or Connect

Posts by chasm

I have just spent a couple of weeks on a golfing trip in lowland Scotland, on either side of the Firth of Forth. My companions and I played some terrific courses, a few of them quite famous, a few less so. I thought a brief review might be useful to thise who might be planning, or dreaming of, golfing vacations in the future. East Lothian: a short drive east of Edinburgh on the south bank of the Firth of Forth. Gullane #1 links course, 6583 yards off white tees, hosting...
Personally I'd pick Langer in a heartbeat, the way he's playing. He's not that old, and he's certainly in better form than either Poulter or Westwood, for example. EDIT. FWIW, I'm several years older than him and have no problem playing 36 holes in a day on successive days. And unlike Bernhard, I don't have a caddy... or much talent.
Some do, of course. But rarely with strangers, and those who often post scores substantially below their handicap soon find it pretty difficult to find any takers.
What do you mean, not strange? The point of maintaining a handicap is to enable one to compete. Doing what you describe would enable the player to maintain a competitive advantage which he then deliberately voids by choosing to play badly in competition. Not strange?
 Well, that's true. But it would be a strange sort of sandbagger who deliberately posted high scores in games that mean something, in order to maintain a high handicap for those that don't.
Not all. The main advantage of the Brit system of counting only competition scores is that if you fail to put in your card after a good round you're effectively disqualifying yourself from the competition. It's much more likely, over here, thatt a player will fail to put in his card after a bad round than a good one..Huh? Isn't that the whole point of the handicap system? As a high handicapper I am inconsistent. That usually works against me, but now and again I'll go...
I'm trying to avoid slipping into a routine. Instead I try to focus each practice session on whatever it is I'm making a priority, and that will be different on different days. In particular, I'm trying to stay away from hitting the same club repeatedly. Today I was concentrating on swing path and going up and down the bag, hitting driver, five-wood, 7-iron and wedge in pretty much random order. I find it helps me to concentrate on setting up correctly every time if I...
The tradition here is that one buys a drink for whoever is in the bar at the end of the round. But since that can get expensive on busy days, it's usually modified. At my club the guy who makes the ace asks for a bottle of scotch to be put on the bar, and everyone who wants one helpsthemselves to a shot - or two. If he's a member, he then replaces the bottle (thus ensuring he doesn't have to pay over-the-bar prices) next time he comes in. It's a reasonable system. Bad...
Thanks. That's quite clear.
So are you saying that a US player whose handicap is ten will get 11 or 12 shots if the course he is playing is more difficult than those on which the handicap was acquired? I didn't know that. And surely it would have the effect of doublng the advantage, given that the handicap is already taking account of the ratings of the courses played?