or Connect

Posts by FarawayFairways

Interesting take by Rory in this mornings paper about this notion of being streaky (that was the context of the quote), as the interviewer has asked a question about what he might say to Woods should he bump into him next week regarding Tiger's assertion that Rory is "brilliant, but streaky, like Phil"   "The Characteristics of my game are more like those of Phil than Tiger, but the major wins now suggest something different in terms of career paths. I've won three...
 I think that's very true with Poulter, and I think there's something to be said for using Reed to try and inject a bit of bite into a team that's normally pretty lame. I think you need to weigh up the pros and cons however about the merits of trying to do this at home and overseas, before making a definitive decision. The likes of Azinger and Pavin might have bigged it up at Kiawah, that's the easy part (not that Azinger won a point again after it) but ultimately playing...
OK, this board is little more than snapshot of golfing opinion, but I'd say that outside of those who adopt a 'sit on the fence and wait and see' it's something like 80% No and 20% Yes based on the evidence we have to assess Tiger on at the moment. Have any of America's heavyweight commentators broken rank yet though? I'm under the impression that it's 100% Yes, as no one wants to take the plunge and be the first to say 'the Emperors in his altogether'   I'm increasingly...
I think they're all fair points Turtle, but that needn't detract from the origination of the tournament of course which is where the naming rights has its genesis. The oldest golf course in the world is Musselburgh, but its a nine holer on the middle of a race track. The oldest football team in the world (professional) is Notts County, who play in the bottom tier etc   I think it's equally true to say though that the Masters has looked a little bit ceremonial in its...
It's explained above
 "They" would be the two camps who argued during the period 1983/84. As I recall it would regularly appear in the press as the Australias Cup, and then a week later it would be referred to again as the Americas Cup, the following week it would be back to Australia again. I don't recall there being an obvious battle line as such in so far as sponsors and media wanted the America name retaining, as did the US, whereas there was another lobby that said the original rules/...
 But the year aftreward they argued over what the cup would now be called. I remember it. Half the media kept referring to it as the Americas Cup, whereas the other half had installed the Australian name. In the end the Americas name stuck, as the departure was just too damaging to the brand as confusion reigned
  It's a ceremonial title really based on tradition, and since we all see millions of tourists every year hanging outside Buckingham Palace we all know how much you love that kind of thing really  I don't actually have too much of a problem with it as a title though, as it follows on naturally, even though its rendered meaningless by other tournaments, but more importantly, world rankings. Do college golf champions refer to their winners as Champion golfer of the year (or...
I've had a rethink on the issue of 'the Masters'   I have, heard that prefixed with 'US'. I've also heard it enough times too, and from mainstream broadcasters, for me to think that it isn't a slip of the tongue    More common is the title 'Masters Golf' though   I think what probably determines how its described is the time of year. Closer to April, the media are happy to use the word 'Masters' in isolation, but other times of year it can cause confusion. For...
I'm trying to imagine the scene from 1860. A group of people sit around in a room at Prestwick to organise a golf tournament, which at the time was a pretty private affair based on the death of the then leading player, leaving a vacuum. Naturally enough, there was debate about who was the best player now, and how they might settle it. A competition is the obvious way of settling this, is it not?   So what do they call it? What would you call it?   Well does it seem so...