or Connect

Posts by cape cod beachfront golfer

As I approach my 70th round of golf this year I again have the Driver Itch. First some history, Last year I started the season with a trusty Tour Edge Exotics CB1 10.5 degree. About a third of the way thru the season the head stated coming loose. Either thru my use or their screw up when I had the club repaired they found the shaft tip had begun to split. Remedy was to trim 1" from tip and add 1" to the butt. Absolutely deadened the club. I put the Tour Edge on the shelf...
Old guys playing from the tips ruining the game... now that is funny. We play the course as it should be played. Par 4's reached in 2 then putt for your birdie... Par 5's reached in 3 (occasionally in 2) then make your putt for eagle or par all while walking and finishing in well under 4 hours. Seeing how poorly they played the Par 3's made it clear their game was Drive for Show. I still feel there is no defense for playing tees far too easy for you. Call me old fashion...
I played later in the day today and ended up playing in front of young yahoos. My course is not overly long (6650 yds)  but is a challenge do to blind shots, doglegs, and the putting. My group of 60 year old's walked and played from the blues as we always do. The young yahoos rode in carts and played from the white tees. It was clear from the first hole they should not have been playing from the white tees. While on the 1st green their tee shots nearly reached the green......
I learned my lesson about cheering for a putt a number of years ago. I was playing with an older gentleman (70's) who was clearly a serious golfer. I made the mistake twice of saying nice putt only to have it lip out on him. The first time he let it slip by. But after the second lip out he scolded me with an over the top Mafia accent.... "Don'ta you talka to my ball". The humor was there BUT I knew not to do it again. He continued with the accent " Don'ta do knowa good to...
We have a regular group of golfers at my course that 'buy' a cart for the back nine. Course shuttles the cart out to the tenth tee. They just fold up their push cart and strap it on the back next to their bag. Perfect combination of walking and riding.
One situation where I frequently use a riding cart is when I am playing a course for the first time. Being able to peek ahead is a help and does speed up play when you are on a strange course. It is easy to lose balls on an unfamiliar course where you do not know how far shots carry. With a cart it is easy to look that 10 yards further where you might not expect your ball to have carried. BTW Today my partner and I won a 2 man team match to advance into our club...
Thank you. Labeled pictures were the clincher.  Especially the pictures showing how the FACE changes. I really had the exact opposite pictured in my confused version. Mystery solved.
When I did carry my favorite bag was an old Nike bag. Dark green with big swoosh logo, very light, nice top layout, spring out legs, dual shoulder strap (I might have added?), plus the perfect pocket layout where no pockets rub against body.  Legs finally broke... but it still has a place of honor in my garage. It gets to house all those driver mistakes I have made over the years.
Anyone shopping for push cart should pay attention to the wheels. Inflated tires are huge pain. On some of the models the air valve is awkward to reach. Some new models have very wide low profile plastic wheels. They are hard plastic. If you play in the early morning the hard plastic wheels quickly fill up with grass clipping and are difficult to clean. Another thing to look for is the adjustability of the handle height. You want one that telescopes to fit your height....
Riding in a cart changes the pace of my game. I much prefer to walk. Made the switch to a Bag Boy push cart about 10 years ago. Only 2 problems I see with them. They absolutely do not pack well for travel. We travel back and forth to Cape Cod a lot during the summer. I eventually left my old pull cart there to save space in the car. Second problem with them... Push carts allow you to become a pack rat with your golf bag.  Extra balls galore are collected... Extra jackets,...