or Connect

Posts by Neb Tiffam

This is the same thing I call "The Three Rights" theory of putting. 1.  Right Line 2. Right Speed 3.  Ball goes Right in the hole.
David,   We rated a course back in early May and the course rating and slope went up by similar amounts to your situation.  The head professional at the course questioned whether we had done something different and asked us to re-look at all our assumptions.  Our state golf association keeps all worksheets from previous ratings, so we were able to go back and lay the set-up assumptions for 2006 and 2014 side by side and do a comparison.  As it turned out, this course had...
If you left tire tracks in the dew without ever intending to mark your line of play, and then realized after you drove back to where you were going to play your shot that the tire tracks were a good indicator; then, you could use the tracks as an indicator without penalty.   If however, you deliberately drove up and made the tire tracks in the dew for the purpose of indicating a line of play, it would be the same as dropping your hat in that spot and you would be...
Unfortunately the chart I put on my post did not quite fit the space.  The first number you see after each indicated action is the change in course rating.  The second number you see if the change in slope.
I've done course rating for the past 10 years in North Carolina and for the past 3 years have been the captain of our course rating team.  While there is some subjectivity in the rating work, a good bit of it is pretty much dictated by USGA standards that govern how we rate certain holes and the obstacles (trees, hazards, bunker depth, etc.) on these holes.  Our team rates 8-12 courses per year and at this point I have done probably 100 ratings.            It's not...