or Connect

Posts by DwightC

Good decision by Woods.  I hope he didn't do any long term damage to himself over the last six weeks.
Bubba has a basic problem.  I'm sure he's the same guy he was before he won the Masters.  But he wasn't attracting the same kind of attention then.  Now he does, and he has developed with the pollsters can a high negative name recognition.  His public persona has set (he got the ball rolling and it assumed, as they always do, a life of its own), and now he has to live with it.  And it's harder to improve a negative persona than it is to lose a positive one.  Bad Boyz do...
Just to stay on topic, at the end of the day (which it was), I think this was not about the competitors, but about the tournament administration.  They may have sought some input from Phil, Ricky, Rory and Bernd ("you guys okay with them hitting up?"  "you guys wanna keep going?"), but the call was theirs.  You can fault them for wanting to finish on Sunday, you can fault them for the confusion (though everybody was under the gun), you can speculate on how the players...
Rory has star power.  My wife doesn't give a flip about golf and she know who he is.   Me:  "The Irish kid won."   Her:  "You mean Rory?"   Me:  "How'd you know his name?"   Her:  "Somebody at school told me."   This is the woman who, when I mentioned last week that it would be interesting to see how Tiger would do over the weekend, says:  "Is Tiger Woods still playing golf?"   Me:  "Er, yeah.  He's not dead."   Of course, she and her friends all belong to the...
  I think you nailed it.  This is why you have to give the Committee (Rules term), tournament administration, the classroom teacher, the unit commander, the front line supervisor, whatever, a great deal of authority and discretion in handling situations as they arise.
This is a tempest in a teacup.   I took the unsporting step of actually reading the relevant rule of golf (Rule 33, and 33-3 to be specific).  The Committee (i.e., the tournament administration) has very broad powers running a competition.  If you recall the third day of the British Open, the tournament administrators sent the field off in threesomes, early, to give themselves so latitude in the event of rain/lightning delays.  Here, the committee simply moved things...
Phil and Ricky did the right thing.  And, as I recall, Phil is famously knowledgeable about the rules and effectively uses them to his advantage (when it's sportsmanlike to do so).  Wasn't he the guy who managed to convince a Rules Official to declare a swimming pool 'casual water' and take a free drop in an Arizona Tour event years ago, when somebody had failed to properly mark the course boundary?
Yeah, I also noticed that once he was out of it at Valhalla--after the 7th hole (when making the cut became, basically, impossible)--that he played the last 11 holes of the round in one under.  I'm assuming that's because he dialed it back a little bit.  The guy has a back problem, obviously, but he's also got a problem between his ears.  There is more to self-control and self-discipline than just pushing yourself harder.   I think Tiger is in match play with Father Time...
You know, there are three different arguments in this thread--(1) the relative importance of the United States in the world, (2) the decline (?) of golf in the United States and (3) Rory's star power.  Let's forget the first one, because it's politics and this board isn't about politics.  On the second one, all I can say is that the business of golf may be lousy--thanks to real estate driven course overbuilding, poorly managed equipment, trending fads, etc.--but it's a...
Nevets88--Great sequences.  Thanks for posting!