or Connect

Posts by RandyBobbitt

I started playing at 14. It took me about three months (20 rounds) to break 100, another year to break 90, and in my third year I broke 80 (enough to be a decent high school golfer). I've been a high 70s-low 80s golfer ever since (40 years). I've rarely shot lower than 77 on a consistent basis except for one summer, about 10 years ago, when I was between jobs and either played or practiced almost every day. I got down to a 2.6 index and shot consistently between 72 and...
OMG, I forgot to include my favorite golf shopping story from about 10 years ago. I bought an old carry bag at a one-day charity rummage sale. I knew it would hold only about 6 clubs, but I bought it for trips to the driving range when I didn't want to carry my whole bag. I paid $5 for it, and when I got home and checked the pockets, I found 6 brand new Titleists and a plastic bag holding 8 dollars worth of quarters. 
I don't go to flea markets, but I do check out the golf sections at local thrift stores. I'm usually looking for carry/stand bags -- I'm rough on bags so I buy used ones for $5 to $10 that will usually last me 6 to 12 months. I also prefer the older style single-strap bags (can't stand the double-straps). The single-strappers are hard to find new but are plentiful on the used-ebay-thrift store market.   From time to time I'll also find a gem among the old clubs. Last...
I was a tournament volunteer a few years ago and Natalie was one of the players in my group. My opinion of her changed 180 degrees after that experience. I thought she was a snob before, but I realized during that round how genuinely nice she was and how great she was with the fans, especially kids. As for looks, she's attractive but not the bombshell like everyone says. About the makeup -- way too thick. I noticed that after just a few holes her shirt collars were covered...
Here's something similar to left/right -- good format for four players who don't know each other and/or play at different skill levels: First six holes two against two best ball, next six holes switch partners, last six holes switch again so you end up with a different partner for each six-hole match. For the first six holes, we usually pair the longest and shortest drives together. For the second six holes . . . I don't remember how we did that. I think it was called...
For fun events such as fund-raisers, it's hard to go wrong with a basic 4-person scramble. In most cases, teams are chosen at random. I know it's for fun and not to be taken seriously, but I prefer the old-fashioned way of doing it -- no mulligans for sale, no red tee busters, no selling pieces of string for moving the ball out of the rough, etc. And don't use handicaps.   I grew up on an Air Force golf course and the third Saturday of every month there was an event...
Welcome to The Sand Trap and congrats on getting back into the game.   If you didn't already know about it, there's a great golf facility (27 regulation holes and an 18-hole executive course) at Naval Air Station-Pensacola.
I often see bad players playing ONE set of tees longer than they should .. blue tees instead of white, etc. But this may have been the first time I've seen players TWO tees further back than where they should have been. In this incident, the players wanted to play from the black tees (the tips) when they should driven past the blacks . . . then past the blues . . . and on to the whites . . . or maybe kept going to the yellow (senior) tees.    A good rule of thumb might...
I probably didn't explain the "right toe" thing very well. It's obvious that the putter head would not be covering or obscuring the right big toe unless you had an extreme inside-out arc. What I meant was that the putter head would be even with the big toe. Since I have only a slight inside-out arc, the heel of the putter is just above or outside the right big toe. Anyway, I've been pleased with how this has worked in two sessions on the practice green. The trick will be...
After yet another poor putting performance yesterday, I went to the practice green this morning looking for a quick fix.   I'm watching another guy practicing and notice that he appears to be adjusting his stance based on the length of the putt -- on tap-ins his feet are about six inches apart, and on long putts his feet appeared to be 24 to 30 inches apart. I asked him what was behind the stance, and he said that when lining up the putt he estimates how far back the...