or Connect

Posts by easyjay39402

I don't see a problem, unless you work for an equipment manufacturer or golf course designer. When I was a kid (I'm now a geezer), it was possible to learn golf and earn some money as a caddy. There were not so many golfers then (or Americans for that matter ... traffic jams did not exist as a concept). Courses were not at all crowded, and nobody complained about "slow play". It was common practice for golfers to stop in the clubhouse at the turn and have lunch. I...
I'm a middle handicap guy, but still capable of producing some big numbers every round.For me, it happens when I hit a poor tee shot and try to salvage a chance at par with a miracle follow-on shot.Thanks much for this topic ... I hope to be playing in a couple of weeks and will keep this failing in mind!
Well, because of health issues I only play golf once every few months; and I have lost interest in following the professional game. I no longer watch the Golf Channel; and this year, I only watched the last couple of hours of the Masters. That said, I still enjoy reading what is going on in the trenches, such as "thesandtrap".
My suggestion, which worked for us, would be to retire to an area that hosts many activities in addition to golf that you would enjoy.  If family and/or friends happen to live there, that is a plus.  Also, if there is a university in the community, that is a plus.  Likewise a plentitude of medical facilities.   AFTER you have moved into the area spend a few months learning about the local clubs before joining one.  What makes a course isn't just the track, but mostly the...
An interesting question.. I can remember when Tennis was considered a sport of the elite, played with white balls, wooden racquets, in white clothing (often long pants), on courts found mostly at country clubs. The tennis revolution that began in the 70s resulted in the construction of many public courts, us regular folk took up the game. Tennis has, I think, lost much of that elite imagery. So maybe it is an issue of access. I would submit that golf has become much...
I actually have a Bushnell pinseeker, but am not able to hold it steady enough to get a read on the distance, so I gave up on it. Still, I think courses would fare better with their golfing customers by providing consistent, simple, findable distance markers than by expecting that they own range finders. Some courses have GPS built into the golf cart, which is an elegant solution.
One thing that would help me play golf at a faster, but still enjoyable pace would be distance markers that are easy to find and consistent across daily fee courses. I don't belong to a private club (did when I played often) and enjoy playing the variety of courses available across the Deep South. Yesterday, I played a course that had markers at 200, 150, and 100 - painted circles in the center of the fairway. Unfortunately, my crew does not customarily play down the...
If you wish to enjoy a golf lifestyle in retirement, I strongly endorse early retirement, as it is more likely than not that your body will impose limits on your golfing as you move through your 60s. I retired at 58 with a 6 handicap index. Despite regular lessons and conscientious practice, I was not able to move my HCI very much. After a couple of years, I gave up on becoming a scratch player and just played socially. Thoroughly enjoyed golfing well into my 60s,...
Moderate drinking helps me enjoy a round when it is obvious that the wheels have fallen off my game.  That said, I have found that a tab of Tramadol 50 before the round makes a good 5-10 strokes difference in my score (for the better).  It diminishes the pain significantly (if you are a geezer).