or Connect

Posts by DwightC

Phil made a classy comment taking that position.  I can think of a few other guys on Tour who might take a page from his book (see the Bubba thread, etc.).
 I AM aware of that but maybe I'm not as IMPRESSED as YOU.  Let's make a deal--cut the all caps.  I feel like I'm being shouted at.   But I did go to Wikipedia and check out Vijay.  He did not win five times on Tour in 2004.  He won eight times, including the PGA Championship.  He also won four times in 2003 and four times in 2005, so over a three year period 2003-2005 he averaged a little better than five wins a season.  I assume Tiger was in many, if not most, of those...
FF--   I assume when Watson said 'the guy who shot 68' he was referring to himself?  It would be pretty funny if Tom Watson had a 'Dick Cheney' moment and actually did pick himself.   FYI, in the interests of 'two nations separated by a common tongue', Dick Cheney was the senior Republican politician who in the 2000 U.S. presidential election was appointed by the party's nominee (GWBush) to head up the selection effort for a vice presidential nominee.  He dutifully did...
If you read what the man said, he's right about the end of dominance.  Loss of physical strength to injury and aging, loss of mental toughness to--whatever.  I'm not so sure that he's right about self-immolation by swing destruction.  I'm inclined to give Tiger the benefit of the doubt on that--though I'm reading/hearing Chamblee's argument more and more and suppose I should be open to it.   Rather than denial, maybe some sympathy is in order?  Tiger is closer to being...
I think you're putting too fine a point on it when you distinguish between lightning and rain.  As I read the press release, the reason for rejiggering the Saturday schedule was to build room for weather delays into the day, which seems to me like a prudent decision, given that the R&A was trying to run a major tournament in the face of something called an 'Amber Warning' (terminology I'm not familiar with but I guess it's some form of intermediate weather advisory like we...
 I like that. Right after WW2 my Mom was a UGa sorority girl and she never had much use for the Bubba type.  Pr'ly why she married a Ramblin' wreck.  And Bubba doesn't quite have it together enough to be what Dad used to call a  'jellybean.'  Lotsa talent there, and the usual publicized good works, but, for my taste, a little too much of the spoiled kid who decided negative attention is better than no attention and that smart ass stupid beats, "I don't know, sir," for an...
Ernest Jones--   Are you a fan of Swing the Clubhead?  Or is it simply happenstance?   BTW,Jones was a great teacher.  On one leg.  Like that Irish remittance man, the architect, up there in the PNW--a solicitor in Vancouver, BC, Vernon Macan, something like that--good with women, bad with money, an Edwardian father's nightmare.  He and Jones both played to a four.  After the Great War.  One one leg.
It's a feel good story.  I'm not going to nitpick.  I just hope the guy gets the time off from his day job.  A British friend once said to me, 'our unions are so strong only because our labor practices are so bad.'  Of course this was back in the last century, when firms in the City were still firing guys over the PA system.
I've met a couple.  Never had a unpleasant encounter.  That's both in the context of tournaments and socially.  And that's both the big names and the lesser lights.  I'm sure there are jerks out there, and also decent guys having a bad day or feeling the pressure.  I do generally wait until I'm introduced or there's some reason to interact.
Injuries are a huge part of the Tiger narrative.  Of course, it's more sympathetic to say the swing changes were driven by a desire to avoid injury rather than a desire to be even more dominant.  But the cause and effect relationship between the training regime and the injuries, between the swing changes and the injuries, is not clear.  As I remember the sequence of events, the public information about the injuries came after, not before the first swing change ('though...