or Connect

Posts by FarawayFairways

I believe there's an issue to do with timing, and I assume it would be the same in the US as it would Europe About 15-20 years ago the then amateur Justin Rose had a good run in the Open before fizzling out, but this issue came to the fore then. He turned Pro the next day (Monday) but entered the Open as an amateur and so that was deemed his status. He didn't get a penny.  On turning professional (with many predicting a stellar career) he proceeded to miss about 25...
I'd say 'NewtoGolf' and 'Spyder' probably have this about right   Conventional news reporting has had to retreat in line with 'real time' developments of the instant access platforms that ensures that they're otherwise absolete within hours of going to press. The print media are the biggest victims in that they can no longer report the news as a consequence. What they do instead is try and manage our emotional response to a topical issue, by taking a story that is...
Not wishing to wade through the entirity of the thread to see whether or not its been mentioned, I thought I'd tell you a true story and apologise if its already been referenced   Carnoustie's sixth hole at 512 yds long with an SI of 2, was renamed 'Hogans Alley' in 2003. This is because there is an outward bounds fence running all the way down the left with a bunker smack in the middle of the fairway. The shot down the right has Jocky's burn in play but doesn't permit...
I don't think there's any realistic prospect that Scotland are going to vote for independence. The opinion polls suggest they won't, and I speak to Scots on a daily basis (admittedly from the more conservative leaning golf community) and am yet to encounter anyone who wants independence (or admits it). Come to think of it, the greater advocacy I've heard for Scottish independence tends to come from South East England!   Rory has a bit of an issue though, as I understand...
Interesting to see how many of you frame your enjoyment through the plethora of commercials. Despite all its faults, this is one problem we don't have on the BBC. You pay a flat rate license fee and in return we dont get a single commercial (albeit they aren't averse to plugging their own products discreetly). I'd have thought you'd be able to get some BBC streaming though in the US if you could cope with 10 hours of uninterupted golf?   I seem to think our coverage of...
Should say too, that he could count himself lucky on one score. I doubt he's going to be under threat from a solar energy farm anytime soon
The Scottish people would rather have an electricity supply than yet another golf course. One thing Scotland ain't short of is golf courses! Ok Trumps says it's the best in the world with a clear hint that it should be treated differently, but again Scotland has 12-13 courses on most global top-100 lists, and this is a land mass about the size of South Carolina. Four of which have been built in the last decade or so incidentally (including Trump).   It's difficult to...
In latest developments, the Sunday newspapers (never a paragon of accurate reporting) were suggesting the men-only clubs will imminently be "axed" from the Open roster. Now as I said, our press do have a reputation, but in this case they're using attributable quotes to the global head of sponsorship (HSBC) who despite insisting they've applied no pressure, doesn't really do a convincing job "We don't want to be in a position where we're having to justify our sponsorship"...
 I think that's a pretty fair comment. Were it not for history would the course really be hosting Open Championships? There is a body of opinion that it isn't even the best course in Fife. Kingsbarns is often put up ahead of it. I think there's a bit of reverse one downmanship at play though. It's not unusual for overseas visitors to be wowed by the Old Course, and I personally feel Scots take a little bit of pleasure in down playing it in sort of matter of fact way. It...
There is a kind of chronological logic to it when you think about it.   The original golf clubs were men only. Excluded women duly established their own, and retaliated as such by excluding men.   Undoubtedly the women's clubs were set up to service women players. The consequence of this is that no men sought to play them (they wouldn't want to). Also the women only clubs wouldn't have been as famous, wouldn't be as well maintained (rich in other language), nor would...