or Connect

Posts by sgt1372

Interesting.    Newbie here, who's still learning.  I have been lining up the club face square w/the target at address BUT, now that I've learned how to NOT slice the ball, almost all of my balls are now going left (instead of right) of target.  So, without otherwise changing my swing, it makes sense to just open the club up a bit to make the ball go straighter.    I'll have to experiment w/this tomorrow when I head to the range again.  Guess this goes to learning how...
 They used a split screen during the Alternate Shot program to air the"live" action while Feherty and others were on camera, but they often talked over or totally ignored what was happening live at the time.  Didn't find the talking heads on Alternate Shot interesting.  So, I just watched the actual event on NBC but had to switch back to Golf Channel, after the last match was completed to see the award ceremony and the infamous US press conference, when NBC's coverage (and...
FWIW, I don't think that the OP has framed the question correctly because I don't think that Phil specifically criticized Tom.   What happened was that Phil was asked a specific question by a member of the press about how or what might help the US Team win the Ryder Cup again in the future.  Phil previously mentioned (before the press conference) that he thought that the pod system that Asinger adopted back in 2008, which was the last time the team won, was a better...
Haven't read the entire thread since the morning's loss reported loss of the Ryder Cup (again) by the US  So, please forgive any redundancy, but here are my observations:   Mickelson was frustrated and was asked for an opinion about what he thought could have helped the US win in the future.  He expressed his opinion and he was entitled to do so.  The whole notion that golf is a "gentleman's sport" and that such things should only be discussed in "private" in this day...
 Wow, sounds like a great trip!  I live in the SF Bay area and haven't done any of those things yet.  Assume you're bringing a TON of $$$ or have a very high or no limit credit card.  Spend some time in Carmel and Monterrey sightseeing/eating and, if you have the time, take a day trip south to Big Sur and have lunch at Ventana.  Have fun!
  I agree with the responses that point to the lack of time, difficulty of the game and cost as the main reasons why fewer people are interested in learning how to play (or in continuing to play) golf.  Difficulty: I'm 64, retired and am more than reasonably athletic for my age.  I just picked up the game and have spent 4-5 hours/day 2-3x's a week over the past 6 weeks trying to learn how to hit the ball reasonably straight and with sufficient distance with ALL of my clubs...
Played another 9 hole course today and had FUN again!    It was more a "links" style course than the flat, open 9 hole I played yesterday.  More challenging in terms of "strategy" and club selection.  Enjoyed playing it in my own way -- alone, without scoring and re-hitting balls whenever I felt like it.  Pulled out my driver on the 197 yard (about as far as I can hit it) 9th hole and almost made it onto the green; was just off to the left which is the way you have to...
I just started playing golf 6 weeks ago and I've been using a "modified" baseball grip. I interlock the left index and right pinkie fingers but fully wrap both thumbs around the fingers of my hands to make a fisted baseball-like grip.    Tried using the classic grip w/the left thumb overlapped by the palm of the right hand and the right thumb lying over the right index finger, but it didn't work for me.  The 3 fingers of each hand are just not strong enough for me to...
  HAD FUN but that was because: 1) I didn't take it too seriously, 2) didn't keep score, 3) kept hitting a ball off the tee (2-3 and sometimes 4-5 times) until I got one I liked and 4) there was no one else around to see how poorly I played.  The sun was out, it wasn't too hot and course was quiet and lovely (with a flock of geese on a couple of holes) and that made playing on the course all that more enjoyable. My best hole was 170 yards long.  I hit a 3W (yes, I'm...
Going to hit the fairways for the 1st time tomorrow.    It's only an "executive" 9 hole par 3 course but I'm looking forward to finally getting off the range.