or Connect

Posts by allin

I am expressing my frustration that topics and threads have increasingly become venues for simplistic ego fests. Topics are reduced to incredibly simplistic there is only one right answer, as if every topic was a math problem. The gladiators have at it then declare themselves victors as they are obviously superior. Intelligent adults recognize the limits of facts, comparing eras is not a science experiment, things are rarely that black and white. Yes Eric I hold...
Comments by Ernie Els that equipment now allowed guys to win now that couldn't have 20 years ago because of the equipment.http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/els-says-technology-the-reason-guys-winning-today/
Turtleback, posts like yours are why I visit this forum less often than I once did. You present historical records, but your conclusion includes all kinds of assumptions, then you post a self congratulatory post. What a crock, you assume that the best players were pros then, many of the best players were amateurs then. You compare different generations and assume that everything is equivalent except the superiority of modern golfers, what you have done is give us a...
I have played Sawgrass and Pebble Beach, plus several courses where pro events were held or are planned. I was not playing them under tournament conditions. Don't be intimidated, they usually up the green speeds and grow the rough for tournaments. I don't know how big a part of the decision process it is but locker room and clubhouse size, parking, room for hospitality tents etc are considered when choosing courses for tournaments
I would add that there is a pattern I often see. Higher handicap golfers under estimating the impact of in to the wind and up hill shots, over estimating the impact of downwind or down hill shots. Of course a short hitter like myself has to allow for more run out with my 3h from 190 than a longer player who is hitting a 6 iron from 170 after their longer drive. I once played a 2 man match play scramble,with a partner who hit his driver 15 - 25 yards farther than I....
My point was that there are so many differences that comparing each to the players own generation is the valid way. For example Tigers win percentage compared to his contemporary players is probably better than Jacks. Bobby Jones did win both the US Open and British Open. In his era most of the best pros played both.This insistence in comparing players from past generations as if they were playing today is ridiculous. It shows a complete lack of perspective and really...
If you were a complete beginner no way. Still your odds of making the pro tour are similar to winning the lottery. Very talented golfers who have been working their backsides off since they were 15 often fail. Getting down to a 3 and making the golf team is possible if you are talented. If you can't do that your pro tour question is answered. See if you can get to 5 or 6 and find some type competition to see what your competitive level is yet this summer.
I have played many times in 98+ temps. Many years ago I walked 58 holes in 96 - 98 degree with my then 62 year old father on Okoboji View golf course. There was a spot you could cut across and return to the clubhouse after the 4th hole, almost no one else was out there. We did leave the course after 36 for lunch at Dairy Queen, about 1 hr break. I couldn't do that now and I am 56. Maybe they really were tougher back then. I do frequently practice in hot weather,...
While the number of non major events is a small part of the equation I question how much weight it should be given. Because the money and rules now alllow it Tiger selects courses he plays best on. Much of the money in Jacks era was made playing exhibitions, something Tiger does little of. Jack played 5 years before he had access to private flights Tiger has used them from the beginning. If you base it on percentage of majors won what was Bobby Jones 's percentage? ...
Of course values always play a role. I think the great ones don't need much pushing. It will be interesting to see how long the careers of golfers groomed this way are. Burnout and injuries could lead to a lot of successful but short careers. FWIW I think over involved parenting and coaching leaves golfers developed this way ill prepared for the hurdles life throws at you.