or Connect

Posts by DwightC

The game's in great shape, the business, not so much.  But keep in mind that some of the business issues have silver linings that actually benefit the game.  For instance, the exuberance of the recent course building boom has improved access and affordability in much, if not most, of the country.  It may be a little hard on the owners/investors who built the courses, but that's the free market for you.  As a golfer, what's not to like about more choice, lower cost and less...
so, since this guy is an Oregon story, are you a Duck (green) or a Beaver (orange)?  You've used both colors to highlight.   I lean towards Eugene, myself.   Look, this is a deep Oregon story.  The guy is playing out of a country club, not the golf club next door, which is a player's club like Champions in Houston.  That, really, tells you all you need to know.   And, yessir, he does have a handicap.  I suspect he enters it himself in the computer.  when he has a...
Well, I just read the last six weeks of his blog.  I haven't read all 85+ pages of this thread.  As I write this, Dan is a bit over half way through his 10,000 hours.  And he's playing to a single digit handicap.  And he's not made much progress recently.  He appears to have reached the limit of his potential, as they used to say in an era when passing judgment and discriminating between the talented and the earnest wasn't considered offensive elitism.   It's been an...
Yesterday a snake on the 16th green was approaching my playing partner's ball as we came up.  I tried to nudge it off with the flagstick and it coiled up, but didn't retreat.  My buddy took some informal relief--more than a club length--and we both putted out.  As we left the green, the snake was still hanging out.  Don't know how the group behind us dealt with Mr. Snake.
Sheesh!  This is getting all political.  Or something.  There's nothing wrong with hating (or loving) big box stores or chain stores.  Doesn't make you a leftie or a conservative.  And I'm not sure what kind of chops you get from being a small businessman or knowing somebody who didn't get the risks associated with becoming a captive supplier.  Even as  I type this, the Moscow Open is finishing up (well, given the time difference, it's pr'ly over).  Not sure Mother Russia...
If you admire good golf writing, I'd recommend any of the Herbert Warren Wind golf anthologies, which collect his articles from The New Yorker from the 1950's through the 1980's.  Following Through may be the most comprehensive of the lot.  It's out of print, but you can pick it up in good condition on the Amazon marketplace or the Alibris website for a couple of dollars.
really sweet.  savor the flavor.  new goals can come later.  Congrats!
like you, Mulligan Jeff.  A nine iron at the pin.  My ball mark was less than two putter heads from the hole and the ball checked nicely for a birdie putt (which I managed to make).  Swing easy, guys.
Bill--thanks for the correction.  
If the R&A was just a private club (like, say, Muirfield or Augusta National) I'd be inclined to say their membership policies were their own (and nobody else's) business.  If Augusta wants to take its time before making up its collective mind, fine, and if Muirfield wants to forfeit its slot in the Open Rota, there are many angling to fill it.  But given the role the R&A plays in the governance of the game, they are on very thin ice discriminating against women.  I...