or Connect

Posts by Grip

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that I wanted to play a shaft with Tiger's specs. Obviously that wouldn't work. I just wondered if anyone wanted to share their thoughts on how this shaft performs. Incidentally, a while back the the TT EI-70 was very popular on tour and I personally found that it lived up to the hype. I played an EI-70 in a 975D for 2-3 years. So sometimes mere mortals can enjoy the same technological benefits as the stars.
There has been a lot buzz about this shaft because Tiger plays it. Has anyone tried this shaft and have some notes to share? Just curious. Thanks.
I'll just add to the comprehensive post above, that you should factor swing weight into the equation. Do you know how much the stock shaft weighs? OEMs match head weight to shaft and grip weight to create an average swing weight that most people like, e.g., D-2. If you like the swing weight of the club as it is, try to go with a shaft weight that is close to the original. I suspect that since this is a freebie you just want to play around and experiment on the cheap. So...
I apologize for the misinformation -- you're right. I had forgotten this, but I remember now. Way back when, when I read his book, I adapted his program and eliminated the 3/4 shot for my own game. I found it to be the least repeatable "clock position." Also, I found the distance of the 3/4 swing tended to be the same distance as the full swing of the next wedge in my bag. Thanks for straigtening this out.
I posted on another thread before visiting this one about Pelz's Short Game Bible. I took away the same thing from his book. I too feel that the human body is designed to swing in an arc. Artificially creating a suddenly straight path (as an exagerrated visualization: think of a capital "D" turned flat side down) brings into play too much brain/muscle work. I think knowing your "bottom" and trusting it is the key factor in cultivating a dependable putting stroke.
Ben Hogan's Five Lessons may seem old school and old news to some, but it remains the best building block on which to structure one's swing IMHO. I regularly pick it up to reinforce my practice points.
I know that many of you have probably read, or are familiar with, Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible. If not though, he advocates (among other things) knowing what your partial wedge distances are. I found it very helpful. I have even gone ahead and labeled each wedge with "full-half-third" distances on the shaft (he calls it "10:30-9:00-7:30"). It gives me great confidence when I pull a wedge out and know what to expect from that club/%swing. I might even say it almost makes...
Very interesting article. Thanks!
I find the V1 more suited for my game. The V1X left me feeling not as connected to the ball in my short game. I guess to be fair, I haven't played the V1X nearly as much as the V1 so it could be simply a matter of familiarity. My swing speed with the driver is 105.
Another way is to put the (non chromed) blade in a zip lock with a couple of damp, salty, paper towels for a few days. After a few bunker shots though, the rust sloughs off