or Connect

Posts by 1badbadger

I'm not sure how they can claim that this is "the golf ball that will change golf balls"...it's pretty much a copy of the B330-RX, just 6 years later. Every feature that they mentioned can be said about the RX...it's a 65 compression ball, it has a urethane cover, low driver spin, it's long and straight etc.  I'm surprised when they started talking about the compression, they discussed that most tour balls are somewhere around 95-105, and the softer models are about 85-90,...
The reason you're hitting your 5 wood further than your driver is because the shaft is shorter and it has more loft.  A longer shaft is much harder to control, so as the shaft gets longer there is a higher percentage of off-center hits.  The additional loft is getting the ball in the air properly and allowing it to carry.  So the combination of on-center hits and a higher trajectory are why you're hitting a fairway wood longer than a driver.  I have a lot of experience...
Here's another option if you're interested.  He's in Arlington TX and has been in business a long time.  His prices are fair...I wouldn't say cheap but he definitely doesn't over-charge and his work is top shelf.   http://www.customputterworks.com/
   It is true that not all companies have a golf ball plant...they aren't cheap to build or equip, plus maintain them.  Nike is obviously the biggest example of this, but then again Nike doesn't manufacture anything...all of their products are farmed out.  They do have their own design team and R&D dept, so they develop their golf balls just like other companies, but they have another manufacturer produce them.  For a number of years Bridgestone manufactured all of Nike's...
For sale is a Bridgestone j40 2H (18*) hybrid head in new condition.  The plastic wrap has been removed, but it is unshafted and has never hit a ball. It is a stock head and has not been modified in any way.  Features include:   -Stainless steel construction with thinner crown allows discretionary weight to be moved to the perimeter for added forgiveness -Tungsten weight at heel to optimize CG for easy launch and low spin -Blade-like masking along top edge for an easy...
For sale is a new j40 445 driver head still in the plastic wrap.  It's a stock 12* head and there have been no modifications made to it.  Features include:   -6-4 titanium construction with thin crown wall section allows discretionary weight to be moved to the perimeter for added forgiveness -Stainless steel weight at heel and short hosel to optimize CG for mid to high launch with low spin -Variable face thickness design for higher ball speed on off-center hits    
 There are several reasons why there is that much tape on those irons...if the player had some grinding done to get a certain look or shape, that will lighten the head weight.  If they use a grip that is heavier than normal grip like a midsize, or if they put extra tape under the grip to build it up this will cause the swingweight to get lighter and it could take a number of strips of tape to get the weight back up.  A heavier shaft will actually increase the swingweight,...
 This is a good option for players who don't like the look of lead tape on their clubs.  It's more expensive than lead tape though, and it's not as easy to un-do if you change your mind, but if you prefer your clubs to look "stock" it's worth considering.A number of years ago lead tape was more common on tour, and it seemed like almost everyone had tape on at least one club, but there are guys who still use it.  Here's a couple of pics of Boo Weekly and Adam Scott's bags: 
 I have a lot of experience with lead tape, and I agree with Dad 100%.  Lead tape is a great way to increase the swingweight of your clubs, it's inexpensive, easy to use and you can't make a mistake...worst case scenario peel it off and start over.  It won't hurt the finish of your clubs either.The grips that you mentioned will actually decrease the swingweight and make the clubhead feel lighter...make sure you avoid any type of "counterbalancing" weights.
Ben Hogan (from any point in his career) could be dropped into a Tour event tomorrow and would smoke everybody fashion-wise.