or Connect

Posts by dbuck

I keep my tees, plastic repair tools and some change in a ziplock bag. Sometimes, the change is used for ball markers. I have a small velvet pouch I also keep in the ziplock bag, in which I keep a couple of special repair tools and ball markers.   I also like to use random round things for markers, like the punch out from a metal electrical box. No biggie if it gets scratched or lost.
 I think all boats rise with the tide. A stronger economy - meaning more people at work with discretionary income- will raise all recreational activities including golf. Not that I buy any, but vintage sports car and ski boat prices are higher than they were a year ago. Without getting too political, I think middle and upper-middle class folks must have discretionary income, and upper middle class to moderately wealthy must have investable income, to sustain public...
I tend to agree with Golfingdad that if you keep up the pace, I don't care what tees you use. If you are making a lot of doubles from the tips, though, I think you are probably not keeping the pace and need to move up. An extra shot per hole would be about 10 minutes per side, or 20 minutes per round which is about the difference between dragging and not.   Personally, I play vintage clubs a lot and whites/regular men's tees which are 6338/70.4/123 are pretty comfortable...
I wish I could say no, but I honestly said yes.   My usual first hole is an easy par 4, and the second hole is a fairly difficult par 4. If I don't do well on the first, it is pressure on me to catch up, and it is in my head. I know I shouldn't think that way, and I am working on it. That said, I very often have a better score on the more difficult second.
Dang, you mean Crosslines aren't on there?   I still use the ho-hum Lamkin Crossline --street price around $4. I rotate clubs a bit, so I usually get more than 2 years except maybe on the drivers.
I voted no.   It is not likely that  he will pass or even tie Nicklaus, but it is not impossible. If he is healthy now, and can find a swing that works for him, it is certainly possible, but time is not his friend.   The one thing he does have is experience, which is invaluable at Augusta, and at some of the traditional sites where majors are held. I don't think he wins 4-5 more Masters though, and the US Open is not at Torrey again until 2021.
This is me as well!
I will echo a few of the above statements.   New grips will make old irons feel a lot better. The most forgiving irons made won't help fat or topped after the fact; if it is only occasional, a fitting might help if the fat problem is really improper lie disguised as fat. Topped is usually swing related, maybe just a wobbly noggin.   I am not a good one to ask; my NEWEST set is probably 12 years old and the ones in my sig are 35 years old. The actual tech has change...
In general, golf being a game of self control and manners, it would be bad manners to laugh at your opponents shots. You are responsible for your own performance and that is how you defeat your opponent, not expecting him to collapse for you. You congratulate on good shots and empathize or mostly remain silent on bad ones.   This is how I might play with strangers, in formal competition, or even casual games with some friends or playing companions. With certain other...
I voted links being harder, for me at least.   I grew up in hills and trees and consequently, parkland style golf. I would truly love to experience some links golf, but have not yet. I have played some flat courses with no trees, but they were mainly just flat treeless goat farms, nothing like the links courses you would find in the Northwest, Michigan, or of course the true links of GB. On the flat courses I have played, the lack of reference points or trees to frame my...