or Connect

Posts by skydog

Would love to see Sneds play well and make a late season push to make the Ryder Cup.
Putting aside my distaste for the guy, I can't see Reed performing well in the Cup. He's too much of an inexperienced hothead and the pressure/environment over there would really get to him I think.   Obviously a lot is depedent on what Tiger does over the next few weeks, but I think Phil, Webb and either ZJ or Harris English look like solid picks to me (If ZJ doesn't qualify). I'm on the fence on Keegan- lots of energy and enthusiasm but that can work both ways for you....
  Very much agree with you on the pomposity of the media et. al dubbing one strictly as "the Open." As for the pre-Arnie British, I wasn't trying to diminish the event or its champions in that era...a return to "relevancy" was too strong of a word to use. I think there was enough history and greatness in the 100 year history of the championship up to that point that even without Arnie, it would have returned to its proper place in the game ultimately, probably would have...
 I don't care what they want to call it on the other side of the Atlantic but what annoys me here is the concerted push by the media  to call it the Open Championship when, like others have pointed out, that 's not what we've called it since the advent of our Open. To me it's a condescending way to try and establish supremacy over the US Open, which is anything but the case. They're both great tournaments, but let's not act on any continent like the British Open is...
 Even if the economy keeps improving modestly (which is far from a guarantee) it's a zero sum game for the golf industry, IMO, because of the demographics of the country. The golf industry is being supported by baby boomers and as more and more of them start saving more and spending less as they approach retirment, there are far fewer 25-40 year olds with the disposable income, time, or inclination to play in the #s needed. I don't think that will change, even if the...
 Surprised that you think this way. Zinger was ripping Tiger on Sunday over the constant swing changes, basically saying he thought they were unncessary and robbed him of some of his prime. Agree or disagree, but he didn't seem to hold back his opinion.
 Like I said, I don't know what one would be (nor do I think there is one) but obviously the USGA and the like have thought abou the larger hole, tee it forward, etc. initiatives as means of increasing popularity. But to clarify, I guess I mean it as something that would reverse the decline in the game or maybe at least slow the rate of decline.
Part of me wants to like Bubba but his constant spastic behavior, whining, and rudeness just makes it impossible. I don't root against him, but I don't think I can ever route for him.   He keeps on spouting BS about this being his year of "rejoicing" but treating fans like an inconvenience, his caddy like garbage, and the birthplace of golf like a hellhole doesn't really seem like rejoicing to me.
Someone could probably write a disseration on the economic, socioeconomic, and demographic reasons the game is in decline but unfortunately I don't see any reversing of the trend nor do I think there are any silver bullets to stem the bleeding.
I think ESPN's coverage is better than any of the other networks provide and the Sunday round was no earlier than normal (only Saturday was pushed up).   It's a reflection of Tiger not being in the mix....and Rory's large lead going into Sunday didn't help. Rory might be the heir apparent to Tiger's throne but he isn't nearly as blockbuster as Tiger (at least in the States) nor will he ever be. I wish the tour could more broadly attract sports fans, but Tiger appears to...