or Connect

Posts by ronzo60

Absolutely! The event only comes along every two years and unlike the past where the Captain was saddled with a player who came in playing in a slump, they can pick someone who is hot. Langer knows how to play in the wind and given last weeks' effort, I think he would be better than a wildcard who has never seen that kind of pressure. The majority of the Ryder Cup is Team oriented anyway, what better way to showcase a great short game and consistent driving?   Since the...
Being one of the Tours' poster boys for distance, I only mentioned DJ, because he was in the mix again in a Major and his short game let him down. Granted, when you approach the green on average from inside 125 yds the stats will reflect that. Putting typically comes after chipping/pitching, and he didn't show up for that part either.  Impressed? Sure, I've seen him pound it in person, but his bunker play was not impressive at all.   The goal of the Post was to reflect...
After watching the Open Championship coverage, I came away weary of "DJ hit that tee shot 364 yds" commentary. Who cares about how far the player hit the ball, when he can't hit a green from inside 100 yds? C'mon, you 've got to be kidding me. Dialing it back would probably void any SLDR ad he has done, but it might win him a few more Tourneys. Tom Watson shot 68 the last day at 64 and should be a wake up call to the egos of the modern Tour.   To me that is absurd, and...
Great posts, Gentlemen! I have always enjoyed Euro Golf coverage. I recall when GC first started and Euro coverage was hilarious, because they would give the viewer barely enough time to see a shot before they moved on to another one. No time for fluff!   Interestingly enough, the casual viewer in the USA would be suprised to learn that on the weekend there is at least 30 guys still on the course when the tv lights come up. Sure, we like to see the Top 10 or so that...
Dan Hicks is enough to drive any viewer batty, with his redundant, repetitive stories about the players'. Viewers of the Senior Open were treated to Gary Koch (I made an 8 on #13) and Peter Jacobsen bantering back and forth about what they would do in a situation. For the love of the game, when will the Producers at NBC ever get a clue on "How to" conduct a broadcast?   Yes, I know there is a thread about the worst announcers on air, but this goes beyond the fluff and to...
Pappy,   Don't head to the pawn shop just yet. If you will agree that the swing is a rotation and not a straight lie drawn between two points, then taking the club away inside is natural. Without "seeing" your swing, I can only surmise that if your move away from the ball at the start of your swing is too severe to the inside, then you leave yourself no way to "turn" back to the ball and then on to the target. In all swings, Yes, even Furyks', the club will return to the...
Place a tee in the end of the grip, leave an inch or so exposed. Go ahead and address the ball with your normal grip. Take the club back in slow motion and begin your wrist action so that the tee points at the ball as you approach waist height. At that moment you will see and feel the wrist movement as natural as can be, and when combined with the arms continue on to the end of the backswing.   Now begin your forward swing, at which time you will begin to feel as if you...
dchoye,   If you really want to snicker, go to youtube and search Shell's WW of Golf where Jack plays Miller at Olympic in the late 80's early 90's. Throttles him as Miller yips it up BAD!
The All Star announcers were in no particular order:   Jim McKay   Tony Jacklin Frank Gifford   Bill Fleming   Henry Longhurst   On 18, you would have heard Chris Schenkel(famous for PBA bowling events), and Dave Marr ( 1965 PGA Champ, and who's son is on the Champions Tour announcing staff)   Guest Commentator of course was Lord Byron Nelson.   I agree about the HDTV aspect, but it is suprising how they had no clue as to how to follow the ball. No one knew...
No, you're right on target. As I said, "The agronomy" improvements has made the playing field better. Pop putting or rather "wristy" putting was required due to the speed of the surface. That combined with different degrees of the putter face, something you don't hear much about these days due to the smoothness of the greens. I had a conversation with Mike Souchak about Augusta and he told me that back in the day, the guys used to miss #9 green short on purpose, so as to...