or Connect

Posts by chasm

Don't play with people who insist on using the time between shots to tell you what's wrong with: 1. Young people today; 2. Welfare; 3: Immigrants 4: (Insert appropriate subject here) It's bad for your game.
Always unwise to make assumptions. And this probably isn't the forum for a political debate. Suffice it to say that it is impossible for "the critics" to "step up to the plate" because of the stranglehold the mainstream parties have on the process.As for getting what we deserve, the turnout in the Scottish referendum looks like being over 80%. People will engage if they are presented with a real choice between distinct alternatives, on an issue that matters. The UK...
It's going to be tight. Maybe not as tight as the Quebecois version, but tight. There's been political panic here this week, every mainstream political party telling the Scots (whom they have largely ignored for years) how much they love them, all the financial institutions threatening imminent apocalypse if they go independent, blah blah. Were I forced to have a bet, my money would be on a narrow 1%-2% majority to stay in the union. But it is far from impossible that the...
This, of course. The sterling/euro exchange rate is 1:1.26, so a fee of £150 would initially be set at €189.However, there's a bigger problem with this discussion, which is that the Scottish Government has made it clear that even if it wins the referendum on independence it has no intention of joining the Euro. Its preference is to keep the pound. Even if the residual UK Government blocks a currency union, as it says it will, there is nothing to stop Scotland simply...
Yes, this. One of the hardest things for me to re-learn (I'm not there yet, but it's coming) has been to dial it back and not try to muscle the ball away. Going for a repeatable rhythm, rather than trying to lash the cover off the ball, is what works.If I feel like I'm swinging hard with my driver the ball ends up in the trees. If I feel like I'm swinging at 80% I'm much more likely to be straight, and I'm longer, too. And the truth is, the actual (as opposed to perceived)...
I too play with seniors who adopt this strategy. It's OK, but only if you're happy to remain a bogey golfer. If you can drive only 160 yards you're going to be 200 yards from the hole on shortish par 4s. And by definition, for a hitter as short as that, that's more than one shot.The thing is, most of those seniors whose strategy you're admiring haven't adopted it as a matter of choice. If they could reliably hit the ball further, they would. What they are engaged in is...
The question isn't what the club has the right to do, it is what it ought to do. The R&A, as a club, no longer governs the game here, it devolved that responsibility to a separate company some years ago. But it retains a symbolic status as the custodian of the history and ethos of the game. As such, what it chooses to do matters, in setting a tone and influencing public perception of golf and the way it is run. That being the case, it is ludicrous that at a time when the...
Creeping down. I'm impatient, but I have to remind myself that I only came back to the game in January after 6 years off, and Back in the day I was only an occasional golfer anyway. Plus I'm old. Started the year with some lessons and playing as much as I could, which earned me a handicap of 18.0. Playing more or less to that for a few months, with some ups and downs. Now a couple of decent scores have me to 16.2. More importantly, if I don't break 90 I'm a bit...
I've had an interesting time this past month. At the end of July I went to Scotland with some friends to play some great links courses, some of them famous, some less so. I played twelve straight days, did OK, felt by the end that I was in a pretty good rhythm. Came back to my home course and for a week or so I had never hit the ball better. In particular, I was driving the ball well. Then, for a fortnight, I simply couldn't hit the ball at all. I was standing over it...
83 on a reasonably testing par 70 parkland course. Given that this included a triple bogey and a double bogey, for most of the round this was pretty much the best golf I've ever played. Progressing, slowly...