or Connect

Posts by Divot Master

Not according to Yogi!
The first rule of putting:   99% of putts left short don't go in!
From a mathematical standpoint, 100% would be absolute: as fast and hard as you can possibly swing regardless of the results.  No competent pro would ever send you there.   From a more practical standpoint, I would think 100% could be defined by as fast and hard as you can swing without losing balance or risking injury.  Obviously, a 100% swing with proper contact will yield maximum (100%) distance.  But only the rare few can maintain any kind of swing consistency at...
Oakmont.  Although the course played me more than I played it.   Nailed the church pews on 3 and 4!   Made it extra fun to go back and watch the Women's Open there a few years ago.
Headed to Richmond VA on short notice, staying with non-golfers.  Any recommendations on places to play Sunday or Monday?  I prefer architecturally interesting layouts, in good condition.  Cost less important.  Played Royal New Kent last year and enjoyed it. How are the conditions there these days?   Thanks in advance for any good info.
I believe that the course architect's message to a golfer standing on this tee is that sometimes "short" holes are NOT birdie holes. In this case, a directionally accurate tee shot is required regardless of the club selected. Then a distance and directionally accurate second shot is required from an uphill lie, and where GPS and rangefinders are essentially useless in determining the effective distance to the pin due to the severe uphill. Then you need a healthy dose of...
 I'd been thinking the same thing, but don't know how to use the ruler thingy.  More likely that his shot drifted just a bit right and caught the "polar vortex" at about 280.  (Great name, by the way!) The fairways were soft enough that we weren't getting a whole lot of roll.
 Interesting article, but way too complicated to read at the end of a long day. The easiest way to visualize this is to look at the ancient history of the Old Course at St. Andrews.  Most accounts have the course beginning with 12 holes in the ground arranged linearly, roughly in the shape of a 2 mile long backwards question mark.  Play began next to the first hole in the ground, hitting toward the second hole in the ground.  Tees were not invented until much later, so...
I have also attended all types of events: PGA, mini tours, Seniors, LPGA, silly season, and amateur; both regular events and majors.  Three factors stand out to me as tending to make the event most enjoyable, as follows:   1.  The ability to follow some of my favorite players, regardless of age or gender (Couples, Mickelson, McIlroy, Wie, Creamer)   2.  Tournaments featuring players close to my age (senior), who are playing the game more-or-less the same way I am...
 Agreed.  My 12 ball quick swing warm-up when I'm pressed for time is all about "calibrating" that rhythm for the day, 3-4 balls each with a PW, 6 iron, and driver, progressing from a 1/2 swing to a 3/4 swing to a full swing.  I'm not trying out any swing changes.  Its more about getting relaxed and comfortable, to eliminate the tendency to over-crank and smother the first couple real swings. Of course, before I even get to the course, I will have done 10-15 minutes of...