or Connect

Posts by Nemicu

@iacas - My point? The ProV1 proves that there is no need to market a ball based on swing speed selection. End of discussion. Because it is the most popular ball - and the most sold, it proves beyond any doubt that ball selection need not be the complex issue that everyone makes it out to be.   @Pretzel - what is the performance advantage of using one ball for everything?  Are you kidding? Let's flip your argument - lets say you love the way the ball drives but hate the...
That sounds like the Callaway Speed Regime range of balls. Titleist have a different approach - let the numbers do the talking. I've yet to see any evidence from Callaway that the alleged "performance advantage" (reading their blurb) has any validity attached to it - other than "trust us - we know what's best for you".Titleists record speaks for itself, even if you buy into the alleged 'they pay pros to use their ball". Pros are pretty dumb, but they're not dumb enough to...
Here's one fact for ya - The ProV1 was and still is the best selling ball worldwide and has never used the principle of fitting to a specific swing speed or player. It has been sold on the principle that fitting a ball to swing speed is a myth.  Hmmm....so they've been wrong all the time eh? Or maybe I'm the one in denial?
Oh honey hush. You're sounding all cranky. You'll be telling us next they float on water.
 I think you are contradicting yourself again. At ANY swing speed, you are still only accounting for small percentage of your golf round.  Aerodynamics, layers, or any other component Callaway (or you) is touting as "optimised" have absolutely zero effect on shots played for the greatest majority of the round. That is chips and putts - that is a fact for every golfer at every level. So I would ask one last time: how is that ball optimised for anything? The answer is it...
We'll certainly have to agree to disagree. However, Callaway need to decide which element has any value in their sales pitch. They say the cover is optimised to aerodynamics - that has absolutely nothing to do with the other multiple layers to which you refer in relation to ball dynamics. In other words, the other four layers under the cover have zero effect on aerodynamics - the main selling point of the swing speed optimisation concept. Only elements that come into...
I understand, having worked in the trade for several years- I just don't think you do. Even taking into account a players swing profile (e.g. the ubiquitous 105mph swinger) who may swing at lower speeds in correspondence with each descending iron length, the spin rates and trajectory are not an absolute and a variety of shots may been played with partial swings and shot shapes, from dolly chips to full out smoked 2-irons and every potential shot in between. The ball has no...
So by definition, a golf ball that is -quote- "optimised for a 105 mph driver" is not also optimised for an 8-iron for 75mph? It's impossible to have one optimised over the other because the launch characteristics (not least the actual ball speed) are completely different - speed, launch angle, spin rate - these are the 3 fundamentals of ball distance. A golf ball hit with a driver does not have the same effect as that hit with an 8-iron - therefore it cannot be optimised...
  Really? Would you care to explain how a ball allegedly optimised to 15% of your game works? I get how multi layer balls work for a variety of swing speeds - that is the intended purpose - but saying that a ball, or any ball, is optimised for a specific swing speed (and no, there isn't a equivalent iron swing speed) is plain wrong. Kind of dumb, especially when you consider one of their previous marketing lines was: "you can't argue with physics". It seems like Callaway...
Nothing irritates me more than marketing aimed at one specific aspect of golf ball use. So you take your 105mph ball - how many times during a round of golf will that ball be struck at 105 mph? Maybe 10? The rest of time it will be used at less than this speed for irons, wedge shots, chips and putts - all which arguably contribute more to scoring which is what a ball is all about. So in reality, the marketing aimed at matching the golf ball to your swing speed is largely...