or Connect

Posts by allin

This is a point I had not thought of. But golf is accessible to a pretty wide range of body types. Smaller players with superior flexibility or speed, superior ball striking, short game touch are competitive. I actually think guys over 6' 6" or over 300 lbs because of the increased difficulty repeating full swings while keeping everything under control is more of a challenge. I think the availability of longer shafted clubs with shafts that can basically be made...
This is a point I had not thought of. But golf is accessible to a pretty wide range of body types. Smaller players with superior flexibility or speed, superior ball striking, short game touch are competitive. I actually think guys over 6' 6" or over 300 lbs because of the increased difficulty repeating full swings while keeping everything under control is more of a challenge. I think the availability of longer shafted clubs with shafts that can basically be made...
01IThis is the point I tried to make, I guess poorly. In the end if you took the players of past generations, have them develop under current conditions and they would be great. This whole premise, expressed dogmatically is intellectually arrogant. It is like saying Bill Gates is smarter than Einstein because with modern computers he can do calculations faster. Compare each to their generation given the conditions they performed under. You can make a valid argument...
Jack Nicklaus is the voice of a whole generation? I seem to recall you commuting on the poor quality of play on lower levels of the Nike tour and mini tours. The comparison is the top 50, not Monday qualifiers and club pros. Guys like Nicklaus internalize a certain kind of arrogance that refuses to recognize that their competitors are capable of beating them. It is part of the gift that allows them to perform their best under pressure. He also stated balls and clubs...
IYou totally missed my point. In 1954 milers were running on a cinder track. I ran on a cinder track in HS. One week after running a 2.03 half in warm calm weather on cinder I ran 1.58.6 on a then new composition track in cold windy weather. The tracks now are even faster. The fact that many more run sub 4 minute miles is easier today because the tracks, shoes, hyperbaric chambers etc make it easier. With all the advances the times should have decreased even more. ...
The real problem with these comparisons is that the comparison really should be based on would today's players without the equipment and training advances or would past players with modern equipment and training be competitive. With current nutrition and weight training the Dolphins, who didn't lose talent every year to free agency would be a great team. Look at mens track, for most distances, even with many more countries involved times have come down 1-2 % even with...
I don't put a lot of stock in these kind of comparisons because in golf the course is the real opponent and it's different every week. If tennis had a larger number of surfaces, court dimensions and net height varied weekly then domination would be a lot tougher. If the course played every week varied as little as tennis courts then the winner would come from a very small pool. Their are a number of tennis players who contend only on clay or only on grass, just as...
Good point, the participating golfers get to check off the I was an Olympian box. Besides you get to give the finger to all those who claim golfers aren't athletes:-P.
I voted majors. One week every 4 years doesn't mean much when there are somewhere between 50 and 150 golfers worldwide capable of winning any given week. Plus most of those golfers come from maybe 12 countries, meaning most won't be at the Olympics. Hopefully it helps grow the sport in additional countries,.
The case of those saying golf is not a sport really boils down to narrowing the physical requirements down to a couple golf requires less of. Different sports require different mixes. This is why there is no athlete great at every sport. Michael Jordan failed to excel at baseball. I was an excellent 400 /800 meter runner, because my athletic mix skewed that way. FWIW most basketball players are not very fast, also true of baseball. I had a 42 inch standing vertical...