or Connect

Posts by onkey

Unfortunately your opinion can be formed from seeing someone on a bad day.  I followed Hale Irwin for a few holes at the Western Open in the mid 80s.  He wasn't playing well that day and he was quick to lash out at anybody and everybody.  After a few holes of hearing him verbally attacking his caddy and members of the gallery, I decided he wasn't worth me watching ever again.  I might have just seen him at a low point, but his actions stuck with me and I still don't like...
While my handicap isn't at a record low, I would still have to say that I am playing better.  I took a couple of lessons to eliminate my lifelong flipping problem and my ball striking has been phenomenally better.  I broke 80 for the first time in my life and I have been far more consistent with my scoring, but I just don't think I am getting enough time on the range/course to really put things together.  I had a hot streak that ended after continual rain turned the course...
I'm working on enjoying the game for what it is.  A few weeks ago I broke 80 for the first time and the relief of finally conquering that beast has given me the chance to sit back and re-evaluate what I want out of the game.  I could set a new goal of getting my handicap down into single digits, but I really don't want to continue pressing so hard.  I remember when my handicap was 18-20 and I really enjoyed just playing golf.  I didn't have any expectations and just...
As much as I am extremely tempted to order one right now, I can't help but think if I wait another year it will get better and cheaper.  Just like everything else I buy for golf, I'm probably going to play the patience game and pick it up after it is "cutting edge technology".   I do have to say that I really enjoying seeing you guys posting links to your rounds so we can all see what you get for your money.
Kitchen passes should never be wasted.  If I have the chance to play, I'm going to take it no matter how bad of a funk I'm in.   When things are going bad for me, I usually try to find a single thing about my game to focus on.  I'll go get a lesson which will both depress me and give me hope for the future.  Usually I will then have 1-3 things to work on and will no longer be overly concerned with my performance--instead I'll be concentrating on solidifying the changes.
If there is string (or equivalent) involved, then yes, I do always assume the winners cheat.  I think that once you create rules that provide a method to cheat, people start to feel free to cheat a little more.  And then it begins to snowball when people start to suspect other teams are cheating which makes them feel justified to cheat a little more.    I played in scramble today and was insulted by the results.  Instead of using string, you were allowed to use a 5-inch...
41+38=79.  Finally got past that hurdle!  I only hit two fairways.  Just think what could have been...
While I've posted a few times already, I figure it's time to identify myself (or just my golfing story):   I've played golf since I was 13.  I became a golfer at 38.   I grew up in northern Illinois and started playing golf at the age of 13.  I played quite often back then with my older brother (my #1 unspoken opponent) with a self-taught swing that would haunt me for decades.  We played quite often for the first couple of years before we moved to Georgia.  At the time...
This used to be my #1 nemesis.  I tried lots of things but this video is the one that helped me the most.      
I just learned today that my favorite course (Eagleglen) from my time in Anchorage, AK has closed this year.  That course did an amazing job of connecting you with the raw, unbridled power of nature.  Tragic.