or Connect

Posts by Vanstonica

Interestingly enough, I tried a variation of the same thing for a different reason. I've got a bum left knee, and I always had this fear that a cleat would catch while I was pivoting and I'd tear something up. I removed the cleats from my shoe, figuring that the pretty aggresive tread pattern that is built in to a footjoy would be enough to keep me from slipping. I ended up putting the cleats back in. I try to play early in the morning, and I was finding that...
I demoed both of these, and really wanted to like the CG better....but in the end, I thought the Vokey felt better in my hands. It seems to be a little heavier than the Cleveland. I usually tee off first thing in the morning, when the dew is still pretty heavy, and I've felt that it made a difference when trying to smack the ball out of wet grass.
Hey folks, I'm seriously considering purchasing a Ping Rapture 3 wood as a driver alternative. I hit the snot out of my hybrids, and have starte using them off of the tee a bit more than a driver, just due to the fact that I'm a lot more consistant with them. I hit the Rapture today and fell in love with it. I have an r7 steel right now, but I tend to cut under the ball with the shallow face....the Rapture is almost like a "mini driver" with a 292 cc head. Has...
They'r enot a total waste of money. I had a Nike-knockoff driver that I bought at Kmart when I first started playing. It worked fine for me, until the head snapped off about a year after I bought it. You may be better off buying a used Callaway Steelhead or Taylormade. You can probably pick one up for fairly cheap off of ebay or at Play it Again Sports (or whatever the the "used sports equipment" store equivalent is in PA)
I think technology is a bigger asset to drivers and fairway woods than to irons. If you look at the 15 year old Ping Zing 2 and a brand new Ping G 10 iron, there really isn't that much of a difference in construction or cosmetics (of course, that doesn't keep me from plopping down $800 every other year on new irons!). If I were in your shoes, I'd probably set aside some cash and buy a name brand drive now, and then replace the irons down the line.
I'm likewise a huge fan of hybrids....I've even ditched my 5 iron and carry a cheap RAM hybrid I picked up at Target for $10. As far as a set copletely made up of hybrids, such as the Callaway i-brid irons, I don't think it would work for me. I've never mastered the art of hitting a low stinger with a hybrid, so on the occasion where there are tree branches extending out over the fairway, or I'm having to punch out of the woods, I'd much rather have a standard 6 or 7...
I'm one of the folks that swear by them now. I did develop a callous on the inside of my fingers from using the grip though. It definately feels a little different. I'm not a big fan if Winn grips. When I've used them in the past, they've always seemed to wear out and get slick pretty quickly. Then again, I don't change my grips the "recommended" once a year.
Hi Sandwedge, It's, of course, really up to your preference. I like a 54 with less bounce, because that's pretty frequently what I use for greenside chipping as well. It doesn't show in my profile, but I just bought a few Vokeys (54 and 58 spin mill) to eventually replace what I have in the bag (Ping Tours). I like the feel of them so far, but they are heavier than what the pings are, so I'm not going to put them in play until I've had some time to practice. I've...
I'm glad to see someone posting a review of the AP1's. I haven't been able to demo them yet, but I'm really anxious to do so. I'd like to find a set of iron that will allow me to progress with my game, and yet still offer up enough forgiveness for the quite-often occasion where I end up chunking the ball around the course. My only fear after seeing the AP1's in person is that the head looks pretty large....even more so than the G5's I play now. Has that been an...
The best decision I ever made in regards to golf equipment is taking my 60 degree out and putting a 58 degree in its place. Maybe it's all mental, but it sure seems a heckuva lot easier to hit than the 60 was. I used to spend half of my round fuming after I'd inevitably skull my 60 over the green and into a sand trap. If you're faced with a severe uphill shot and need more of a "flop" club, you can always open the 58 up a bit.