or Connect

Posts by sacm3bill

No the difference between par and course rating is they are two completely different concepts. Not sure why you think we need to throw away par and just use course rating, since they're 2 different things.
 What he's saying is, consider a course that has 18 holes that are all 340-yard par 4s with wide fairways, no bunkers and no water hazards. That's a par 72, but a scratch golfer is not going to shoot a 72.  He's going to get a lot of birdies on those short par 4s. So the course rating is going to be a lot lower than 72. I.e., the course rating depends on the difficulty of the course, not the par.
 That +27 is for 2 rounds, so it's actually worse than that. He's a good golfer, based on what I saw on Big Break.  Sounds like the pressure of his first PGA event just got to him. From his twitter feed, on the first round: "Well friends, not too much I can say except I'm only human and I lost my mental focus after a tough first 2 holes. I'm embarrassed but ok... It was the worst round of my professional career. I just didn't want to let anyone down and that thinking got...
 Good find. And the other thing a lot of people get wrong (including probably Dan himself) is that Gladwell's contention is not "If you put 10,000 hours in, you will be an expert".  He's actually saying "All of the experts have 10,000 hours in." Or in logician's terms, 10,000 hours is a necessary but not sufficient condition to being an expert.  Many people are under the impression that if Dan does not reach expert level after 10,000 hours, he will have disproven the...
 Hey Brandon, Hmm, well I was thinking the author was talking about a single set of trees that were in play on both holes, which would therefore mean something between the 2 holes - but you could be right in your interpretation of 2 different sets of trees. Although the description "skinny cypress" tree doesn't match the one on the right of the 8th fairway you're talking about.  (It's Bill, not Sam btw - but no worries.) Great point by Rick above - marking trees GUR...
 Yep, and wanting them cut down even more so.  If you don't like trees, play a links course.
 http://www.sacbee.com/2014/05/27/6436797/making-the-rounds-memorial-amateur.html See pic below. I believe they're talking about the trees in the circled area. #8 is the right-to-left par 4 above the trees in question, #9 is the left-to-right par 3 below them. I've played this course and know these holes well, but all you need is the picture to know that if you're in the trees it means you've hit a bad shot.  Does a tournament director have the authority to mark a group of...
 The creator of the show (Milch) originally claimed it was historically accurate, but actual historians disputed that. Milch apparently later changed his tune, as this is what Wikipedia (and other online sources) has to say:  And I agree, the writing was brilliant.
 I'm not saying everyone is guaranteed to score better by laying up off the tee in every situation. Just saying that IMO there is some validity to at least considering the percentages.  It's different for everyone - for example, unlike you I have never hit 3W or 5W as good as I've hit my irons.
  Yes, obviously an 8i from 8i distance will get you closer to and/or on the green vs a 5i from 5i distance.  But the tee shot is part of this equation too.  And the point is that you're a bit more likely to get to 5i distance with a 5i (*and* have a shot at the green *and* not be OB or otherwise in trouble) than you are likely to similarly get to 8i distance with a driver.  I'm just saying you need to consider the tradeoffs.   Again, that's obvious. The point is that 2...