or Connect

Posts by sgt1372

Like I said, I'm a newbie.  Not only to golf but to The Sand Trap.  So, forgive me for not being aware of The Dan Plan thread. 
There's the 10,000 hour rule which says that it takes 10,000 hours (roughly 5 years of 8 hr/day 5 day/week practice/training) to achieve mastery of any skill.    There's someone on the Net who has been trying to become a pro-level golfer using this guideline but he still hasn't achieved pro ranking yet after 4 years and around 5500 hours of playing golf.  His 10,000 hour deadline is currently set for December 2016.  Check out The Dan Plan at:...
Just a week ago, the PGA pro I'm taking lessons from gave me a tip on how to hit the driver from inside/out instead of outside/in just using a couple of baskets on the ground. In order to avoid hitting the baskets, I had to keep my arms closer to my body and rotate my hips more during my swing and, since then, I've been hitting the ball straight or left w/a slight draw more often than w/a slice/fade.  Still have a few mishits but they are starting to go away too.  Using...
From what I've seen so far on GC, there's not much to discuss about in that regard either.  As for the proposed relaxed rules, I guess it is kind of odd to suggest a set of rules to obey if you don't want to play by THE RULES.  As a newbie, who is just learning how to hit the ball straight, the official PGA rules are pretty irrelevant.  The relaxed rules make sense for the non-pro/tournament/league player (like me) who is just out to have FUN on the golf course.  Worrying...
Newbie here.  I've got an old Northwestern "Tom Weiskopf" 309 wide flange putter that I've had for years (not sure where I got it), which is currently selling for $15-20 on eBay.  Recently bought a used Odyssey Backstryke Marxman mallet putter for $50 that I thought would help me putt better, but I actually like the feel/accuracy of the Northwestern better.    Go figure.  LOL!
Like others here, I've never been a Sergio fan.  This opinion jelled for me what he was talking sh*t about Tiger.  Even now, I don't think Sergio is good enough to carry Tiger's jockstrap.    Love it when he fails, as he did just yesterday doing something he supposedly does well -- chipping.    That ball rolling into the water on the 17th hole/island green at the BMW Championship would be something that I (a rank beginner) would do.  This flub (that Johnny Miller...
Retired ex-cop.
I'm a newbie.  Started w/one golf glove while driving but, I was practicing so much, I switched to wear batting gloves on both hands for a better grip and to prevent blisters.  Wear the gloves regardless of the club, except when chipping/pitching or putting. Will probably lose the 2nd glove after I learn how to properly relax my grip/swing but in the meantime it seems to help me to wear both.
Just started playing a month ago and am focusing on trying to learn how to hit the ball w/the driver..  Enrolled in the 5 week Golf Ready beginners course 3 weeks ago, but have not received any "real" instruction yet on how to hit the ball w/the driver, except watching YouTube videos and DVDs.    Was mostly hitting classic slices when I started,  but just recently figured out that in order for me to hit the ball long (for me) and relatively straight, I need to:   1)...
Just started playing the game and rather than buy a newbie beginner set from Goldsmith or Dick's, I figured I could put together a better set of used clubs for about the same price.  So, here's what I came up with:   Callaway FT-9 Driver - $45 Bobby Jones/Jesse Ortiz 3/5 Woods & 3/4 Hybrids - $130 Nicklaus "The Bear" N1 Linear Dynamics Irons (1-PW) - $30 Titleist Vokey Wedges (52/56/60) - $100 Odyssey Backstryke Marxman Putter - $50 Titlelist Bag - $50   Total...