or Connect

Posts by graham57

At my home club (in Germany) it is allowed to start your round on the 10th hole, if there is space for you to fit in. We interpret this as meaning that - if the flight playing the 9th hole is on or around the green, you wait and let them play through. If they haven't hit their approach shots yet, and there is no-one on the fairway within driving range, it's ok to jump in. This would basically also apply to skipping holes and jumping in anywhere on the course. On every...
In Thailand (where my wife comes from), anything up to six players in a flight is allowed, which makes for really slow rounds. However, on account of the heat and humidity, there are rest areas with kiosks selling food and drink every third or fourth tee, and flights regularly take 1-3 breaks during the round, letting the flight behind them play through. Also, there are so-called "call holes". This basically means that, if on a par 3 the group in front has not cleared the...
I think you are probably right. Europe is very diverse, and Germany is a lot "looser" in this respect than the UK.
With regard topros peeing on the golf course: we went to the only men's international tournament to be played in Germany this year (BMW International Open), where many of the world's top players were playing (Stenson, Kaymer, Garcia, etc.). I was astonished to see that several pros simply walked to te edge of the fairway and stood in front of the bushes with their backs to the crowd to relieve their bladders. I have no qualms about peeing in the bushes on the course, but...
In Germany, you do have to sit both a rules and etiquette test (written) and a practical test before you can officially play on a golf course. While it took some getting used to (coming from Scotland, where just about everybody plays golf with practically no formal preconditions), it does mean that everyone has at least been given the opportunity to understand what respectful play means.   With regard to hitting into people: both my son and I are 6'6" and can (on...
With regard to wearing or not wearing hats - I think if I happened to be wearing one, I'd probably remove it when shaking hands, but I wouldn't be upset if somebody else didn't. The post on socks really gets me going: I have refused to play at clubs with what I regard as an exaggerated dress code, including a "white socks only" rule (and they had to be knee-high as well). Equally, I don't care which way round someone wears their cap - if the sun is beating down, the last...
Here's one which was recently pointed out to me by an experienced player, and which I had never thought about before. When you are attending the flag as a courtesy to another player, stand on the side of the flag where your shadow does not fall on the cup. A number of posts have talked about paying attention to your shadow, but in this particular situation you are already trying to be helpful and courteous, and might not think about where your shadow is falling.   I have...
I know a lot of people are fed up with this thread going on so long. But David in FL's first post about passing values on to our kids addresses some very fundamental issues for us all, not just as golfers, but as people. I remember once when I was around 10 climbing the wall to a school close to our house with a friend and just wandering around (we had no intention of damaging or stealing anything, it was just an adventure). The janitor chased us off the premises and told...
I play Titleist 690 MB irons and love the feel when you get it right. Before that, I had Maxfli A10's and blades, which were made of relatively soft metal and had a real buttery feel to them. I have always struggled with keeping fairway woods straight, but find I can hit consistently with the 3-iron. When I saw Maxfli 1 & 2 irons on ebay, I went for them. However, I find that, even on a good hit, I don't get any advantage over my Titleist 3-iron, so I have taken them out...
Having read all the contributions, I am still not clear. I have exactly the same problem, and always assumed it was due to the shaft not being stiff enough, my logic being that the shaft is still bent at the moment of impact and therefore starts off right. I thought that getting a stiffer shaft fitted would help (I am 6'6" tall and my swing speed is just under 100 mph). If this logic is wrong, can somebody please explain why?