or Connect

Posts by Joe Cartpath

Since this is my home town event it's always one I look forward to every year. Too bad it has never had a decent enough date to attract more top name players. It seems that there are fewer "names" here this year than usual. Maybe more players decided to get to Chambers Bay earlier since that course is such an unknown to most of them.
...and he finished with an 81 (+10)...bogey, 2 doubles and a triple on the par 5s!!!
Unlimited practice is great!...IF you actually have the time to take advantage of it. Can you spare the time from work, family, etc., to practice 2 or 3 times a week? Is the course close to where you'll be living or working to make that easier to accomplish? The price sound terrific....IF you use the facilities enough.   What is the golfing season in Indy? Here, in Memphis, we can play 12 months...although less frequently from about December-February. That still leaves...
Short par 5, dogleg right. Pushed my drive into the trees on the right just past the turn, leaving me with about 185 yards to the pin....but forced to start the ball through about a 4 foot gap in the trees and fade it about 10 yards. I hit my persimmon 5 wood (yeah....I'm a short hitter)....hit it dead solid perfect. Made the 10 foot left-to-right breaker for my only eagle of the year. Since that was the 1st hole, it let me begin the round under par....at least for a...
Craigslist, Ebay, local pro shops or used club stores...   I'm pretty sure I don't have $500 invested in my clubs even if you include the bag, balls gloves....and extra clubs! :)   Hogan CS3 driver: $50 from Craigslist Hogan Edge+ (E-5 irons) & #4 and #3 Hogan Edge CFT hybrids: $75 from Ebay Hogan Apex driver & 3 wood (persimmon): $35 from Ebay (also came with 5 wood, but the head broke) Hogan Speed Slot 4 wood & 5 wood (persimmon): $15 each from Ebay Hogan 6 wood...
One course near me (Fair Oaks in Oakland TN) requires that you enter the fairway once, then exit near the green. It's been that way since the course opened years ago. At that time, it was because the fairways were well established but the rough wasn't. After all these years the fairways and rough are still in excellent condition...and it's certainly a LOT quicker than playing cart path only or 90 degrees.
I normally putt everything out, but we'll sometimes take a gimme in a casual round if it's really close - like inside a foot or so. If I'm playing with a stranger and he has a very short one like that I might say "that's good if you want it". They'll either respond "Thanks!" or "I'll putt it". From that point on, I know their preference....
It seems that this issue occurs most with twentysomethings with lots of disposable income. They decide to play golf, buy the "best" equipment...and, of course, want to play the most upscale course around - which usually is one of the more difficult courses in the area. If they're more interested in how many beers they have in the cart (and they always ride!) than in their score, it's a sure sign that it's going to be a long day...   When I started playing 40+ years ago I...
I've done about every combination possible over the years....no glove at all....glove all the time....glove only on full shots....   Now, my choice is usually weather dependent. In the hot, humid summer I'll wear it for full shots, take it off between shots, leave it off for pitching & putting. In the winter I'll usually leave it on from tee to green....and even for pitches & putts at times. When the weather is between those extremes I sometimes play without one at all,...
I'd say it's a pretty good bet that the shaft already had a slight crack that hadn't been apparent yet - but made itself known with your nephew's greater swing speed. It would have happened eventually anyway...