or Connect

Posts by RandyBobbitt

Matt Kucher -2 Ben Martin -2 Hunter Mahan -2
I attended a USGA rules seminar many years ago. The instructor addressed the issue of looking for your nearest point of relief but sometimes finding that puts you dead behind a tree or in another unpleasant situation. He had a great line that I will always remember:  "The rules say you get the nearest point of relief, not the nearest point of relief that you like."
Although it would not count on tour (and I'm not on tour), I've always counted it as half a GIR if the ball is on the fringe and close enough to putt (usually off the green by a foot or less). So at the end of the round, if I've had four cases of missing a green by a foot or less and used the putter each time, that totals two GIRs. That's just for my own diagnostic purposes to see in which areas of the game I'm improving and in which I'm losing ground. Otherwise, a ball an...
The experiment went well yesterday.   At the last minute I added a gap wedge because I realized the gap between my SW (85 yards) and 9-iron (125) was too severe. That made 8 clubs instead of my usual 12.    I kept track of the "improvised shots" in which I either choked down on a longer club or put a bit more testosterone into the shorter club. Six times out of seven, I hit a shot equal to or slightly better than the one I likely would have hit with the club designed...
Best driver I found is the original TaylorMade Rocketballz. It's the non-adjustable version. I hit it about 5 yards shorter than most other drivers, but much straighter and with a great feel. It also looks great. They're going in the 75-100 dollar range on EBay. 
Thanks. I've carried 12 clubs for about 20 years or so. When I play in a scramble and know we're going to be in carts, I'll add a gap wedge and lob wedge, but find it doesn't make that much of a difference. I think lob wedges are effective only if you practice with them a lot. I've found that in most cases I can take my SW, open up the face and accomplish the same short shots.
Does anyone know of any companies that re-finish metal woods and hybrids? I have two hybrids that are probably 15 years old and look like crap. I'm thinking about having them re-finished, perhaps in a custom color.    My only reservation is that I'm pretty sure they need to remove the shaft, and when they put the shaft back in there might be issues.  I had a set of irons re-finished many years ago, and within a few weeks of getting them back, two shafts snapped at the...
I'm coming off a minor shoulder injury, and while my swing is not affected, I'm unable to carry my bag, at least temporarily. Last weekend I played nine holes carrying the bag on my opposite shoulder, but by the end of the nine that shoulder hurt as well. I'm philosophically opposed to riding a cart, and I'm not yet ready for a pull cart. I don't care for the imagery, and it might not help with the shoulder issue.    I bought a small carry bag (holds 7-8 clubs and has...
Based on the people I've played with, I think that 225-250 is about right for single-digit handicappers. But when you get into double digit handicaps, especially over the age of 60, I think the 150-200 figure is more realistic.   Just my .02 worth. 
Comparing golf equipment marketing to the marketing of electronic gadgets is valid. It's all about planned obsolescence -- persuading the golfer to ditch last year's $400 driver for this year's $400 driver and the gadget user to replace last year's $500 gadget with this year's $500 gadget. Like the morons who spend the night outside of the gadget store to be first in line.    I've got a TaylorMade driver from 2012 and one from 2002 -- and I hit them exactly the same...