or Connect

Posts by Harp stein

A few weeks back, had a guy hit the ladies tee marker on a par 3, which sent the ball straight back past him (barely missed me as well) into a rock wall where the ball bounced back past us a 2nd time and ended about 20 yds out in the fairway. Then 3 holes later he shanked a driver about 45 degrees left, directly at a house where the home owner was standing right there watering his garden. I'm sitting in the cart, see the ball coming and before I can even yell fore it hits...
Does anyone have experience with using something like stableford scoring to set handicaps, as one possible way to "fix" the issue with handicapping in match play. Several have already mentioned it, the issue seems to be that in match play no matter how bad a hole you have, the worst outcome is you lose 1 point. My typical 9-hole league night, I shoot either +4 (ish) or +9 (ish) and the difference is one hole where I shank a drive (or 2 drives) into the woods or dump a ball...
Brutal 1st 9, but settled down for the second 9. I hope he can keep that calm going into his round today.
Stuck behind a ladies league during a weekday a couple weeks ago, back 9 took me just under 3 hours. Front nine I wrapped up in < 90 minutes, really frustrating to take twice that long to finish my round. That's my longest round for the year, a little over 4 hours total.
I'm not a big believer in the importance of the golf ball either, but this is the first year I've every actually bought specific brands of golf balls so what do I know.   I've been using Top Flight Gamer Tour and Callaway Diablo HX Tour and really liking them both (can't tell a difference on the course), they're 2 dozen for $35 at Dick's or Golf Galaxy which is a little pricey if you lose them often. This weekend I bought 2 dozen Noodles (1 soft and 1 distance) but...
43/44 for an 87 with 39 putts! Just couldn't get the speed figured out on the first 9, then couldn't hit GIRs on the second 9. Hitting my driver well so that's a positive, compared with Friday when I shot a 104 (on a tougher course) spraying it everywhere off the tee.   Getting better, seeing some progress just need to keep at it!
57/47 for a 104. Slicing the driver is my weakness right now and this course was tight off the tees. A chip-in for birdie, 2 pars (hit 1 GIR), and finished with 4 straight bogeys but the front was obviously really ugly. Just couldn't keep it straight off the tee, felt like every hole I was sitting 3 on my first short in the fairway. And I'm having an issue with my irons, dropping my shoulder or something and taking huge divots which is costing me yardage.
I 2nd the recommendation to read Lowest Score Wins. The course management part will help you from day 1, it was something my high school coach preached a lot (20 yrs ago!) so I was familiar with the ideas but reading the book really refreshed them in my mind and has helped me remember to take them into account when playing. And then throughout the season you can work on shot zones and practice plans.   Buy a used driver on EBay, unless you just have money to throw away....
39 (+4) on league night, 2 doubles and 2 birdies. 2 sand shots on one hole cost me a double, and then I 3-putted another hole after leaving a wedge from 110 short. 5 GIR (3-putt one of those too!!), finally might be finding a consistent fade with my driver (or at least not a banana slice, which has been killing me).   Frustrating sand shot, I was 25 yds short of the green and was waffling between opening the face and hitting it hard or trying to skim the ball off the top...
I think there are genetic traits that might act as natural talent, but I just don't see how those would come into play in golf. It's not a very physical sport, compared with other major sports. Its much easier to be great at basketball if your 7' tall for example. All the great baseball hitters seem to have incredible eyesight, as another example. Maybe there is a coordination gene or some combination of genes that produce someone pre-disposed to being better at golf?...