or Connect

Posts by sabram

Why blame B of A? If the owner thinks it's a better business deal to sell the land rather than operate it as a golf course, it's not the buyer's fault. Lots of courses are closing across the country because too  many courses were built in ways that made them too expensive to maintrain and operate.  It's just not a profitable business to be in in many cases.
Doug - I'm not an Englishman, but I made a couple of trips there while my son was in school in London. You can't go wrong playing the Heathland courses in Surrey and Berkshire near London. There are enough world calss courses in that small area to keep you happy for more than a week. Some great 36 hole days are as follow:   Sunningdale Old and New Walton Heath Old and New St George's Hill (Red & Blue 9's)  and New Zealand Woking and Worplesdon Berkshire Red...
Thanks guys for the nice comments about the Bandon trip reoport.  I've been living in a hotel since last Saturday. Electricity just came back on this morning following our big storm.  It's the end of the golf season in the Northeast.  I've just put up a poster sized print of Old Mac #14 on my office wall... that  and the memories of the  Bandon trip will get me through the winter (at least until my Florida trip).
I think March is a great time to go to MB for golf, especially if you are from north of their and it's still too cold to play at home. The weather is better in April and May, but the courses are less crowded in March. In March you can have a morning frost delay once in a while, but the temps are uslyy in theb 40's at dawn and hit the mid 60's at noon. Perfect golf weather. Prime season (and highest green fees usually begins the day after we move the clocks ahead, so I...
The Legends Resort in MB is a great place to saty during a MB golf trip. There are three courses on site at the Legends Resort: Heathland, Moorland and Parkland. I would not put them in my top 5 MB courses, but definitely in the top 20 (out of 100 courses there). They are a great value as the green fees are lower than the other top MB courses. My favorite of the three is Moorland, followed closely by Heathland. Moorland is a PB Dye course and has a lot of interesting...
Best bang for the Buck is Vista Verde.   Here is a link to a list of the best Phoenix/Scoittsdale area courses and photos.   http://golfcourses.weebly.com/phoenix-az.html
I was at Bandon earlier this month. Here's a link to report and photo tour of the courses. (Scroll down on the linked page if you want to skip staright to the photos)     http://golfcourses.weebly.com/bandon-dunes-resort-bandon-oregon.html    
The 5th course is a par three (12 holes I believe). It looks complete vand the grass is in. You can see it from the first tee at Bandon Trails. It lies between there and the Bandon Dunes course. My caddie said it is set to open in the spring of 2012.   There are also plans for another full size course south of the original course. It is being designed by Gil Hanse and is in the process of obtaining permits.  
Gullane and North Berwick are a bit of a drive from St Andrews. If you are looking to play some great links at a lower price than Kingsbarns or Carnoustie, and close to St Andrews, I'd suggest the following: Crail-Balcomie course, Elie, Lundin or Leven. I'd suggest calling these courses as soon as you determine that you'll not be playing St Andrews rather than just turning up at the course.  
I'll be there staring a week from tomorrow. I'll post a report when I return