or Connect

Posts by chasm

There wasn't anything snobby about it. When it started, it was the only one. There was no need to call it "The British Open" because there wasn't another. It was simply "The Open Championship" because anyone (any professional, to start with) could enter.It's similar to why British postage stamps have nothing that explicitly say they're British. When they were introduced, they were the only ones in existence.
Very wet today in Liverpool, but light winds. Difficult to say how that will affect the front-runners, as the forecast is pretty consistent throughout the day. Look for low scores on Sunday, though, with a softened-up course in calm conditions. Still think McIlroy will experience a slump before this is over. Garcia is still in touch. Time he won one of these.
Scotch is a whisky. The people are Scottish. But yes, I drive up from England.
Conditions likely to be a little bit less friendly on Friday. I'm thinking neither Woods nor McIlroy break par, and that a whole heap of players finish within one or two shots of the lead. Leader? Scott, -6.Watch Westwood, though. He looked capable of going on a run of birdies yesterday, and he's an early starter. His putter will stop him being in contention on Sunday, of course - as usual.
I didn't know that. It's certainly one of the oldest, they've been playing there continuously since 1832 or thereabouts.I don't play these courses regularly, but I'm spending a couple of weeks playing some of the famous lowland Scottish courses with a few friends. I'll post a review in the golf courses forum when we're done, if anyone's interested.
Obviously it depends on the course. However, for those brought up on parkland layouts, links courses can seem almost incomprehensibly difficult. I played North Berwick today. Classic links course, and probably playing easier than usual because there was very little wind. But the undulations, strategically-placed deep (DEEP) traps and general terrain required a degree of inventiveness and improvisation that was simply beyond me. I was hitting the ball pretty well but...
Fair enough. But if youngish men are finding a round of golf is tiring them out, the answer is clear. They need to work on their physical conditioning.
Well, let's not argue about semantics. But as someone who is reasonably fit, do you really regard a round of golf as an endurance test? I certainly don't. I eat when I'm hungry, I stay hydrated, the idea that walking four or five miles degrades my performance is ridiculous to me.
Guys, really? I'll be 60 next month. I walk, and carry my bag, around my 6400 yard, hilly, home course. Last Tuesday I played 36 holes. It was only about 23 degrees (75F) which may not be hot by American standards, but still... . I was playing as well, or as badly, at the end as I was when I teed off in the morning. Golf is just a walk, it's impossible for me to take it seriously as exercise. If I want exercise, I go out on my bike. If you're fatigued after pushing a...
I haven't voted, because I think there isn't a clear answer. My home course is pretty tough. When I play "new" courses nearby, I typically score better than at home because they're less difficult. However, I occasionally go to play a different course further afield just because it has a reputation. For example, next week I'll be playing a course that is scheduled to host a future Scottish Open, and another that is an Open Championship qualifier. On those courses I expect...