or Connect

Posts by Avid Golfer

Grndslmhttr3's tip about checking your shoulder alignment at setup is a good one. Your upper body alignment dictates the direction your body and club will swing back. If your upper body is aligned left making your swing start back outside the ball to target line you'll also be extremely likely to swing through from the same direction (coming down from the right of the ball to target line, and swinging to the left going through). I'd recommend strengthening your target...
A new Swing Check article has been added featuring Xavier Augustyniak (known here on the forum as the Rambler). http://thesandtrap.com/extras/swing_...swing_analysis
Here is a quick analysis comparing you to another Englishman Nick Faldo. [[SPOILER]] Starting off your address angles look a little weak. In particular your hips look to be set low and underneath you. Your shaft angle has the club pointing high up into your stomach. In comparison Faldo has his hips held high and pushed back, and the club shaft pointing at his belt. Getting your posture improved at setup will allow you to make better movement during the swing where you...
I prefer a constant ball position (like Hogan and Nicklaus), but I base it off my upper body (like Greg Norman and Nick Faldo) since stance width can create a optical illusion. I prefer to have the ball positioned in line with my front ear and shirt logo for irons and fairway woods, but for a driver (with the ball tee'd up high) I make the exception of playing it in line with my front shoulder. You'll find the same positioning employee'd by the tour pros when you examine...
To update people who haven't looked at the home page in awhile there are a few new Swing Check articles up. Troy Worden's Swing Check Eric Hanf's Swing Check If you're interested in having a free swing analysis done send your swings, and a little information about your game (as listed on the requirements page) to tom[at]thesandtrap.com
Your problem may be more tied to spin rate and angle attack then to launch angle directly. In general the desired launch conditions are a high launch angle combined with a low spin rate. If spin is causing the high ball flight then modifications to setup and swing that produce a shallower angle of approach should help. If your backspin rate is not too high then you may find that changes that promote the club swinging through level at impact may help. If your hitting with...
Shoulder alignment is more important then feet and hip alignment since the shoulders will set the path that the arms will move on. Correcting shoulder alignment may correct path. The ball may still curve away to the right (due to grip or arm rotational motion), but it will be more likely to start on line after correcting alignment (and/or path). What do you mean by you attempted to attempted to keep rigid? You shouldn't need to keep anything stiff in order to make a...
The direction your ball starts is related to the direction the clubhead is swing through impact. Since your ball is starting its flight out to the right that is the direction the clubhead is moving as it goes through impact. I agree that alignment could be related to the problem (dictating the direction of the swing), but I disagree with the grip conclusion. Mellojoe says they are going straight right, even with his 5 wood, if his swing path was toward the target, but...
Do you know for sure that your takeaway is different with your irons vs. your woods (have you seen them both on video), or do you think or feel you are making a different takeaway with each? Most people's swings are extremely similar between the irons and woods (unless they are setting up drastically different, and/or purposely making extreme movements with deliberate intent).
Did the fitter tell you he was a scratch golfer, or have you actually played with the person and seen him shoot scores of a scratch golfer? The reason I ask is I've never heard a scratch golfer (or anyone remotely close to scratch) associate hand action with heel hits (the notion is ludicrous IMO). If you're hitting shots toward the heel of the club I would suspect that your balance and/or posture are at fault. If your posture changes and your weight moves toward your...