or Connect

Posts by Williamevanl

I interpret this whole thing as the beginning of the end. Dan realized what we have all been telling him this entire time. We said he would plateu and he has (obvioulsy). He got his handicap as low as he possibly could (for the time being) and it's basically not changed in about a year now. His tournament scores suggest that his handicap is closer to what his first handicap was (several years ago).   He has basically stopped posting scores, his facebook updates and...
We'll cut the crap here. Based on Dan's early scores success (years ago) I said that he would be lucky to be a 4 at 5000 hours and he wouldn't be better than a 2 and the end of this thing. I was the first to try to illustrate to people just how much time he is spending on this. I'm using my 'scientific' understanding of this entire thing to make predictions. You are late to the game but lets hear it, what are yours?   (I've also provided graphs, charts, quotes etc.....
Take it from a guy who practices every day as a full time job:   Recent Quote from Dan "Random Stat: At times it seems like the more I work on something the worse it gets, at least in the present."   The world is going to be an interesting place over the next 20 years, with the cost of sequencing going down and companies like 23 and me, it's only a matter of time before they do start to do comparative genomic analysis of professionals in sports against average people. We...
He's done a lot worse very recently, shooting 56 over par over a 3 day tournament. (high 90's one day) Lot of good comments in this thread and a lot of bad ones. Yes there's no reason to think that just practicing will continue to make you better at golf. (It does in the short term but quickly has diminishing returns and flat lines pretty quickly).   And it's absolutely crazy to think that there aren't genes that confer advantages for all sports. "Sure genes can affect...
  What ever happened to this guy? :)
  No, he just played in a 3 day tournament and shot **pulls out calculator** 15+26+15= +56. He was 56 over par after 3 days! (87, 98, 87). Holy @^$#! He said he hit 3 fairways over 3 days.
Like clockwork, I just always know somebody is going to say something like this. It's not that you have to have "these things" to be a professional golfer. You can be a 5' 1'' 350 lb anything and still have the genes that confer some advantage for golf. (or anything for that matter) Maybe think of it in terms of darts, there is something about the worlds best dart players that make them better than everyone else.   It's obviously the not the tallest, strongest, fastest...
  X2, I work in genomics for a Biotech company. It's a billion dollar industry which is basically just figuring out which genes correlate to a plant being better at something. If the plant has X genes it's better at surviving drought, if it has Y genes it's more disease resistant. It's absolutely crazy to think that there aren't genes that confer pretty measurable advantages for all sports.   I guess people that believe otherwise must not understand genetics or not...
  *bump, Dan's handicap just updated for the season. He's now at a 6.9. So, after a year of practicing everyday his handicap remains basically the same. (did get down to 5.7 at one point) I don't think he can keep this up for another year. (6066 hours left)   Last 10...
Well it only took 30 pages to get that out of you. :P   I agree, I've had him at a 2 at the end of this thing for a long time now and a 4 at 5000 hours so he's about exactly where I expect him. Can't believe someone above thinks he's going to make it on the web.com tour.   And he's not pro at anything: (If Dan had stuck to his guns on that he would still be putting from 1-3 feet!)