or Connect

Posts by rb72

You have to go back and read the correction i made right after this post. Also my accuracy % is not based on degrees but on the % of tee shots in play.
And here's the problem with the figures in your table. The 2 degrees IS the constant. For a good golfer, that's significant because he's probably no more than 5 degrees off on most of his shots, for the HH who averages 15 degrees offline  it's a drop in the bucket. it's the difference between going OOB at the 150 mark and going OOB at the 160 mark. It's still OOB. So of course the extra twenty yards is going to help him because while his bad shots are still bad shots, his...
What I've done here, in response to someone who asked for a better experiment was to put forth a hypothesis. My hypothesis is based largely on my personal experience (in terms of the percentages indicated). The stimulus is a given distance and accuracy relationship. the observed reaction is the golf score. As in any scientific experiment attempting to prove or disprove a hypothesis, you must hold all other things (skill level of player, golf course played,..etc.) constant....
BTW, let's clear this up. While the topic is titled "Is Distance Really That Important for Amateurs?" The OP was clearly implying "as compared to keeping it in play" as he went on to describe a scenario wherein his playing partners were out-distancing him by a wide margin but his short, in play shots were garnering him lower scores.
 So it's the assumptions or the "controlled" part of my experiment that you don't like. I was only trying to establish that IF you are gaining a 10% increase in distance at the expense of a 30% decrease in accuracy it will not result in lower scores. You could easily change it to 15% on the distance and 25% on the accuracy. Like I already said in a post prior to you post, there has to be a tipping point somewhere. And IF my personal experience is on the wrong side of that...
Wow, okay accusing me of making stuff up is just ridiculous. I proposed a method of experimenting and I recounted my own experience. No reasonable person could possibly interpret that as "making stuff up". I certainly can't argue with your assessment of accuracy with the 3 wood as compared to the driver, since that, as I said, actually reflects my own experience, but I was always under the impression that the conventional wisdom was that if you're having trouble with your...
Okay and if that particular example were representative of your "average" experience I would say you should definitely go for the distance because if you're 15 yards off on a 300 yard shot that's a pretty tight dispersion compared to losing 50-60 yards in distance. There has to be a tipping point somewhere. If for 10% more distance you're giving up 10% accuracy I would guess it's worth it but at 30% accuracy, I don't think so. And my theory is that the higher the HC, the...
You're missing the point. A lot of high handicappers hit their 3 wood more reliably than they hit their driver and actually I'm not one of them. That's why my method of choice is to cut back on the driver and that actually creates the percentages that I've used. It's not just the extra 25-30 yards that puts you OB (or lost) its they wider range of dispersion from a club (or swing) that you don't control as well (hence loss of accuracy) but hit farther with. The bottom line...
Okay, lets start by assuming that we're not talking about improvement when answering the question "what's more important, distance or accuracy in terms of lowering your score?", because improvement of any kind will increase distance, accuracy and lower your score. So lets assume the case of the golfer who can reliably hit his 3 wood but sprays his driver. Keep in mind I'm not saying this would be a practical experiment because it would be hard to do, but i believe it would...
I don't see that as less accurate. If you your dispersion is 5 degrees off the center line then yes eventually you'll get to the rough by hitting farther but 5 degrees dispersion is 5 degrees dispersion. Same accuracy.