or Connect

Posts by ColinL

There is no rule of golf that prevents you playing to, from or along an adjacent fairway. The only way  this might be prevented is by  an internal out of bounds.  Your choice of shot in the situation described was entirely down to you.
It could be, of course, that the  golf course is on a peninsula so narrow that the course extends to both east and west sides, in which you are indeed on the freaking golf course after your circumnavigation.  Indeed you could save a lot of time by just walking from one side to the other and dropping a ball.   
Ok.   I put my ball into the sea on Machrihanish which is on the west side of the peninsula and opt to play from the opposite margin. I set sail and for the sake of argument let's say there is no landfall till I return to the east side of the peninsula. The first bit of  ground you come to if you cross a lateral water hazard has to be the opposite margin and so I have arrived at the opposite margin and just have work out an equidistant point and drop within 2 club lengths....
I just knew someone was going to say something like that.    In the  situation described, which is what I was referring to (which I suspect you well knew!)  the hazard did have  a natural margin within sight .  But to be my usual pedantic self, even the Pacific Ocean has a natural margin.  Perhaps a tad too far away to be particularly relevant, but certainly within a finite distance.   There are probably many links courses which mark the  beach and ocean as a LWH, my...
Exactly.  Rule 16-1c is very clear:    Any other damage to the putting green must not be repaired if it might assist the player in his subsequent play of the hole. As you see, the prohibition is not confined to the line of putt, but applies anywhere that might be of assistance - such as beyond the hole.
I can't answer for why your coach tells you not to, but it  is not because it is a breach of the rules. You can remove loose impediments any way you like, including with a club,  provided you do not do anything that would improve your lie or  line of play/putt  - for example  by pressing down a bump on the ground or, off the green, by moving sand or soil at the same time   I would say that the commonest way of removing loose impediments  I see  is with a club.  Given the...
A water hazard by Definition is on the course.  It stops when it reaches a boundary of the course.  If there is a possibility that your ball has gone beyond the boundary, it must be treated as having gone out of bounds.  As said above, there has to be virtual certainty that the ball is in the hazard to proceed under the water hazard rule.
If there are no markings on the opposite margin of a water hazard, how can it extend to infinity when in the absence of markings the natural margins of the hazard define it?
See Post #3
Joe,   What the Definition and Rule that @iacas quotes tell you is that if a natural thing meets the definition of a loose impediment, it can be removed anywhere on the course except  if your ball and the loose impediment are in the same hazard.  The lady you observed was ok to remove a leaf or something whether on or off the green and even if it was on her line of play or line of putt.  And it's ok to touch your line of putt when removing a loose impediment.   You...