or Connect

Posts by HiHandicapper

baw1, looks like we started playing about the same time.  It's nice to know other beginners share some of my thoughts and concerns.  I think I was definitely swinging with just my arms until early December, when I started reading more about swinging with the body.  I'm confident that I'm doing a little better with that now, and my distance improved from 170 or thereabouts with a driver to almost 200.  I can tell you, though, that a 14 year age difference between you and...
Hazard Finder, again, I appreciate the comments.  It's likely I'm worried too much about holding other folks up, and perhaps overestimating the quality of play on the public courses.  I wish I had started playing again at least in my forties.  I wouldn't have to deal with the various aches and pains....major and minor...that I find have surfaced as a result of hitting a golf ball at the age of 58.  Part of my problem is I plan on retiring in about four years to a place...
Hazard Finder, thanks for the comments.  I was definitely asking that "when am I ready for the regular course" question.  I've read some online articles about that, but it's nice to hear it from a regular golfer.  Your experiences sound a lot like mine.  I can't play as much as I wish.  This is due partly because of work, partly because of weather this time of year, and definitely because I'm nursing a golfer's elbow problem that won't quite go away.  My routine over the...
Thanks, Hammer.  I'm glad to be here.  Most of my average distances right now correspond to a "short hitter" on a swing speed/distance chart.  I'm actually fine with that.  I'd like to make sure I've achieved my potential, but I don't need it to hit 300 yard drives or 100 yard pitches that land 3 feet from the flag.  I just want to have fun, hit consistently, achieve reasonable distances, and be able to fit in with the pace of play on a regulation course.
Dave, thanks for your comment.  The main thing that makes me think you're right is that there's some variance in the distances that I hit a given iron.  For example, I know I probably hit a 7 iron usually around 120-125, give or take.  But I know I've hit it 140 before, and that's a pretty wide variance.120 vs. 140.  The same thing holds for most of the rest of the clubs, although I'd say it's much narrower for the PW, but that's the club I've worked with the most, and...
Thanks, Dave. I really appreciate your comments and the welcome back. I hope to play a long time, as well. Re your thoughts: 1. I do have several local courses with chipping and putting greens. I went there probably 5-10 times during the summer, but certainly not as much as I should. I will take this suggestion to heart, as I enjoy the short game. Just need to wait for the temps to get out of the 30s. Coldest darn December I can remember. It figures. 2. I...
 I guess when Stug said he was fine on the range but couldn't do the same on the course, that was the reason for my suggestion.... If he makes the range more like the course, perhaps he can do well on both. My comment certainly wasn't a general recommendation to improve his swing. I have way too many problems with my own to give anyone any advice there.
Exactly what part of your shoulder hurts?  Top?  Side?  Back?  How far down your arm....back....etc.?
I'm probably the last guy you want to listen to, since I've only been playing for five months, but I read a post from a guy that I thought had some really good advice.  He said when he's at the range, he imagines the course he's playing.  For example, If the first hole is 450 yards with a straight fairway, he'll drive the ball towards the farthest flag on the range, estimate his drive distance, and calculate the remaining distance to his 450 yard hole.  For example, the...
Just to be up front, I am a new member with The Sand Trap and this is my very first post.  I'm also a 58 year old male, 5'9" and 165 pounds.  I was reasonably athletic when I was a young guy, but as an adult, life sometimes takes you in different directions.  I played golf for a year or two in  my teens, but quit.  Now that I'm considering retirement in a few years, I have become interested again, so back in May I bought a $60 set of clubs off Craigs List (Wilson,...