or Connect

Posts by ColinL

Two things to check in a situation like this before the bottle of whisky is ordered:  was the ball at rest after being replaced and if so, did the player do anything to cause the ball to move.   As you say, nice one!
The situation and the feeling are recognisable.  A wise decision to pick up the provisional then. 
Why didn't you play the provisional ball again rather than pick it up?   I assume it wasn't nearer the hole than where your original was likely to be and if you hadn't found your original, you would have had to come back and play it anyway - with an extra penalty stroke for having lifted it.
 If I can lift, clean and place (when permitted) and when placing move a blade of grass, am I penalised?  NoIf I press a ball down when placing it in order to make it stay in place, am I penalised?  Yes. That's what the rules tell us simply and straightforwardly.   Where's the problem?  I expect that since bowling takes place on a very level surface without trees, ponds, sprinkler heads, trolleys, bunkers, rabbit holes, soggy bits, puddles,  etc, etc, its rules do not have...
Even the slightest pressure on the ball will result in your altering the surface of the sand  - which is a breach of Rule 1-2
Yes, see post #17, but be careful,  You cannot push the ball down to make it stay put.
You seem still to be fixed on club lengths.  You could, as I maybe didn't explain clearly enough, drop your ball on or a mere centimetre away from the unplayable lie. In the situation you describe it might be possible to drop the ball so that it struck  the bunker face just above where it had been i.e. further from the hole.  If it rolls into a place which requires a redrop, you drop again.  If the same happens again, you place the ball. If the placed ball won't stay in...
How does this sound for a solution?   If the face of the bunker is not vertical but has even a slight inclination from the vertical, drop your ball to strike the the face above or where the ball impacted.  It will then bounce further into the bunker nearer the hole.  Re-drop and the ball will do the same.  Then, in accordance with Rule 20-2c(vii), place the ball as near as possible to where it struck the course from the re-drop.  It is highly unlikely that the ball will...
Here is a possible way out of the predicament.   When taking relief from an unplayable ball under Rule 28c , you have to drop your ball within two club lengths.  That means anywhere within that distance whether just under 2 club lengths, 2 centimetres or whatever.I'm going right back to the original description because it occurs to me that the phrase I've highlighted in red might suggest that you think that when taking relief from an unplayable ball you have to drop two...
On a tacTotally disagree   Worst case is that you bury the ball even more deeply; still have the problem of having nowhere in the bunker to drop from an unplayable; and realise too late  that the place you played your last stroke was in the side of the bunker. Mind you, I'm having great difficulty in visualising how you could bury your ball in the edge of a bunker and not have a possible drop not nearer  the hole.