or Connect

Posts by acerimusdux

If he really wanted to cause partisan outrage, I suppose he could have named it Mount Cleveland.  FWIW, the Republican delegation from Alaska had lobbied for the change.
 I did overstate it a bit on SS, but it's not going to be wiped out, either. Basically, in 1982, the SS trust fund was projected to run out in 1983. That's the last time they made significant changes. Since then, the SS trust fund has been building up a large surplus. By one key measure of solvency, the asset to cost ratio, it is in the best shape ever (or was in 2011, when it peaked at 402%; now at 362%). http://www.ssa.gov/oact/trsum/images/chartE.jpg So with that...
 Federal interest costs as a % of GDP are the lowest they've been since 1973, our military is as dominant as pretty much any time in history, social security is fiscally in the best shape it's ever been, the ACA has been a huge success, insuring 15 million more people while lowering costs, and health care costs for this decade are now projected to be nearly $2T less than they were projected in 2010 (link). And I'm not terribly worried about banks and oil companies...
Well he's also flat out said Snowden should be executed as well, and I don't think he was joking. I was thinking of Trump as being likely unacceptable to the religious right (and maybe better in terms of individual liberty on some issues, like abortion or legalizing drugs), but I was probably underestimating how offensive he would be to the truly libertarian wing of the Republican party.  For anyone who is paranoid about the government spying on us, for example, Trump is...
 The GOP currently holds the House by a 246-188 margin. They don't need to compromise in the House. Republican voters must realize though that a national election is a different animal. And there were still efforts at a bipartisan bill as recently as 2013, which also mainly died in the House. Voters must also realize that massive House majority isn't likely to disappear, either. So even the most moderate Republican president isn't going to get anything through congress...
Perhaps reports of Lydia's downfall have been premature. She's been playing well lately, including a T3 in the British open last month, and now the Canadian Pacific;  
 They were at least as far right as Kasich or Rubio. I wouldn't assume Trump will ultimately have that much influence on the Republican platform.  It might even be that Trump's campaign only convinces more pragmatic Republicans that they need to have Rubio on the ticket. If you look at recent swing state polls, Rubio actually looks like the best Republican candidate, beating Hillary pretty heavily in Florida (51-39, Quinnipiac), Pennsylvania (47-40, Quinnipiac), and...
 As recently as 2004 though Republicans did still win 40% of the Hispanic vote. I think something like a Kasich/Rubio ticket could do as well (or even top that).  I think Kasich is probably the guy best positioned on the issues in the Republican field, but not sure yet if he's going to have the charisma to actually be a good candidate.  I would agree Trump's potential problems with both Women and Latinos might limit his general election upside, but don't underestimate the...
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/08/21/uk-usa-election-poll-trump-idUKKCN0QQ2E020150821  Still think Trump could actually win that nomination. He has 6 months to broaden his message some. He doesn't need to do it now.
 Nope, 100% serious. I agree Trump as Commander in Chief might be an embarrassment at times, but I don't think he's do any significant damage. He's an outrageous personality, but on policy, he's probably the most reasonable and moderate of the Republican field. Building a wall on the border for example, may not be that realistic and practical, but I don't see it doing any real harm. If you look at most of the reasons many Republicans don't trust Trump on other issues, such...