or Connect

Posts by RH31

Interesting to hear the great Jack Nicklaus comment during the Honda classic. "" As players were contemplating whether or not to go for it in two on a Par 5, can't remember which one, Jack said something like.."if you can pull it off 9 out of 10 times and the 10th isn't too bad then go for it. If you can't do that, don't try it."
Many years ago, I was able to shoot mostly in the 70's. I had been playing golf for about 10 years and had worked my way down to 8ish handicap. At that time I could break 80 occasionally. I always struggled with consistent ball flight. I tried to hit it straight or draw it. One day, while slapping it sideways on the range, I decided that since I had problems clearing my left side, I'd just start with it out the way to begin with. So, I opened my stance and swung the club...
I replay every round in my mind on the way home from the course. Playable drives, GIRs, up and downs, the whole bit.   I can remember some really good and really bad shots that I hit up to about 20 years ago.
I have a 19* 3Hybrid that I carry about the same distance as the 20* 5 wood I used to hit (200-210). My 4hybrid at 22* carries around 190.
It's the Driver for me. If I can keep my drives in play, I'm usually going to play to my handicap or better.
There have been a few really good players that I've played with over the years that I guess I never saw on the practice green. I'm an inconsistent player with every club, so I need the reps with my putter. I've got to add a lot of range time to my agenda to get it near the 65% mark....
 My question with 65/20/15 advice is; Are you advocating decreasing putting practice time to allow for more long game practice, or just advising to add more range time and keep the amount of short game / putting practice time the same amount of hours. The reason I ask this, is that I have a hard time believing pros or most any other reasonably accomplished player is going to maintain what putting skills they have if they practice less.
I used to get bored and my scores would show it sometime in August every year. That's back when I used to play 100 or so rounds.   I'd just hang em up for two weeks,  then try to play some different courses or different formats. I'd usually be over the boredom by the time the fall tournaments started.
Back when I was at my peak, I used to practice putts on the same line at the same hole on the practice green at my home course. I started at 1 foot and would go back a foot when I made or reputt if I missed. I could putt out and back to 12-14 feet on good days and not miss. It was a huge confidence builder for me when I got out on the course. I really thought, and sometimes still think, If I can read it I can make it. That said, I realize they aren't all going to go in....
It would depend on how far outside of 6ft., how much slope, how much break and how fast the greens are. I play in the mid atlantic area so Bermuda grain is not a factor. The basic 6-10 footer, flat, little right to left, on a good day I'll make 4 or 5. I'll make a bomb(15ft +) or two as well,but probably 3 putt once, maybe twice. On a bad day, I'll make 1 maybe 2 putts outside of 6 feet.