or Connect

Posts by ColinL

Far too sensible  
Ray You will see caddies helping their players to align for a stroke and particularly for a putt.  I think I'm right in saying it is much more obvious (intrusive even!) in women's golf.
The result should be, assuming that you did not know you were breaching the rules in what you did, that nothing happens.See Rule 34-1bhttp://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Rule-34/
To creep a little further, I'm just settling down to an entertaining  evening's viewing - looking for a McIlroy win,  but mainly just intent on enjoying golf such as I can't even play in my dreams.
 It was indeed a very clumsily constructed sentence of which I should be ashamed.  And I was when I went back to read it again.    If it tripped someone knowledgeable, it wouldn't be much help to anyone who isn't. I shall take myself aside and give myself a good talking to.  Must do better x 100  at the very least. Or I could write it all in Scots and no-one would be any the wiser.
 I think I covered that.   Not the most elegant of phrasing (I'm translating from Scots, after all  )  but I was clearly referring to playing the next stroke from outside the hazard don't you think?  You are always going to be penalised  to play your next stroke after going into a water hazard from outside the hazard.   
You are always going to be penalised  to play your next stroke after going into a water hazard from outside the hazard.  It makes no difference whether you find the ball or not.
I hope you don't get  confused by the flurry of replies, Fred.  We're all saying the same things in different ways!   @Fourputt and Dormie We should set up a duty roster and save the time on duplication 
You cannot go back and play a provisional ball after you have gone forward to search for your original ball. When you played a second ball as you did, it became the ball in play.     The important question is whether at the time you  were certain that your ball was in the hazard. The Rules term is "virtually certain" which really means that you are sure your ball could not be anywhere else.  If you had that 99% certainty that your ball was in the hazard, you were correct...
Decision 1-2/8 should help with this.   http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Decision-01/#d1-2-8   As you see the sequence of events is important.   If the player repairs the divot or whatever before knowing that  the ball is going to roll back down the hill there won't be a breach.