or Connect

Posts by bossfrog

Thanks @mvmac... very informative links.  The biggest thing I've noticed as far as mechanics is that by allowing the knee to straighten, it is much easier to keep my head stationary, and when that happens my contact is much better.  I'm also trying to learn to not "hit" the ball, but rather to trust the swing itself to cause the contact.
 THIS ^^^^^^^ I went out today to hit some real balls using the tips provided here and had good results.  Since I'm still getting used to some of these new mechanics caused by allowing the back leg to straighten somewhat, I'm not real consistent at it yet.  Here's the main thing: when I hit the ball solidly (probably only about 1/3 of the time right now) my divots start either right at the ball or in front of it as it should be!  I had not been able to make that happen...
@Morocco Mako, I really do appreciate the time you put in your post, but I just don't see how it helps.  I already know I don't swing like Ernie Els.  It's almost akin to saying "Ernie Els is better than you" even though I know that's not your intent.  The analogy that comes to mind would be telling someone who is just learning guitar to just do what Eric Clapton does.
Thanks for the input, mvmac.  I definitely need to work on my flexibility in my upper torso.  Hopefully that will get easier as I continue to lose weight.
All I can say is, WOW.  @billchao, you're a genius.  I couldn't wait till tomorrow, so I went out with one of my cheap whiffle balls and turned the porch light on.  I flaired my feet and allowed my back leg to straighten and everything is just instantly so much more fluid, and what's more, for the first time, I'm consistently placing my divots AFTER the ball!  Of course, it still doesn't exactly feel natural yet on the setup and backswing, but the downswing and...
Thanks Bill.  The first part of your suggestion I just kind of figured out today.  I started addressing the ball with the shaft basically inline with my left arm.  That really seems to be helping me get to the ball on the downswing better.  I think my grip is fine.  As you said, it's hard to see in the picture, but I grip with the "V" point at my right shoulder.  I had no idea about flaring my feet a bit, but that makes sense, especially with the back foot.  I'll try...
It's just not as easy getting 245 lbs moving as it is getting 165lbs moving.  There has to good tips to help us hefties out
I've been Playing Golf for:​ 2.5 months My current handicap index or average score is: I average about 52 on a par 35 9-hole course. Low score: 45. High score: we won't go there. My typical ball flight is: fade The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is:  A lot of them     Videos:         Hitting my birdie ball in my yard.  Not too many training videos out there for fat bow-legged guys, but I do my best!   I feel okay about my back...
Add an inch to your club length.  You'll make divots.
Thanks Joe.  That's kind of how I was thinking.  I'm going to exchange it this afternoon.  He said he has an older Ping G10, a Cleveland Hibore xls or a Callaway Diablo Edge he could give me.  I have to leave in a couple hours.  Any quick opinions on these two?  The Ping and the Cleveland are both 9.5* and the Diablo is 10*, IIRC.