all just past withing tap in range! I'm not going to lie, I'm strarting to believe in strategy. I left one putt short that round. Not bad! All others were just long or in. That's great! Remember, your body is allowed to make mistakes. Billy Casper allowed 7 bad swings per...
Part of this Range/Course duality (great on range, rough on course) comes largely from one reason: Time between shots.  The range affords the ability to build a totally different kind of momentum.  You can hit a shot every ten seconds on the range, but it takes you at least 4 minutes to hit your next shot out on the course.   You can get better!   1) When on the range, play a game. Design a par 4. Pretend it's 360.  Hit whatever club you hit, measure distance, and see...
When you cross over inside of 100 yards to the flag, things start to happen. I feel a surge of confidence about being able to get it close. I feel that the shot I'm about to hit is going to be a short putt away. I love to consider the concept that I'm trying for and Up-and-Down from here. I've got this. I've put in my range time, and this one's mine. IF you don't have all these emotions standing over the ball from this distance, you might want to keep reading. There...
I'd like to see a column on the right with percentages of hit fairways/greens/putting average. Anyone take these kinds of notes on their game?
Jack Nicklaus' father would hold his hair to keep the head still! Good for you on working hard to get it right!!
WAY TO GET HELP AND FIX THAT SWING!! THE USE OF VIDEO IS A GREAT IDEA, ALONG WITH AN EXPERIENCED GUIDE!