or Connect

Posts by buddhabob

why does he need a trainer? It does not really look like Bubba has good muscle tone or spends much time at all 'working out'. His distance is clearly attributable to the long circumference of his swing and to describe him as abnormally flexible would be an exaggeration.  Its common for celebrities in many professions  to hire trainers but never really use them with any real discipline or intensity over an extended period of time. Why is this case any different?
its commonsense that the stronger and faster the speed thru impact and well into follow thru the farther the ball will fly. Too many examples to give for this one. Mike Dunaway one of the great original long drivers harps on actually accelerating after the ball is hit. I don't know if this is possible but he claims it is a prime reason for his exceptional power and distance. He could regularly hit 375 with persimmon woods and balata balls.
aicas, "generating explosive  power from the ground up" is precisely and merely another way of describing earth energy. There is nothing mystical about it. It is action reaction. It is throwing a rubber ball down into the ground and then watching it as it bounces upward. it is Jack Nicklaus floating his left heel in the backswing and then famously foot stomping it hard into the ground to initiate his powerful downswing. It is Bubba Watson squatting as he transits from a...
Its amusing how predictable and narrow minded middle aged golfers are and how married to gadgetry as well as if that's going to do anything whatsoever to improve their games. Its that same narrow mindedness that keeps you mired in mediocrity.  One is much better served by serious strength conditioning and elastic work. Distance is all about generating explosive power from the ground up, ask any top level athlete and he will emphasize this whether he is a...
god forbid anyone should question the money machine known as the Trackman which is wildly over prescribed by swing preachers and club fitters to untold armies of average golfers  as just another avenue to generate profits. To the extent that science can track distance accurately they have done extensive studies at the Titletist Performance Institute and derived 3 different physical tasks they test  clients with. If you are an Eddie Bauer swing preacher with stick arms and...
Pretzel, its an interesting topic and I appreciate your insights and high intelligence. Key in long driving is the relative squat at the top of the down swing that converts to a very powerful vertical push upwards at impact into the ball. All long hitters use this motion. They are doing what javellin throwers do which is crating and summoning ground reaction energy that then moves up thru the body and out thru the hands and the object being 'thrown'. In the martial arts...
but mass is not just the mass of the clubhead, its the mass and leverage of the size and strength of the person who is the extension of that clubhead via the shaft thru the hands and forearms and into the torso and legs. There is no other commonsense explanation for why one would rather be hit by a punch thrown by Ray Leonard or  one by George Foreman assuming they are of equal speed and distance. Its why longdrivers train in gyms as well as on ranges. Regarding the other...
also Trackman measures clubhead speed off the heel of the driver. For many clubheads this will underestimate the speed of the actual swing,me Calloways being the exception. Also Trackman cannot measure how much your clubhead decelerates after contact with the ball. Average deceleration is nearly 20% for an average golfer. Long drivers effort to reduce deceleration down to 5% or so using leverage, strength training and angle of attack. There are many other factors besides...
cute comment but the carry on those drives was 330-335 . What I am learning is that a key ingredient to distance is leverage angle at impact. Most clubheads slow in speed by 20% upon contact with the ball in the average golfer. Training and effort is made to reduce deceleration in clubhead by long drivers who are well aware of this. This is where strength training comes into play. Greater force applied thru the impact zone means maybe 15% reduction in deceleration, believe...
Hit 375 yesterday with a range ball. Was surprised. If you play with a 47 1/2" XXX stiff quality shaft and only 6 degrees of loft you can keep your ball spin down and the ball will naturally fly faster and farther. My swing speed on SSRadar is only 125mph, sometimes a little faster. But if you hit up on the ball by a few degrees unlike most who are trained with a negative attack angle it can make a big difference. I see now how Rory at his size can hit over 350 on...