or Connect

Posts by sacm3bill

Thanks!
Something I find interesting about the rule we're discussing, which is 14-4:   "If a player’s club strikes the ball more than once in the course of a stroke, the player must count the stroke and add a penalty stroke, making two strokes in all."   When playing a bunker shot, the club usually strikes only the sand, not the ball. So based on the wording above, I wouldn't think hitting the ball with your club as it comes out of the sand would be a penalty. As I...
That would drive me crazy until I got to the bottom of it, but then I'm a numbers nerd.   (And it might be only 0.2 off now, but if there's an error who knows how big it could get at any given time.)
I'm going to start using it to describe my playing partners' bad shots. I'm going to be reeeaaal popular.
  Exactly. It's like he's saying, "Doesn't he know it would've been better to have MADE that putt instead of missing it?!"
  My wife and I love to parrot him when he says "What a misTAKE!"   He says that a lot...
  I agree with what you wrote there. Where I disagree with Fourputt is that I don't think you *also* have the option of scoring it as an unplayed hole. To sum up:   - I think the hole must be scored as unfinished. - bkuehn thinks the hole must be scored as unplayed. - Fourputt thinks you have the option of either.   Email to USGA sent, we'll see what they have to say.     I'd be interested in perusing that thread if you have a link - perhaps it will enlighten me.
  You said one of the options was to pick up and not finish the hole, and estimate what you would've most likely scored if you had finished:     bkuehn said if you quit in the middle of a hole, it's not an unfinished hole, it's an unplayed hole and you'd take par + handicap strokes:     Those statements cannot both be true.
  Indeed, in fact if the man had won you could say there was an asterisk next to his name if you felt the women's tees had not been moved *up* enough.   My main point though is that you can never know for sure that you've properly equalized men and women, so I'd prefer if they didn't try. (By using two-person male/female teams, for example.) 
    Yep, well aware of that.    I'm just trying to figure out what would be an example of an "unfinished hole" (other than a conceded stroke, since the rule above distinguishes the two), where you would estimate your most likely score, that *is* still played under the "principles of the rules of golf" and is therefore not covered under the "unplayed hole" rule?     But exercising the rule in match play is all about conceded strokes. The rule differentiates between...