or Connect

Posts by Patch

I read an article once that said it would cost between $8-$12 per square foot to do a golf course in synthetic turf. $300,000.00 per hole on average. Grass itself is much cheaper until you add in maintenance, fertilizer, watering,  irrigation lines, pumps, valves and assorted other electrical stuff.  
As I said above, I'd play on it. Then again I tend to hit the ball on the thin side. Those folks who would need to take divot might find it some what tougher. Unless of course they make it so a person could take a divot. I don't think the technology come that far as yet.  
I'd say he's been pretty good, and one of the best the past 10-12 years. However, like golfers who define their success on the number of majors won, Super bowl rings define quarterbacks. That alone means Brady has some claim to the best of this era.    Now if you just go by stats, then yes Manning is at the top of heap for the past decade. Not many are even close to the numbers he has put up.   Criteria always throws a wrench in things.  
I voted regular 2 wins with no major victory. It would not be hard for him to win against a weak field if he is reasonably healthy. He'd have be extremely healthy, with solid mechanics, hitting on all cylinders to win a major.   I think if he does win a major, it will be one of the first two, before normal tournament wear, and tear does too much damage.     I also think if there had been a choice that he would incur another season ending injury I might have gave that...
Not a problem for me. 
Players playing competitive golf do not have to be offensive to those around them. Of course there are probably some competitive golfers who have to be offensive to be comfortable. on a golf course. You will see this offensive, competitive person in all walks of life. Quite a few will be successful in their endeavors. I suspect there might be a few of these types of folks on all social forums regardless of the topic.    The problem with the "elite" amateur player the OP...
In the minority here I think, but I use different clubs for different distances. It's all about carry and roll for me. Some golfers are so good, they have the feel to use one club for everything. I can't do it with just one club. I'll use a 5i all the way to LW depending on the situation for my chips, and pitches.  I have even used my 7w on a few occasions.  I might suggest next time you are at the practice greens to use various clubs, and learn what they do from the same...
Do you use the same club, or various clubs for the distances involved? I am not an expert by any means, but it sounds to me like you might just be hesitant in your stroke because you don't know how far (carry & roll) the ball will go. I have watched golfers, when practicing, more than few of them don't watch how far the ball will go. They were just happy to hit a good practice shot. Once on the course, when the stroke count, they tense up. Tension in any golf stroke makes...
Grip pressure, feel, and mental pictures to me are a personal thing. I don't think they can be taught, and if copied, it is by accident. I just remember thinking this is just a better way to get the ball closer to the hole, and even in the hole sometimes. I was already a good putter at the time, and this method was basically my putting stroke. There was nothing to get use to, and nothing felt uncomfortable. It just worked from day one.  
Just a side note on ESA's. Some years back there was a GC show that was shot up in Mesquite Nevada. It might have been one of those "Big Break" shows, but I am not sure. At the course they were using, there were some ESAs that were clearly marked. During the show, on more than few occasions. the golfers hit balls into some of these restricted areas. Every time, the golfers were allowed to enter these areas and play their ball. Also, the camera man doing the filming,...