or Connect

Posts by ztexz

I don't usually say someone's opinions are idiotic, but this is one of them. Spieth is incredible -- in 15 months, and at the age of 19/20 years old, he went from zero status on the Tour to 10th in the money list, a PGA Tour winner, and playing in the final pair on Sunday at the Masters. "He may win a few majors, but he is not spectacular.""A few majors" is a Hall of Fame career.  It's beyond spectacular: it's among the Top 1/10 of 1% of PGA Tour alumni.  
 I mostly agree.  The one change I would like to see to the Masters field is an end to the lifetime exemption.  It's already a smaller field, and having guys like Craig Staddler or Ben Crenshaw  tie up a spot doesn't do anything for the game, the tournament, or deserving pros (or amateurs) who have an actual shot at making the cut. Let them come participate in the festivities, play the Par 3 tournament with their grandkids, and basically spend the week fawning over them...
I was thinking about this today when I was talking with the mother of one of my son's friends about getting the kids interested in golf.  This mom and my wife are beginners, whereas the other dad and I have been playing since we were kids.   One of the challenges with getting kids and new adults into the game is how damn tough the sport is.  I would LOVE to see a golf course in the area that is specifically designed for kids and new golfers: short holes (e.g. 275-yard...
It's funny looking.  I don't like it.  I'm not going to offer any more of an explanation that that because I don't have one other than: I don't like it.
 I think "Keep your head down" is the absolute worst advice you can give a beginner.  It took me about 2 months of teaching my wife to play before I realized that me saying, "Keep your head down" is what was causing her to dip down at the transition and then pull up over the top of the ball to avoid chunking it 5 feet behind the ball. I found it a lot easier to teach her to "cover the ball" with the club.  For some reason, that particular image just clicked.  (That and we...
Isn't "bed rest" what caused so many of his other problems?  *rim shot* Seriously, though, this could be No Big Deal or it could be The Beginning of the End.  That's just how back injuries work.   His second swing was so insanely violent.  This new swing is almost perfect: nice, narrow stance to take pressure off of the busted leg, and he maintains flex in the left leg instead of snapping it straight up.  The one thing I would like to see is a different way for him to...
 Anyone who says it isn't more interesting when Tiger is in the running is lying.  It's clearly more interesting.  (Now, I get frustrated when he's 8 shots out of the lead and they are showing every practice swing, but he moves the needle...it's just a fact of life.) Fact is, golf needs another Tiger Woods -- that is, a player who captivates.  Personally, I think that next guy is going to be Jordan Spieth, but there are certainly a lot of contenders.  The first crop of...
 That's not the bad part. The bad part is before slamming his club down he backed off it twice, took 12 practice swings, and 47 wiggles.
Loupe just addressed the ball 4 times.  Each time, he took at least 2 practice swings, and sometimes 3.  By my count, he took a total of 10 practice swings.   He then fanned it into a sand trap.   This is ridiculous.  I'm not sure I can watch this nonsense.  
 If ONLY there were a rule governing the pace of play, then perhaps something could be done. But Finchem is just a powerless victim here, as he has no ability to assign, I dunno, penalty shots on people who fall off the clock.  If only!But in all seriousness, I don't have a problem with guys taking some time to discuss a shot.  I get it: these are very, very difficult shots and there is a lot to consider.  But when they then take 7 or 8 practice swings and then back off...