or Connect

Posts by jvalhalla

EW is just overpriced and I'm not surprised by this at all. The only thing I have purchased from them in 13ish years of living near their stores was a used set of irons. I do go in there if I want to see something up close, then use my phone to google prices for that item. I never find them to be even remotely close to the best deal so I don't end up buying stuff from them. For such a large golf chain, they sure as heck don't try to get your business through...
Always good playing with advanced players. A lot of it just depends on how close of buddies you are. Is he a friend or acquaintance? Buddy is a broad term. When I've played with better friends, I don't worry about all this extraneous crap people are bringing up. I'll ask questions if there is something I want to know from him and gladly listen if he offers anything unsolicited. At the same time I will promptly give a scratch golfer friend crap on bad shots and expect to...
as has been previously stated, i think it is due to the competition/interest on the men's side vs. the women's. When I think back over my last 27ish years playing golf in Arizona, Texas and Florida, it occurs to me just how few women I've ever actually seen playing. I'm not even talking about playing well, just playing. Then when I think about how many I've played with/seen that I thought "she's pretty good", I can only think of ONE (a college golfer).   I'm not saying...
I'd keep working at your driver on the range. I've pulled my driver/woods from my bag in the past and sure, you can reduce scores from where you are currently at. If you only play short courses this will work fine. However, without the driver you will probably plateau in the mid-high 80s unless you develop tour-like irons. If you play long par 4s with that 4i distance, you will be turning them effectively into par 5s. The other problem is you will run into par 3s that you...
 I misread part of the post and have edited mine. I'm pretty sure the OP asked in his original post why guys like me don't maintain a handicap.
 I do know when I am getting better or worse. I know what I shoot.
I'm one of those guys who golfs a fair amount but I've never been interested in an official handicap. I don't honestly see the need; I don't enter tournaments and I don't gamble. I know what I typically shoot and getting that "official' number would only give me a reason to a) brag or b) have an inferiority complex. I don't want either, I play purely for fun. I know many people here won't get that but that is why I don't have a handicap.
I've fired off a few rounds in the 70s. I've been playing off and on for 27 yrs. When I got in the 70s it was due to me playing ~9 rounds a week on a course that I was extremely familiar with (and a fairly simple course in all honesty). For me the keys are plain and simple. I have to be very hot with my short game. If I put in the work with the putter and wedges I can be very good, even with a mediocre driver. These days I don't have the time to work on the short game as...
2pm in the summer during the oppressive heat. Keeps the masses away and allows me time for 36.
120 on an absolute fluke. I hitd a 3 iron punch shot with a tree in my way (negating a full swing with a wedge) from inside the depression around the tree. It came out a little hotter than I expected and fortunately hit the side of a hill around the green and went in. Luckiest shot I've ever hit, with no skill involved.