or Connect

Posts by graham57

My wife and I played some very unusual golf last summer: we played on the only "clothing optional" course in Europe (the world?). We wondered what the feeling would be like and soon found out: after a couple of holes, you were simply playing golf - the nudity wasn't a big thing as you concentrated on your game. the only difference between us was that my wife actually preferred playing barefoot, because of the "connection" to the ground talked about in another post, whereas...
I hate snobism in golf - I grew up in Scotland where just about every boy plays golf (ok: soccer takes first place), and where the unemployed play golf because they have the time and public courses are so cheap.   I now live, work and play golf in Germany and I played one time with a couple where the guy looked at my shoes and asked if they were real golf shoes or not (with obvious disdain). When I showed him the soles and he saw that they were "Ecco" brand golf shoes (a...
 This is an interesting point: on my home course, 10 greens are not protected at the front by bunkers (1 of those is, however, is largely protected by a water hazard), 7 greens have at least part of the front protected by greenside bunkers, leaving a partial "channel" to approach through (though - depending on pin position - this may leave you with a very long putt), and only one is completely protected by a frontside horseshoe bunker. I am not confident enough about the...
 Far from blasting this analysis, I think it is very accurate and conveys insight based on experience. In another thread on 40-60 yard approach shots, the exact same differences in course playability came up: in the UK (and a lot of the rest of Europe - I play in Germany), the low approach into the green with a 7 iron to pitching wedge which stays on the air 50-60% of the distance and rolls the rest is a common shot. In the US, it seems that - on account of the softer...
Just an afterthought: my homecourse here in Germany allows play most of the winter, but to temporary winter greens. We have not so cold, but very wet winters here, and the ground gets waterlogged and heavy. On my first round this winter, my "normal" approach shots with a pitching wedge would land short and hardly roll at all, so I switched to the high wedge to the green, which has been working much better. After onkey's insight into fairway conditions leading up to the...
onkey may have hit the nail on the head: as most of my golf has also been played in the UK or Germany, I'm talking basically about similar conditions. I have played some in the US and Canada, some of it in quite dry courses (in Florida), where the fairways were very firm and the ball would run for ages, but that may not be typical. Softer fairways with less roll would make it much better to go straight for the green with a high shot. I play a few rounds in Thailand every...
I think maybe I confused the issue  by using the term "bump and run" - you are right, this is really only for short shots round the green. However, up to around 60 yrads out I am still faced with the decision whether to play a lower trajectory shot with a pitching wedge, which will stay in the air for around 50-60% of the time and run the rest (I am assuming there are no bunkers or any other obstacles in between, that the green is not elevated, and so on), or hit a high...
Guys I play with have been advising me to bump and run (I use my pitching wedge) wherever possible, as that's the easiest shot when you have the opportunity to play it. I have been following their advice but am not happy with my distance control: after a spell of hitting it too hard, I have become too conservative and tend to leave it short. I almost never have a mishit, and am rarely off line, but precise distance is the problem for me. At any rate, I leave myself with a...
Set of three shots, actually. Playing a course in Bangkok, Thailand, for the first time. Landed off the tee deep in trees on the right of the fairway 3 times during the round. Each time there was a little gap in the foliage "roof" to allow me to play to the green (or, on one par 5, to set up the approach from the fairway). Had to use a different club in each situation (6 iron, 9 iron and pitching wedge) to get the desired elevation and distance. Worked perfectly each time....
I go along with what @Fourputt said, too: There is basically no theoretical argument for walking ahead - it's quite clear that you shouldn't do it. However, when playing outside of competitions, it can speed up play, and I actually believe it can reduce the pressure on the player with the shorter shot, as not everyone is standing there waiting for him to play. However, as in everything else on the golf course, safety and common courtesy should never be forgotten. Assuming...