or Connect

Posts by smaug81243

Get the lessons but make sure you get them from a reputable instructor. I went with lessons upon starting and had a rather poor instructor. He was able to hammer in the concept of weight forward but wasn't good at teaching much else. If you want to develop a few good habits before you start lessons take a look at the 5 simple keys videos and begin with mirror work! It will be much more productive than heading to the range and just beating balls initially.
It completely depends on what you need to improve as to which is more effective. As a 35 handicap I'd imagine you still have major flaws in technique. I would recommend fixing those for pitching while taking lessons or practicing the full swing. I'd suggest starting with the pitching technique posted in instruction and playing tips (will link to it later when I'm not on my phone). It's pretty easy to learn, fairly forgiving and will at least allow you to get the ball on...
A procedure similar to drops for water could be used. Drop in the exact location of where the other ball was or in a direct line behind it as far back as you would like to go, no closer to the hole of course. I'm sure there are other issues with my proposed change (that will never happen, yes, I recognize this) but I doubt that they couldn't be solved relatively easily.
Although I still believe it would be a reasonable rule change, I do like these arguments:   On another side note, what on earth is going on with my picture. I definitely didn't set it up to be anything. Is the default barney just to get people to change it? Note to self, change it when I get home tonight :D
Subtlety has never been your strong suit! But, like I said, we will have to agree to disagree. If you know your ball is one of the two and you intentionally take the worse lie/position you gain nothing. I believe that is a more reasonable (and saves time) solution than the current rule of reteeing. Perhaps i'm too young and too new to golf to value the tradition of golf as heavily as you. And to reiterate again, I agree the solution makes it irrelevant but for some reason...
5/5 Made me laugh! I agree, simple solution that solves the problem but in this case a man who apparently follows the rules very closely had not marked his ball. I'm sure it will happen again with another individual.  We will have to agree to disagree on this. Modifying that rule to something along the lines of: Play the ball furthest from the hole or play the ball with the worse lie/worse situation is not anywhere close to the same magnitude as allowing a King of the...
 It is irrelevant whether the course was empty or completely packed. If you are going a rule such as this one 100% of the time there are plenty of times in which you will add 10 minutes to a round to walk back to the tee, hit and repeat the process in the fairway.  My understanding is that rounds on the PGA tour are not particularly fast. Are they uneducated golfers as well? Sure, they are playing for lots of money but they certainly aren't uneducated in regards to golf....
Such an encouraging post to promote discussion. Since you make it sound like my post is completely irrelevant, and do so in a rude manner, let's have some fun with this. As I'm sure you know, the USGA has been attempting to tackle the issue of pace of play in recent years. Methods that have been discussed for shortening the amount of time a golf round takes have included larger holes, encouraging players to tee it forward, etc. Perhaps another way to boost pace of play...
This seems a little silly to me. Both balls were in the fairway (I'm assuming good lies on both) and 5 yards apart. Your score should be about the same from each position if you played them both thousands of times. If you aren't playing in a tournament just hit the ball.
... From the ladies tees :D. 4990 yards, rated 68.5/111 for the ladies, unsure what it would be for the men. Next shortest tees are 5678 yards and are rated 67.4/110 for the men. Anyways, I had 4 birdies and 5 pars on the front for a 31 (par 71 course) and 2 birdies/2 bogeys/5 pars for a 36. Both bogeys were stupid mistakes. The first was on a short par 4 (about 270 yards) that is nearly impossible to drive as it is an elevated green with a 20-30 ft high rock wall blocking...