or Connect

Posts by dbuck

It takes a lot of play to really "wear out" irons. I bought the irons in my sig new in 1979. I am sure their grooves may be worn a bit, but for you and I (hcps +/- 15=bogey golf) it really isn't that much of an issue. Some of the responders are a better than us and would notice the difference. The irons in the ad you posted would be fine I think for your intentions. I don't think you will wear them out in several years given modest maintenance.   I do agree with others...
PS, if you haven't already, invest in new grips for your clubs; it will make a world of difference
They may not be legal on the professional tours, and other clubs with similar grooves would be illegal after some point for higher level amateur competions or handicap purposes. However, I believe that both the USGA and R and A have a specific exemption for PING Eye 2's made before a certain date. Read a current copy the rules for the specifics. For casual play, I can't see that anyone would have a problem with you playing with these classic old sticks.
I am music lover. I play guitar and sing a bit. I appreciate almost all types of music, even though I have a little bit narrow taste in what I choose to listen to. I have to agree with several others though, in that I prefer the music of nature on the golf course. There is an airport in close proximity to where I play and that is more than enough distraction. Fortunately it is not too busy on the days I usually play.
I have a couple of 1 irons. One is a Wilson FG-17 Tour Blade from about 1981 and the other is a Titleist DCI from about 1992. I have hit good shots with both, not that I am immensely consistent with them. In fact some of my best shots have been 1 irons. Last year I hit one with the old Wilson that was nice and high and about 240 yards straight down the middle. That was a rush for this bogey golfer. That of course is not my norm--usually around 200-215 on a good shot. The...
Looking forward to your write ups and results.
I didn't vote because I don't have a real preference between the first two, although maybe slightly biased toward match play. I think there should be 1-3 non championship flights depending on the size of the club and range of abilities among other factors, but I think the championship flight should be no handicaps, level matches, and same tees as decided by the committee. For the non-championship flights, the tees should be age, gender, and ability appropriate and full...
I play in an informal weekly group and we pretty much play this way. While I am probably the only one with anything resembling a true handicap, they would range from 12-30, so this makes sense for the group to have fun and move along. No one plays in any formal competition other than the occasional shamble. I am the pseudo organizer of the group, and I initiated a double bogey rule which has gradually taken hold. I was giving them doulbles regardless of score, and they...
This is me. A few weeks ago I managed to shoot 44 after hitting 6 of 7 fairways, and missing the 7th by maybe a yard.
In the $20 range I also like the Titleist DT SoLo. I enjoy playing with vintage gear a lot, like the soft feel. I just picked up a dozen Wilson Duos, and they may be the equal of the Solo. I have only played about 18 with the Duo, but so far, so good. The Duo is especially soft feeling off the putter. I have tried a few of the  e series Bridgestones, and haven't found one I like any better than the Solo. Bridgestone makes the Fix around $20/doz, which is advertised as...