or Connect

Posts by jrm1493

Ok - I do think most of you have a point that my comment about one guy wearing pants was out of line.  I was just generally frustrated and I shouldn't have commented on his clothes; I wouldn't have cared if he had been wearing cutoff jean shorts and a wife beater if he had just played fast.  He was better dressed than me, there's no question about that.  I think I just expected better ettiquite from someone who looked like he cared about the game. For better or worse,...
Went out to play today with my wife and a couple friends from work.  We were at the 1st tee along with 3 young guys who were well dressed and were playing from the tips so we let the go ahead and go before us, thinking we would hold them up.  They took a little longer that I thought they should and hit some poor shots but I didn't think we'd see them again considering we had myself (12 handicap), a couple of ~110 shooters and my wife who is a beginner.   The first...
Yep, I am one of them.  Current index is an 11.4 and my last 10 rounds are:   83, 87, 100, 89, 78, 103, 88, 89, 83, 98   Course and slope rating seem to have almost no bearing on my scores - its part mental (I get down on myself when I start playing bad) and part fatigue, because I recently realized that the 100, 103 and 98 were when I was carrying my bag and all the other scores I was using a pull cart.  Since the handicap formula throws out the worst 50% of...
Yep, I am one of them.  Current index is an 11.4 and my last 10 rounds are:   83, 87, 100, 89, 78, 103, 88, 89, 83, 98   Course and slope rating seem to have almost no bearing on my scores - its part mental (I get down on myself when I start playing bad) and part fatigue, because I recently realized that the 100, 103 and 98 were when I was carrying my bag and all the other scores I was using a pull cart.  Since the handicap formula throws out the worst 50% of your...
You know I think you may have hit on something with the injury because the 4 worst rounds of the 10 I posted (100,103, 89 & 98) were all when I was carrying my bag.  The 89 was on a 73/130 rated course so it wasn't too bad but still.  Normally I use a pull cart but forgot it or lent it to my wife for those 4 rounds.  The other rounds I'm pretty sure I was using the pull cart (If I am remembering correctly - one may have been riding but I almost never ride).   I guess...
Hey guys,   Its been a while since I've posted here, but recently my inconsistency has gotten really high - my good rounds are getting better and my bad round getting worse.  From about this time last year through the end of the summer I was pretty consistently in the low/mid 80's to low 90's.  My last 10 rounds are:   83, 87, 100, 89, 78, 103, 88, 89, 83, 98   These scores were all achieved on courses which are more or less "normal" difficulty from either...
I have a similar issue between my 3h and 4i, but I think its worth it to have an extra wedge in my bag. I can choke up on the hybrid and hit a slice with it which takes care of the problem for the most part, except that sometimes I end up hitting it straight and end up left of where I want to be. I can also try to hit a low draw with the 4i which goes a little farther than my natural push-fade, but that is a harder shot for me to pull off so I don't attempt it that often...
I shot a 99 the last time I played and lost about 8 balls. Started off with a 10 so things were bad from the beginning! The funny thing was I didn't even feel like I was hitting it all that bad just got every possible bad break that I could have (good drives 1 ft off fairway into US Open thick rough, terribly awkward fairway lies, putting over dead parts of greens, etc). I've played the same course and shot in the high 80's and felt like I played worse that I did with...
My wife and I got the same coupon after playing in a charity tournament. She needed a "real" sand wedge since the one in her set is pretty much garbage (literally about a 1 inch sole width - looks like a hybrid). So we figured for $30 we didn't have much to lose, and since they let you customize it she could get it shorter and with a ladies flex shaft instead of just buying a used men's wedge at Golfsmith. It took about 4 weeks to get the club (like the coupon said) and...
Yep, watch your gaps. I carry a 3 hybrid and 3 iron. They hybrid is 19° and the iron is 21° but the longer lighter shaft of the hybrid makes it play quite a bit longer. I like having both in the bag, I can hit low shots into the wind with the 3 iron and high approaches into par 5s and long par 4's with the hybrid (into the wind they go about the same distance due to the trajectories). The ball flights are so different that they end up not being redundant at all. I...