or Connect

Posts by sacm3bill

The creator of the show (Milch) originally claimed it was historically accurate, but actual historians disputed that. Milch apparently later changed his tune, as this is what Wikipedia (and other online sources) has to say:  And I agree, the writing was brilliant.
 I'm not saying everyone is guaranteed to score better by laying up off the tee in every situation. Just saying that IMO there is some validity to at least considering the percentages.  It's different for everyone - for example, unlike you I have never hit 3W or 5W as good as I've hit my irons.
  Yes, obviously an 8i from 8i distance will get you closer to and/or on the green vs a 5i from 5i distance.  But the tee shot is part of this equation too.  And the point is that you're a bit more likely to get to 5i distance with a 5i (*and* have a shot at the green *and* not be OB or otherwise in trouble) than you are likely to similarly get to 8i distance with a driver.  I'm just saying you need to consider the tradeoffs.   Again, that's obvious. The point is that 2...
    Both bolded statements may be true, but if the goal is to decrease score and not just increase GIR, then I can still see how 5i-5i might be better. The reason being, high handicappers like myself aren't generally hitting a lot of greens with 8i anyway.  Whether Driver-8i or 5i-5i, if we hit two decent shots we're generally going to be somewhere within 30 yards of the green. From there it's most likely we'll get down in 3 (whether just off the green or 30 yards away),...
    For me, when I use this technique, looking at the hole is to help judge how hard to hit it, not as an aiming point. For big breaking putts I don't worry about direction because I've already lined up a mark on my ball, and have lined up my feet and body to the ball at address, so I just need to trust I've done that properly and make the stroke.   True, on short putts, direction is more important than speed, but for me looking at the hole on short putts does help with...
 True - I guess they figure you wouldn't know someone else's GHIN number (unless you're a club chairman or something, in which case you'd have a right to see someone's actual round dates), and if you're looking up by GHIN then you're looking up your own.
 It has nothing to do with social graces, bizarre or otherwise. Courses group people together simply because they're throwing money away if they don't.  If the course is slow that day and an introvert asks to go out on their own, the course will probably let them.  Otherwise, it's silly to expect a busy course to give a single a block all to himself when there are paying customers they could put with the single. If the single doesn't like it he can comeback when it's not...
 Chevy Chase: And now with tonight's commentary; Miss Emily Litella.Emily Litella: Thank you, Cheddar. Now what's all this talk about violins on tv? I think we need more violins and less of that loud rock music. And furthermore...Chevy Chase: Uh, excuse me; Miss Litella. It's violence on TV, not violins.Emily Litella: Oh. Never mind.
This has been sated before in other ways, but I think the value of Dan's experiment boils down to whether we're saying 10,000 hours is sufficient, or necessary. I think the original theory is saying that 10,000 hours is necessary, in that top performers have put in that amount of time. But it's not necessarily sufficient, especially if you don't have the natural ability also required.