or Connect

Posts by RH31

Is it uphill, down hill or level?   Is wind helping or hurting the shot?   Where do I want to land it on the green?   Are there hazards I need to avoid?   Lets say its a 130 yard par3...level...no wind... pin cut in front middle portion of green....no bunkers or water   That's a standard 9 iron for me     Lets say its the same type hole only 5 yards up hill  I can't get to the pin with the 9 so I'll choke down slightly and make the same swing with an 8...I...
I wouldn't worry about a few extra bucks or a few minutes drive time. I'd go with what I thought was the nicer facility especially if I liked the layout of the course more. The indoor part was a bonus as well. I voted Yankee
1. play 90 rounds   2. improve ball striking
Given the variables you described, I'd still have to consider wind and how hot it is to judge how much carry.That said, 60 yards is slightly less than a 3/4 lob wedge for me. The ball will fly pretty high and stop more or less where it lands. The 40 yard shot is more often than not just a half swing lob wedge. The ball won't fly quite as high or spin and stop quite as much as a fuller swing L wedge. Occaisonally, I'll try a lower shot with the 56 or 52 wedge, but i don't...
 I agree with the 3/4 swing, not so much the 1/2 swing or less. I play within a large(>30) group of regular golfers with handicaps ranging from 0-15ish.  I see way more 1/2 swing shortish 25-40 yard shots that are mishit or misjudged, than I do 3/4 or more60-80 yarders.
There's only one par 4 on my home course where I could drive it inside 60 yards and that brings water into play. I lay back to anywhere from 50-90, but generally like to hit a comfortable lob wedge(60-70 yards) to really have the best chance of sticking it close.   If I was playing just a basic shortish par 4 that I could drive it to say 30 yards from the green, I would only choose the closer option if I knew the pin placement, speed and slope of the green, etc. were...
I'm currently a member of a private club. I've also been a member at public courses that allow preferred tee times to members. It's been a  much better expirience for me to be a member and to play in the member gaggle/sweeps than to always have to get tee times. I play  a lot more golf and enjoy it waaaayyyy more.
I holed a 4 iron for double eagle, but it really wasn't that hard of a shot, just got lucky with how it released.   A lot of memorable shots seemed to happen in match play.   I once hit a cut 5 wood(190ish) out of a fairway bunker to a back right pin on a  double tier green to about 4 feet. I made the birdie and it really shook up the opposition.   Playing a par 3 at Chester Valley, can't remember the hole # but its slopes severely from back to front. I hit my tee...
Par 5 18th on my home course. The driving area is wide enough but OB left is in play as the fairway slopes to the left. The right side is guarded by trees until you get 120 or so from the green. Drive it too far right and you have to try and cut the ball around trees into the layup area with the ball above your feet, or layup with no shot at the GIR. If you manage to find the ideal spot 100-120 from the green you still have an uphill approach to a fast green that slopes...
I think all 3 options apply depending on the player(s). I voted for option 1 only because those type tick me off the most.   Obviously, there are people on golf courses that don't know or care that if the pace of play is quicker, then more people can get on a golf course and complete their round on a given day.