or Connect

Posts by chasm

Speaking as an older golfer, I completely disagree with this. The whole point of the handicap system is to allow players of varying abilites to compete against one another. If you're a short hitter, your handicap will be higher to compensate. There's no need to shorten the course as well.
Sure. But there are some pretty impressive stories, too. The oldest regular golfer at my club is 85. He was a 5-handicapper in his day, and can still hit the ball 200 yards and play to 15. Pretty amazing, really.
I'm absolutely not disputing the fact that swing speeds have increased, you know much more about that than I do. I am, however, sceptical about the supposedly improved athleticism of most pro golfers.Obviously Woods, McIlroy and a bunch of others show the evidence of long hours in the gym. I wonder, though, how much better the more heavily-muscled Woods is than was the slimmer, lighter version that turned pro and ran away with the Masters?Plus, many top pros are...
Yes, Nicklaus in the early 60s carried a fair but of weight. He was extremely strong, though.None that I can think of who were quite as big as Kevin, though. When Craig was being called "The Walrus" he was substantially slimmer than his son is at a similar age
Up to a point. I'm no spring chicken myself, but so far not so decrepit that I can't get the ball down the track. But I play with some older guys, and one of them very much fits the description you give. I hit my 7-iron as far as he hits his driver, but he's never out of the fairway, chips and putts pretty well, and generally gets round in close to bogey figures.So far, so good. Has he "very little frustration"? Certainly not. I never play with him without him bemoaning...
What would I do for an extra forty yards? Keep doing what I'm doing, I suppose. Practice, take advice, try to get better. I've got a bit longer in recent months, but am typically driving the ball only about 230 yards. 250 is a big hit for me. I think my main limitation is that my angle of attack is too close to the horizontal, I need a more positive launch angle. Forty more yards may be beyond my scope. But making 250 the rule rather than the exception would make a...
No doubt he'll reply for himself.And the trees comment makes no sense to me. You can't regularly drive into the woods and play to 7.5.
Really? With a 7.5 handicap?
Have a look on YouTube for "Jack Nicklaus swing slow motion". I think you will conclude that in his prime he was hitting the ball as hard as anyone. He (and Hogan, and Player and so on) certainly weren't holding back for fear of mis-hits. I don't think there's much doubt that there has been some improvement in the physical conditioning of a lot of top pros, so maybe the average swing speed on Tour has risen over the years. But most of the difference in length is not in...