or Connect

Posts by NJpatbee

Sorry, It is the 11th.
The course I was referring to in Northern NJ is Crystal Springs, I believe the 8th hole a par 3.
I would get the cheapest balls that will make them happy for just knocking around.  If they do start playing at some point, low compression will help their distance.
Thanks - I will check it out.
I do not expect any changes to the hazard definition because "that's how it is" and has always been.  That is the explanation that I give to my grandson who at 9 years old does not think it makes sense - that's the rule.  Of course some rules in all sports are arbitrary in areas such as distance or score values, but the narrow definition of golf hazards and the fact that the punishment for hitting into them is less severe than other natural hazards is still illogical to...
 I should have said 9 year old grandson!!
 I understand the rule and appreciate the challenging a golfer's ability to avoid hazards intentionally placed, but I believe that naturally occurring hazards other than water or sand should be given the same treatment and should not be considered a greater transgression.  In NW NJ there is a course that has a hole where you have to hit across a portion of an abandoned quarry, no water or sand, just a deep rock gorge that you cannot get to.  It is not a hazard but the hole...
My exposure to UK courses is from watching the British Open and Ryder Cup and the only links "style" courses I have played were in the US. Using St.Andrews as an example, I have not seen many cliffs or forests, although there are some I have seen in pictures of other UK courses. In my opinion based upon what I have seen the appear to be an exception.  No doubt there are areas where you could lose a ball on UK links courses, and I am not arguing against stroke and distance...
As the season and subsequently the calendar year winds down, our golf ball manufacturers are already preparing their offerings for next year.  After a bit of experimentation earlier in the season I selected the Maxfli U/3 and have grown very fond of it and accustomed to its performance.   Now, here are my concerns:  Will Dicks Sporting Goods continue to manufacture golf balls (Maxfli and Top-Flite)?  If not, will some other entity buy the brands?  In either case, will...
Our rules of golf had their birth on the links courses of the Brirish Isles a couple of hundres years ago (R&A), where quite frankly, the only hazards were sand and water.  The US courses built in the last 120 years incorporated water and sand to make them challenging in a traditional way, but never adapted to the variety of terrains that most of us play on.  For example, a ball hit off a steep ravine for all practical purposes cannot be played and the penalty is stroke...