or Connect

Posts by Cartboy

Thanks for the help.         It's amazing how much that picture looks like me.  
Sorry, it wouldn't be prudent to say.  Actually, I have been diplomatic describing how it really is.  I cringe every time I hear/see it happen. Just wanted to see if others experience this at their own courses, or any courses.
The Florida situation is easy. If it even happens to appear to be possibly, maybe, could be inclement, you don't play. Too many nice days. Of course, at my Florida course(s), it's not issue, because when it is at 5 ' MSL, and pretty much a marsh to begin with, a trace of rain shuts the place down.Oh, so there is a line that can be crossed. Hmmmm. How about the guy behind the counter intimidating customers, calling them sissies because they're afraid of a little bit of...
In summary, regardless of what the course does, it is on the customer.   If the course has disabled Internet on the "public" computer customers are accustomed to looking at weather radar on, that's OK.   If the guy behind the counter, looking at current radar, says, "There's a small cell 30 miles off,"  when there is a huge storm three miles away, ready to hit, that's OK.   Get the money, issue a credit in a little while.   OK.
Yeah, that would be one way to justify misleading your customers.  You can always blame them for not knowing about the imminent inclement weather.   Inclement weather is an area that courses vary widely on.  The one I'm at in Florida blows the siren at the first sound of thunder, and even before.  The course I'm at up north does nothing, ever.
What do you think of a course that withholds weather information, or even misleads golfers trying to decide whether to go out, so that they can get their money, knowing a raincheck will be for credit, not refund?
It's never too late to look at new ways to handle old problems.   Although this year Pace has been much less of a problem, we have recently had a few blowups  with problem groups, one so serious that the GM had to send a message to another local club's pro that their group would no longer be allowed at our course (which has likely been reversed because of the in-person apology from the offending party the next day).    It's pretty common around here that if a course is...
On what hole did you ask to play through? Our regular member group (3 foursomes) was behind a very-slow, two-couple, everyone-play-one-shot-and-then-everyone-go-to-the-next-shot foursome.  We coulda played in 3 1/2 hours by ourselves, but that group had another similar group in front of them.  It was close to five hours, maybe 4:45. We were all keeping track of Pace because all of us were waiting on every shot the entire round.  But, then, when we played as a 6-some on the...
Holes 1 through 18.    The course is  not important.   Speaking for our Superintendent, we are a relatively new course and our fescue rough stresses easily.  He has been trying since the course opened to get it to fill in solid.  On almost all the holes the cart path is not at the same level as the fairways, so carts going back and forth, up and down, through the rough, would do even more damage.  We also don't want carts going off into the woods (which they still...
For those who may find their way here looking for help with their own pace problem, ours is not as severe as in previous years.  It still is a problem with some groups, but the main thing that has helped is that the course superintendent is cutting the rough much lower now and his guys have thinned out a lot of the areas where errant shots land.  We have some areas that just beg for ball-hunting.   Previously, because of very long rough, it was hard to find a ball that...