or Connect

Posts by ColinL

Ah well, I was only intending to be helpfully informative in the first place.
 Sounds to me that your are describing a pretty clear natural margin.
 I  referred you to those two situations in which unusually, a player gets a choice of playing one or other of two balls (and that is the choice when your ball is not found in GUR and you have played a provisional) simply in order to be helpful rather than for the sake of  contradicting you.  But if you must wriggle in order to prove you were somehow right, then I will make it a plain contradiction. You were wrong. You do get to choose between two balls when you cannot...
You might want to look at Decision 27/11 http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!decision-27,d27-11 Additionally, look at Decision 27-2c/1.5 where although one ball is not found, you do have a choice on the basis of  knowing where and how one ball is lying and where you would be dropping the substituted one. http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!decision-27,d27-2c-1.5
Question 6 was about match play.  The moment the first player asked for advice he lost the hole.  What his opponent said after that doesn't matter. In stroke play, you would be correct: both players would be penalised, one for asking and the other for giving.
I was just delighted at the quaintly archaic flavour of the old phonetic names!
If it's marked by red stakes, it's a lateral water hazard..... even if it doesn't  meet the Definition of a water hazard. On a total off topic aside, from what mental archive  did Able, Baker and Charlie appear?  Sadly for for Messrs Able and Baker, only Charile survived to appear in the NATO  phonetic alphabet of the 1950s!  
You are correct that that is an option with a lateral water hazard, but from the photo there is no way of knowing how long the hazard is and even from what you can see it would be very time-consuming to go all the way round in order to play from the opposite side.  Also a tricky shot.
 .... and they no doubt are honest enough to add the four penalty strokes they have incurred to their score.  
I answered your question on the basis that your ball was definitely in the ditch.  Now, why would I do that?  Perhaps because of your very clear statement in your opening post; My ball came to rest in a ditch on the other side of the green (grey arrow). Now  you say you made a "reasonable assumptions" that it might be in the ditch.  That's not the same situation at all which means my original answer was a bit of a waste of time.