or Connect

Posts by NJpatbee

Golf is a difficult game, but easier with today's (including the last 10 years) equipment than it has ever been.  18 holes of golf in the last 50 years has consistently been time consuming with crowded courses taking 5 hours on a weekend. I do believe though that the major factor in fewer people playing golf is cost related in that our jobs have not recovered from the "Great Recession" leaving people with less disposable income.  Our houses are worth less (for most of us),...
I will do this on the occasion when the ball was right in the fairway but when I get there it is covered with leaves.  If the ball is heading toward trouble and there are leaves along the way, well too bad it is a lost ball.  I also have no illusion that most of our "leaf balls" are compliant with the Rules of Golf, but on a windy October day the round could take forever searching 5 minutes under the leaves for every other shot. I do find that with today's heavy duty leaf...
I had an unusually rough start to the season yanking the ball to the left on every other driving hole and going over 100 5 times 7-8 penalty strokes/round.  I did get my drive working and spent time on my short game and had a half dozen excellent rounds with nothing higher than a 92 and an 86 as my low score.  I then proceeded to need a month off due to a non-golf back injury and am just starting to play again.  I cannot bend well and I am averaging 3-4 strokes higher - my...
I play alone about 1/3 of my rounds and enjoy the relative solitude and concentrating on my game.  I play another 1/3 of my rounds with friends and family and enjoy the conversation, jokes, and occasional $$ matches or just bragging rights.  I play the final 1/3 of my rounds with strangers I am paired up with and have met some nice people and enjoy it, but would prefer playing with friends or solo. I am also an avid fly fisherman and prefer to fish by myself, and I am...
I had entered a reply based on watching my daughter recover from gall bladder surgery but decided against.  This is a question for your surgeon.
I think we each have different interpretations of the poll question:   "If you had a good chance to earn multiple times your yearly salary or witness the birth of your first child, you'd choose"   I understood this to mean 4-5 times and many of you are talking $12 million, more like 50 to 150 times based on your income.  Based on my interpretation, I chose and would continue to choose being at the birth.  If it was 100 times and would change the life of my family...
Especially when playing on familiar greens, I typically will shoot a few strokes higher. Sure you can smash it on long putts but the remaining sand on the greens usually will stop some from dropping in. It is better than not playing, but it changes the putting game into something different than the greens were designed for. The fact that many courses will give discounts or post aeration warnings is an indication that there are some, like myself, that dislike aerated...
OK, I admit that I rushed and selected payday by mistake so the % should be slightly different.  To me there would be no hesitation in choosing to see my first (and every other) child born.  I had my three daughters at the ages of 27, 30, and 35, and can remember every second of each birth.  I could not tell you what projects I was running or what deals were closed at those times, but when I think back to age 27 one thought comes to mind - the birth of my first...
Great work!  One suggestion I would make is to consider adding more hybrids.  I am 62 and have a cranky back (I haven't played in several weeks because of it) which is aggravated by striking down on a golf ball as you would with a 5i or 6i.   In addition, I just could not get the distance that I used to.  Last year I replaced my 2i - 6i with hybrids and got back to the distances I had 10 years ago with fewer injuries to my back (I can occasionally swing a 6h too...
Very true, but challenging the definition of hazards on the golf course as being water and sand only is viewed as altering the integrity of the game by many I have spoken to.