or Connect

Posts by tucsonsean

That's my problem, too. I seem to blade the ball far too easily with it, especially on pitch shots, and chip shots seem to frequently roll out too far. My wife gave me every other club in my bag as well. I doubt if she'll mind if I bench the Niblick.
No, of course you're right--a little too sensitive, I guess. He was basically echoing Frank Thomas in his book, "Just Hit It, " where he reminds golfers like me that the equipment we have is probably as good as we need, and the USGA can make recommendations but its enforcement power is limited to its own tournaments. So Thomas encourages everyone to play whatever equipment he or she likes.
Ah, there it is: the mean-spirited vitriol I sort of expected. My handicap is honest and I play by the rules of golf. My question was out of curiosity, and my curiosity was satisfied. I'm bowing out of this discussion. Thanks to everyone who supplied constructive input.
Of course, I meant differentiate not discriminate. And I wonder what ruling the Monday qualifier playing with a marker would have had to deal with if he had had a boulder interfering with his shot.
There are very few rules I have a problem with actually. And few rulings I disagree with. But would anchored putting be out if Tiger were doing it (after all, when is a 300lb boulder a loose impediment? When you have 30 fans eagerto move it for you). Not picking on Tiger--when is a wheeled crane an immovable object? When it's Ernie Els lining up the shot. If you want to grow the game, you need to openly acknowledge that a pro and an elite amateur are different golfers...
It's not just equipment--you're right, that doesn't really affect anything but the edge it took off getting my 'new' Pings. Some of the rules, like OB, are hard to adhere to on tight, crowded municipal courses. (Even Steve Stricker might be on my side after being OB twice on the same hole at Merion. ) We do what seems fair and move on, but I'm playing the rest of the round knowing ican't submit the score for my handicap. (and on a crowded Sunday I won't hit a provisional...
I'm not sure how to start this thread, and I may regret starting it at all for the subsequent verbal beating I may take. First of all, let me say that I have been a loyal dues-paying member of the USGA since 1984. I'm also a Walking Member since the program started, and one of my most cherished golf memories is attending the Merion Open last year (a birthday present from my wife). This year she bought me a 'new' used set of Ping I10 irons I've wanted since they were...
Not sure I buy the concept either, but I always have my original Big Berthas to fall back on. I want everything constant and about a D2 swingweight .I love my seven iron and often find myself opening or hooding the face to avoid clubbing up or down. So, a bagful of my sevens where only the number on the bottom changes seems like something to try. At any rate, my thread isn't about the the theory of sl irons (that's been debated extensively in other threads) but about shaft...
The Pinhawk single length irons have been discussed frequently on this forum dating back to 2010. Haven't found any detailed discussion of shafts for them though. By six iron design I mean the lie and headweight (according to their website) is that of a six iron. Since I want to build them to about 37", I was wondering if I should put 7 gram plugs in the shaft tip or use heavier shafts to get the swingweight right.
Hi, I'm new here. I want to build a set of Pinhawk sl irons to seven iron length, but I'm not a regular club maker, so I have some questions. The last thread ichecked had 56 entries, and I still didn't find the info i need. First, since the heads are a six iron design, do I need to add shaft weight to the tips or can I just use heavier shafts? Second, if any of you have built these, what shafts would you recommend? Thanks, guys and gals. Haven't posted much, but I'm...