or Connect

Posts by Cartboy

I actually was going to summarize the actual suggestions as to what to do about slow golfers once you identify them, to sort that out for others who may be looking for the same type of information, so they would not have to sort through all the extraneous comments. But, I can see I've worn out my welcome here.   That happens. So, we'll just deal with it ourselves. For those who made suggestions, thanks. Y'all have a good one. 
Further evidence that slow play, and other golfer wrongdoings are due to unintentional clueless obliviousness (?).   One day last week I went in the Pro Shop and the course superintendent call me in to the GM's.  In front of the GM and Pro, he held up his cell phone and showed me a picture of a golfer driving their cart in the rough, and every-day, almost-every-group happening.  He picks me out because I've been there from the git-go and somehow it is me or my guy...
We have a situation where we are going to get slammed this year . . . we already have three times as many "event" rounds booked as last year.  Plus, we will be getting a lot of first-time-to-us golfers.   I've mentioned that our recommended pace is too low and that's the main thing I've been hearing this year, that golfers couldn't get around in that time, but they did get around in the time that was our recommended pace until it mysteriously changed a year...
Yesterday was one of those days that I came here looking for suggestions for.  If golfers could be doing something wrong, from slow play to driving where they were not supposed, to having inexperienced golfers on the course, to whatever, they were, and I heard about it!!!!   It occurred to me that all of us expect some golfers to do stuff they shouldn't be or not do stuff they should be because we all accept that there should be marshals/rangers on the course.
Disharmonious:   What I am saying is that we did our job, followed orders, and dealt with the way the Board of Directors, GM and Pro laid it out, and joked amongst ourselves because we knew that almost every morning four cranky old guys were gonna take it out on us. IMHO, we were very gracious to joke about it amongst ourselves, and to be gracious to the four cranky old guys, not that we could do any about it.   Even with 400 members, those members demanded that the...
The last few are very truthful.. Getting put with three strangers is common for my winter EZ Links rounds.  Since I'm already sensitive to slow play, you can imagine how frustrated I can get with the three buddies on their last day before they go back to the Arctic!!!   If this thread has not determined what to do with slow players, it at least has demonstrated how difficult it is for golf course employees to accommodate their customers.   I may have seemed snippety at...
Before the first GM I worked under succumbed to the budget restraints of the owners, marshals would spend time with slow groups to help them speed up . . . spot, forecaddie, rake bunkers, etc. Playing tees too long, looking for balls in the woods, and clueless lolly-gagging are our problems.  The latter are often clueless about their cluelessness, and hostile when it is pointed out. In my present conversations with my 3rd GM, he just said he is going to have to get some...
Now that I have read further, I see that if there is a slow group, and they make use of the beverage cart, the beverage cart is guilty by association, because they served the slow group.     At our course, the beverage cart would serve the slow group, as they would serve any group, then they would call the Pro Shop and tell them about the slow group, and let them know if there is an open hole in front of the slow group (because they work the course...
One of the problems of electronic, rather than in-person, communications is the risk the some feelings will get heard because they think their ideas are not appreciated. So, they take it out on the most convenient someone. As has already been acknowledged by another, the operation of our beverage cart is not an issue.  Golfers who play slow is/are. Sorry your feelings got hurt. Have a sunny day.