or Connect

Posts by sacm3bill

The first option is for when you haven't played the hole at all - I wouldn't think you can exercise that option once you've started playing the hole.  After all, if you've already lost a ball and would be hitting 3 off the tee, then realistically you'd end up with a lot worse than par + handicap strokes.   Not that a stroke or two on any single hole matters much in the grand scheme of things, but technically it seems you should always use the option of estimating the...
  No kidding. I really regret defending this guy earlier. That's what I get for giving people the benefit of the doubt.
  That's true of course, but I think you know what I mean... If it had been all male contestants, you might think the best golfers were out early but the eventual winner could still proudly say they outlasted all the others in a series of fair fights. (Similar to many other single elimination tournaments like NCAA basketball - the best team might not make it all the way if they have one bad game, but the overall winner is still considered the winner.)  If a female...
Here's what's interesting to me: Any of the equalizing techniques that have been or could be proposed (looking at what club is being used for the second shot, using average drive distances, etc.) could just as well be applied to two golfers of the same sex but of different length or other abilities. This never happens in professional tournaments of course, because we don't care who the best golfer is once length or some other ability has been somehow equalized to make it...
As I see it there was bad behavior on both sides here.   Bottlesflying brought up the topic, "Is it fair to have a man vs woman match if they play from different tees?"  He may not have argued the point in a very eloquent fashion, but it is an interesting point. (How do you decide how much extra difference the man has to play, for example?)   He was then accused of having a distorted sense of reality and of being a misogynist, so he played along and made several...
  Check out the link. Both the rating and slope are determined by taking the closest rated tees' rating and slope, then adjusting based on the difference in yardage.
  According to http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Handicap-System-Manual/Rule-05/, section 5-2/g, you can post a score from unrated tees by just calculating the difference in yardage between the tees you played and the closest yardage for rated tees, then use the tables given to adjust the rating and slope.  It's been claimed before on this site that the same method can be used if you bounce around between tees. Is that not true?
  I think he's really Bagger Vance.   Just don't mess with his uncle.
  Everyone on both sides of this is making great points, but I really don't think there's a right answer.  We're talking about subjective opinions. Re the part I bolded above for example, I do get jitters when I'm having a good round that could potentially drop my handicap significantly. I always have, and in fact for that reason I wasn't any more nervous when I was playing in tournaments. I consider myself a VERY competitive person, and part of that is reflected in all...
  The round still might be one of the top 10 of the last 20, at some point over the course of your next 20 rounds. That means every stroke over those last 2 holes could still affect your handicap.   But I agree, it's more fun if there's a competition going. That's why I still like negotiating strokes and playing match play when playing with friends, even though I don't enjoy playing handicapped tournaments.