or Connect

Posts by dbuck

I voted in my pocket turned on, but I don't keep it in my pocket and it is definitely on silent. It is usually in the cart or in my bag, and I check for text messages infrequently, and usually don't answer unless it is an emergency. I did make one exception last week when someone texted about a car I had on Craigslist and I happened to see it. I did not slow play.
Day in/day out, I use the Titleist DT SoLo, the Wilson Duo, and the Callaway Supersoft.   When I feel the "need" for a premium  ball, it is usually something from the B330 series, but I like ProV's about as well.   I haven't had a chance to try the new Chrome Soft, but it could become my premium ball, or maybe even everyday ball.
As my votes on these polls indicate, I tend to hang on to stuff for a long time, and stuff that works generally stays in the bag.   I still use a 16* Taylor Raylor from the early nineties. Several years ago, I picked up a used Orlimar 3 with an EI-70 shaft. I still have it, but the bag it is in doesn't get much play.   The vintage bag in my sig gets the most play, and the PING fairways have been there about a year. I occasionally swap them out for my latest find, or...
I voted never. Not quite true, but closer than anything else.   I have had the irons in my signature since 1979. In 1992, I "replaced" them with a new set of Titleist DCI's, which I also still have. I played the DCI's almost exclusively for about a year, then started playing the Staffs again once in a while. About four years ago, I picked up a couple of Joe Powell persimmons at a pawn shop and sort of got hooked on vintage gear. Last year, I played the old Staffs almost...
I voted never.   Other putters rotate through the bag as experiments or just for fun, but the old Wilson Geo Low always comes back to starting position and has since 1980. I also have a PING Anser 2 that gets a round every now and then.
I voted 2-4 years and that used to be about my norm.   I kept the same one from about 92 until 99, not so much out of love but inactivity. I just didn't play much from '94 until maybe '01. The newest driver I have is a Titleist 905T that I probably bought 5 years ago. The metal driver that gets the most play is an old Taylor 360 with what I call an "LSU" shaft, that old gold and purple UST/Mamiya (sp) that so many folks have used.   Persimmon is another thing entirely....
I voted never. So far, that is true.   I own exactly two hybrids that I bought from a friend maybe 2-3 years ago.  They are Callaway Heavenwoods about 6-8 years old, 3H (20*) and 4H (23*). They filled the slot I was looking to fill perfectly and still do. It took me a couple of rounds to get used to them, but after that I have really liked them.   Even so, they don't get a lot of play. I gravitated more and more to playing vintage most of the time, and only played that...
A good hole is a good hole.   That said, a par three 18th is not my favorite, though I don't mind a par three ninth as much. I play a course sometimes with a par three ninth, but the course does not come back to the clubhouse at the ninth, so you don't notice it as much.   As far as watching a championship event, I prefer a par four or five finish.
I am more of a picker than a digger, but occasionally take a divot. I am more likely to do so from the 8 iron down.
I voted yes, qualified by the OP's description of a "throwback event" to mean a single limited field, maybe one-time event for a charity or some such. I wouldn't want it required for players to participate etc. I think you would get some participation from a broad spectrum of players, but it would be limited.  As far as public interest, it would be bigger than some might think, but still a niche market as yet. Hickory golf would probably draw more interest than what I call...