or Connect

Posts by RandyBobbitt

I was fit for Bridgestone 330-RXS balls.   Ricky Fowler  -13 Graeme McDowell -9 Jonas Blixt -8
I've been to the Memorial five or six times, the Wells Fargo twice, and the U.S. Open twice. I doubt if a week-long pass is worth it, because by the seventh day you've done and seen it all and are actually looking forward to going back to work. If I'm making it a two-day trip, it's usually Wednesday-Thursday, so I get one practice round and one tournament round. I also enjoy watching the pros on the practice range and putting green, but that gets old after about an...
I used to see that all the time at my home course when I lived in North Carolina. Neighbors treated the cartpaths as their personal walking/jogging trails, usually late afternoon when there were still people playing. What made it especially dangerous was the number of blind tee shots where you could easily hit someone before you saw them coming over the top of the hill. Luckily, for private or semi-private clubs the management could always use the threat of trespassing...
So much of this depends on the course. I typically shoot around 80, so when I'm playing a new course and trying to choose a set of tees, I look at two things -- overall course length and length of the par-3s. I look for an overall course length of 6300-6500 yards and par-3s between 125 and 175 yards. If there are only three sets of tees, this usually means the back tees; if there are four or five sets, I usually play the second-longest set. There's one course in my area...
Tournament organizers should have assigned one other player to that group, if for no other reason than to keep the other two honest. Some of my golf buddies, for events where we can't get four, will show up with one or two and get paired with other singles or twosomes to form a complete team.   I assume you're talking about the fairness of two good players each getting two attempts at each shot rather than questioning their honesty. I play in many scrambles in which...
The last two years the Golf Channel has made a big deal out of the sectional qualifying day -- two Mondays before the U.S. Open when several 36-hole qualifiers are held. Covered them from dawn until after sundown (sometimes over-covered them). This past Monday TGC ran "Tin Cup" twice and barely mentioned the qualifiers on Golf Central.   Does anyone know why the change in coverage? A falling out between TGC and the USGA, perhaps? Lack of advertiser support?   Just askin'.
I've got an old instructional video that breaks golfers down into three types: arc players, width players, and leverage players. But it doesn't define these terms, and the corresponding video doesn't help. Any ideas what these terms mean?   Also, the Golf Channel has recently started using the term, in describing tour pros swings -- he or she "covers the ball." Unless they're talking about striking the ball with a descending blow or swinging inside out, I have no idea...
What a great place to live! I lived there from 2000 to 2006 and regret leaving. In terms of golf -- the city course is a good layout, but usually not in good shape and very crowded (70,000 rounds per year). I belonged to Pine Valley CC for a few years. A great track, but dues increases and annual "assessments" got to be too much. I ended up at Echo Farms -- a great track, seldom crowded, reasonable membership fees. The only problem was that it didn't drain well after a...
Only had two in 44 years of playing the game. It took me 22 years to get the first one (3-wood from 215 yards), after which I expected to be making them on a regular basis.  Took another 13 years to make the second one (7-iron from 148 yards).
The first concerns dropping from a cart path. My understanding has always been that in order to get relief from a cart path, it has to be artificially paved -- gravel and hard ground (that serve the function of cart paths) don't count. At my course all cart paths are indeed paved, so there's no question. But occasionally I will play another course with gravel paths or areas of hard ground around the green, and when I question a player taking relief, they say "local rule."...