or Connect

Posts by tnull

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense now. You keep referring to me spending my time elsewhere...lol! Yes, I am not a scratch golfer, or close at this point. I have been taking lessons for a year now. My swing is pretty good now, or so my instructor says. I am not focused on this, just curious. A little background: I have a degree in Kinesiology. I coached high school track. I am extremely analytical. I am a self taught woodworker, make furniture as a hobby. Worked as a...
Looked at the link, did not see it before. I believe they are saying that milling did nit seem to increasefiction, but that a rougher surface would increase friction. So the issue is if the surface of any of the wedges has a rough enough surface to increaee friction or is it all groove driven.
Then what do you say creates spin? Physics would suggest that contact outside the axis of the ball, thus creating a force outside the center, as well as speed of the clubhead, creating the speed of the force outside the center and friction to apply the force to the ball all combine to create spin. Are you saying that a smooth face creates as much friction as a rough face? It does not make sense to me, but if you want to direct me to the studies I would love to read them....
Hi Shorty, If you check the scientific research, the surface between the grooves creates the most friction. So a rougher surface creates greater friction. The top edge of the grooves that contact the ball add to this friction. So a smooth surface with grooves will not have as much friction as a rougher surface with the same grooves. See Tom Wishon's article on wedge spin. That being said, I was asking for experience in spin between the different wedges and their...
I currently carry 52-10*, 56-16*, 60-12*. I play in So Cal, firm dry courses. I am a sweeper, not a digger. Probably too much bounce. Current clubs have no texture on the faces, only grooves. They play ok, but not much spin. Head shape most like the 588. I use them all for full shots, half shots, pitches and chips. Any advice is appreciated.