or Connect

Posts by graham57

Hat off to Zach Johnson. From a Scot, I have never granted anyone the victory as much as Zach. His winning speech was an example in humility and authenticity. As he said himself: Tip o' the cap!
I am tall (6'6") and pretty heavy (250 lbs, chest 50"), though this is more evenly distributed body mass than a particlularly big stomache. I find it important to play with extended clubs (1-1.5") so that I am not crouching and cramping at address. The other thing that our local pro impressed on me is to go easy on the backswing: not taking the club too far back and round, but more "lifting" it once my hands get past shoulder height. I find this does help to straighten my...
Because I love my Titleist irons (690 MB), I decided to switch from TaylorMade RAC to Titleist Vokey SM4 wedges and managed to buy a whole lot of them for little money off ebay (52, 54, 56, 58, 60). My RAC's were 52/56/60 and it always seemed to work well for me, but I decided to try the 54/58 and somehow feel even more comfortable with that. Trouble is, my 52 wedge has become more or less redundant (I only used it for one shot in a full round yesterday, and even that was...
There is no way I would claim to have played the world's great courses, but we play regularly in Thailand and some of the courses there are fantastic (we even played one with a par 6 dogleg!). I have also played some lesser-known courses, such as Kircudbright in Southern Scotland, which afforded me a lot of please with a lot of holes of real character. What I look to get out of threads like this is less a world ranking of golf courses, than personal tips to courses you...
I'll second that! Like one of the other posters, I only ever paid attention to loft, and never bounce. However, a couple of years ago we started playing regular rounds in Thailand (the rest of our golf is played in Germany, where we live, and the UK), and found that the grass there was very different to the conditions I was used to. The individual blades are much thicker and stronger, so the ball tends to sit up more. This was causing my wedges to slide right under the...
I don't think it's only a question of driver or no driver: finding the right driver is key. I have been through a number of drivers (TaylorMade 580, r5 and r9, Mizuno MP 600, along with a couple of Callaways - all purchased from ebay) and found them vastly different to hit. I treated myself last year to a new Titleist 913-D2 and have found I can hit it less far (230-250 yards), but consistently straighter. I am now starting to experiment with different shafts, to see if...
What about Tom Lewis smashing his 3 wood? IMHO, unworthy of pro golf. And neither commentator voiced any disapproval! That couldn't go down well with the Thai public.
Watching the True Thailand Classic live today on TV. English pro Tom Lewis hit a bad second shot on a par 5 and expressed his anger by smashing his 3 wood on the ground, breaking the shaft with such force that the head flew back between his legs and span off about 5 yards. In the same way that professional soccer or football players are supposed to be role models for younger people watching the sport, and that sport is supposed to be an environment where kids can learn to...
 Far from being either! This information (thanks for it) would have been a real comfort a few weeks ago - now I just switched to Vokey SM4's. I guess I need to read the small print next time! Might as well get used to them now, though.
This is a good point. Besides the driver question, probably alot more people are affected by wedges becoming illegal after regulations regarding grooves changed. I have a Titleist wedge in my bag which I learned only recently (on this site!) is now illegal. I am in the process of replacing it, but feel a bit put out, as it presumably will (and is supposed to) reduce my potential ability to produce backspin or at least stop the ball quickly on the green. Somewhat...