or Connect

Posts by sacm3bill

If you go by Par Plus, you'd enter a 4. (Par plus 0 HC strokes). That's Fourputt's stance, since he believes this is an unplayed hole. If you go by most likely score, you'd enter a 6. (Tee shot + penalty stroke for lost ball, then an extra stroke to account for the hypothetical 2nd tee shot, then the 3 more actual strokes you took.)  This is my stance and I believe Erik's as well, since we consider this an unfinished hole. Another possibility is to pick up and call it...
 Except it's not that simple.  ESC is there to limit how high a score you can post so that your handicap isn't artificially high, and that's fine.  But if you use Par Plus instead of taking into account strokes and penalties already incurred on a hole, your handicap is going to be artificially low. I would think the USGA's goal is for people to have an *accurate* handicap.
 You're of course correct that had a provisional been played he'd be lying 3 from wherever it ended up, not 2, which is why it's more accurate to add 2 when dropping for a lost ball when playing out the hole, which has been recommended in the threads on this subject.  What I have always advocated is playing out the hole with the dropped ball (and adding 2 penalty strokes to the tee shot). Yes, I know that's not legal but it at least takes the guesswork out of what you...
 So you're saying USGA answered all my questions, where I summarized my interaction with them? If so you're seeing a lot of things I'm not. Or are you saying USGA has provided answers to my questions somewhere else? If so, link please.
 I don't see how the example in the manual refutes the statement you're responding to.  Let's presume that the example in the book about estimating strokes necessarily implies that you can do so *only* when you are within "a stroke or two" of finishing the hole. (I don't agree with that, but let's say I do for the sake of discussion.)  That still has nothing to do with my stated position: That once you've picked up, any estimate of most likely score - no matter how far out...
 If anyone wanted to artificially inflate their handicap, there are plenty of ways to do it.  The only point in having handicap rules and guidelines is for people who aren't looking to game the system.  Any estimate or guess that takes into account strokes already played is going to be far more accurate than completely ignoring those strokes, which is what using Par Plus does.
 I've done it. I have a synopsis of my back-and-forth with them here: http://thesandtrap.com/t/68856/stroke-and-distance-vs-pace-of-play/36#post_882167 In summary, their stock answer was that they "recommend" using par+strokes, and not most likely score, even if you've already jacked a couple OB. However they did not explain *why* that is the recommended method, whether “recommended” means the same as “required”, or whether the procedure is the same if the 2nd or 3rd shots...
 Sure, not a stretch to say that at all.  Of course, but it certainly isn't anywhere close to balanced. Of the golfers who don't report their scores to GHIN, those that are worse than the GHIN average surely outnumber those that are better by a factor of hundreds, if not thousands.  Just saying the GHIN numbers are skewed towards the better end of the spectrum - if you look at the average scores of all golfers it's going to translate to a lot more than a 14 or 15 handicap.
 Note that the graphic only includes golfers who have a GHIN handicap. It doesn't include the millions of recreational golfers who don't, and that population as a whole is certainly shooting much higher scores than those golfers who are serious enough to have an official handicap. So while the average handicap for golfers who carry a GHIN handicap is indeed 14, the average handicap for *all* golfers is much higher. It's hard to determine exactly how much higher, since the...