or Connect

Posts by onkey

I have to agree about placing "natural" courses in my top favorites.  Take a long drive along the Scottish coast and you will see more gems than you could ever imagine.  Although I didn't get to play it, I took a walk around Royal Dornoch and it earned a special place in my heart.
Shot a couple of 79s over the past 5 rounds to drop to a season low 10.7.  With winter approaching, it doesn't look like I will be able to break into single digits this year so I guess I know what my goal will be for next year.
Unfortunately your opinion can be formed from seeing someone on a bad day.  I followed Hale Irwin for a few holes at the Western Open in the mid 80s.  He wasn't playing well that day and he was quick to lash out at anybody and everybody.  After a few holes of hearing him verbally attacking his caddy and members of the gallery, I decided he wasn't worth me watching ever again.  I might have just seen him at a low point, but his actions stuck with me and I still don't like...
While my handicap isn't at a record low, I would still have to say that I am playing better.  I took a couple of lessons to eliminate my lifelong flipping problem and my ball striking has been phenomenally better.  I broke 80 for the first time in my life and I have been far more consistent with my scoring, but I just don't think I am getting enough time on the range/course to really put things together.  I had a hot streak that ended after continual rain turned the course...
I'm working on enjoying the game for what it is.  A few weeks ago I broke 80 for the first time and the relief of finally conquering that beast has given me the chance to sit back and re-evaluate what I want out of the game.  I could set a new goal of getting my handicap down into single digits, but I really don't want to continue pressing so hard.  I remember when my handicap was 18-20 and I really enjoyed just playing golf.  I didn't have any expectations and just...
As much as I am extremely tempted to order one right now, I can't help but think if I wait another year it will get better and cheaper.  Just like everything else I buy for golf, I'm probably going to play the patience game and pick it up after it is "cutting edge technology".   I do have to say that I really enjoying seeing you guys posting links to your rounds so we can all see what you get for your money.
Kitchen passes should never be wasted.  If I have the chance to play, I'm going to take it no matter how bad of a funk I'm in.   When things are going bad for me, I usually try to find a single thing about my game to focus on.  I'll go get a lesson which will both depress me and give me hope for the future.  Usually I will then have 1-3 things to work on and will no longer be overly concerned with my performance--instead I'll be concentrating on solidifying the changes.
If there is string (or equivalent) involved, then yes, I do always assume the winners cheat.  I think that once you create rules that provide a method to cheat, people start to feel free to cheat a little more.  And then it begins to snowball when people start to suspect other teams are cheating which makes them feel justified to cheat a little more.    I played in scramble today and was insulted by the results.  Instead of using string, you were allowed to use a 5-inch...
41+38=79.  Finally got past that hurdle!  I only hit two fairways.  Just think what could have been...
While I've posted a few times already, I figure it's time to identify myself (or just my golfing story):   I've played golf since I was 13.  I became a golfer at 38.   I grew up in northern Illinois and started playing golf at the age of 13.  I played quite often back then with my older brother (my #1 unspoken opponent) with a self-taught swing that would haunt me for decades.  We played quite often for the first couple of years before we moved to Georgia.  At the time...