or Connect

Posts by ColinL

You would have to make your decision on that.  If you are not capable of driving the machine or think that it would not be permissible for you to do so, then consider it immovable.  
....including, as I mentioned earlier, where the flag was moving  when the ball came to rest in it.
 If a ball is 100% below the green surface but held up  a loose impediment or obstruction, why would you have to remove the loose impediment or the obstruction?  Doesn't the ball meet the definition of "holed" even if the side of the hole is damaged and part of the ball is in the side of the hole, as in the embedded ball in the hole Decision? To be clear, I have all along been talking of  a ball that is held up directly above the hole - i.e. vertical lines from its...
Just to be precise, you would place a ball that had been in or on movable obstruction  on the putting green.  Which is of course the basis of my stubborn insistence that you would place the ball in the hole if an obstruction was holding it above the hole ..... but let's not go there again. 
Again, may I point out that Rule 24-1b does not tell us to place the ball in mid-air at the position it had been in on the obstruction.  For a ball on a movable  obstruction on the green,  it tells you to place the ball directly under that point - in this case that would mean placing the ball at the bottom of the hole.Under what rule are we required to consider where a ball might have been deflected to when it has been stopped by an obstruction?
You do not put your ball back in the exact spot it is on when it was on a movable obstruction. You place it it directly below.  The hypothetical is that this ball is directly above the hole and so that is where you place it - in the hole. 17/6 is specifically about a ball caught up in the flag.  As I said, the wording is that you cannot place the ball in the hole which keeps that injunction specific to the situation.  It is not a generalisation that rules out placing in...
You don't need to know what the ball might have done coming to rest on a packet in the hole any more than you need to know what might have happened to your ball if it hadn't landed on an obstruction  anywhere else on the course.    If it is at rest on the crisp/chip packet it is on an obstruction. It is placed directly underneath where it was once the obstruction is removed - provided the obstruction is a movable one and can be moved. That the liner may not meet the...
A ruling in equity is only required where there isn't an applicable rule.  24-1b is the applicable rule.      What do you say about the crisp packet?   
 I am using the words as presented in Rule 24-1b which specifically tells me I can  remove an obstruction on which my ball rests and place the ball directly below it.  Why do I need a Decision to tell me the exactly what the Rule already says?  I suggest there needs to be a decision that specifically tells me that I can't. If the hole were obstructed by a crisp packet and my ball was resting on top of it,  clearly directly above the hole, are you telling me that I can't...
17/6 does not say a ball may not be placed in the hole; it says the ball may not be placed in the hole.  It is specific to the situation of the ball being lodged in the flag. It may be reasonable to use it as an analogy, but we cannot take the statement to be a generalisation. It does not tell us that we cannot ever place a ball in the hole.