IGNORED

Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Erik - I am interested to know what advantages Scorecard offers over the Golf Tracker Pro that runs on the Golf Channel's website.

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.aspx?page=35100

Other than this one being a yearly charge of $20 vs your 1 time charge, until a newer major release comes out, it seems like this web app has much more to offer, unless I am missing something? (I haven't actually used this site yet so I am unsure of it's capabilities and limitations.) I have used Scorecard and other than its lack of graph type analysis seems to be a good product.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
Erik - I am interested to know what advantages Scorecard offers over the Golf Tracker Pro that runs on the Golf Channel's website.

I don't know. I don't care to log in to TGC. So, I guess I can't really say since I'm not sure what TGC offers.

I will point out that: a) Scorecard can export your scorecards in HTML so you can easily host and link to them for others to see. b) Scorecard rounds can be entered very easily and quickly and generate a bunch of useful statistics without asking for very many stats (five, and one of them is your score). c) Scorecard can print scorecards for your home course. d) Scorecard can be used when you can't get to the Internet. Desktop applications are still easier to use in many ways than web apps.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The tool looks interesting... I guess my question would be is there enough added value to make it worth the 30 bucks when there are many free alternatives out there? I was able to review another similar one called fore score golf stats, it was pretty neat, but you can use one from golf digest and its free. I like how you can upload your scores to the forum, that's a pretty good feature especially if your an avid member. Just curious...

Dave

• Administrator
The tool looks interesting... I guess my question would be is there enough added value to make it worth the 30 bucks when there are many free alternatives out there? I was able to review another similar one called fore score golf stats, it was pretty neat, but you can use one from golf digest and its free. I like how you can upload your scores to the forum, that's a pretty good feature especially if your an avid member. Just curious...

We have enough satisfied customers that tell me "it's worth it." And again, the advantages of desktop software over web applications are more obvious (and more advantageous) to some over others. Ease of use, speed, and availability.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I purchased Scorecard because it is a stand alone app that I have control over. What happens if the free online places decide to close shop?

It just comes down to personal choice, go with what you are comfortable with.

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

Eric,

Great product all around. Have 3 rounds in so far, and can already see that this is going to be great tool in focusing me on my weaknesses (of which there are many!).

WITB:
G-10 10.5* Accra T-50 M3
G-10 17.5* 4W Accra T-50 M3
Burner Rescue 19*
Burner Rescue 22* G-10 5 - PW CG 10 GW 52* 588 DSG RTG SW 56* 588 DSG RTG LW 60*Byron Morgan - 007 Captain Morgan 33" Sound Slot, Sight Dot

• Administrator
Great product all around. Have 3 rounds in so far, and can already see that this is going to be great tool in focusing me on my weaknesses (of which there are many!).

The next version, coming out very soon (perhaps tomorrow) is going to help with that too, with the "best/worst" table. You'll see - check the bottom of the stats window when 1.3 is released.

Just wanted to give some positive remarks for the customer service folks at cynical peak. I gave Scorecard as a gift to my dad and they were very cooperative in providing me with a license in his name. They also emailed me the steps of downloading the correct version and burning it for him since I'm on a mac and he has a pc. All emails were answered in less than 24 hrs and fully answered my questions. I don't have Scorecard just yet but with customer service I don't see how the product won't succeed. So, in addition to all the benefits Scorecard offers over free online programs, $30 buys you real people who know how to answer your questions.

If I have a 1 putt less then 1 foot in length (lets says 2") do I use a zero for the length?

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

• Administrator
Scorecard 1.3 (final version) for Mac OS X and Windows is now available.

http://cynicalpeaklog.com/2008/05/29...d-13-released/

I just purchased the licensed version after giving the demo a good workout. I have been keeping track of my stats in Excel for the last five seasons so I have a pretty good idea what to look for. Still, the 1st putt distance stat forced me to take a hard look at gaguing that distance when putting and as we all know putting with good distance is the greater key to better scoring, not direction. Definitely helped greatly with my putting yesterday but we will see if that's sustainable.

For future versions I would like to see penalty strokes as a category on the Best/Worst. I realize low handicappers might not necessarily need this as a category but I feel most other golfers who play the game by the rules could benefit from seeing just how penalty strokes are impacting their game. When I was trying the demo with the last three rounds I had at first I thought the best and worst columns were reversed. All of my stats in worst were actually better than in best. When I figured out which rounds it was tabulating in best and worst I _was_ actually hitting better on my worst rounds. However I took a two stroke penalty in one round and five strokes in the other. My "worst" round I had zero.

I would also like to see a way to select a bunch of rounds at once and select or deselect them for the "Include Round in Stats". Maybe that's what the "Make Inactive" and "Make Active" does. However when I select only one round to make active or inactive nothing appears to happen. If I select more than one round I get an error message and an error log is generated. I can provide an error log for debugging purposes if needed. So what is Make Inactive and Make Active supposed to be doing?

Lastly I would like to be able to export the stats or a least a snapshot of them since I like to see where I stand from season to season and whether or not I have met my goals for that season. I could probably screenshot them but an export, even if text only would be cool.

Oh yeah, any possibility of getting the printed scorecard down to the size of a typical scorecard. That way I could print out the scorecard with the blank stat categories and just use that when playing the round. Any time I need to know local rules and such of course I would use the actual scorecard.

Excellent product all around and worth the money. Plus I got the 20% Sandtrap discount.

Worry about the shot, not the score or the statistics. However you need to know your statistics to find out where your shots are being gained, or more importantly lost to figure out where you really need to work to get better at the game. Stats don't lie.

• Administrator
For future versions I would like to see penalty strokes as a category on the Best/Worst. I realize low handicappers might not necessarily need this as a category but I feel most other golfers who play the game by the rules could benefit from seeing just how penalty strokes are impacting their game.

Perhaps - but if you're getting lots of penalty strokes, aren't you also doing things like missing greens and fairways more frequently than normal? Or do you have rounds when you hit the same % of fairways, but your misses are REALLY bad?

We'll consider that, though - we can always take it out later. The next release will have a new putting chart, too, that shows how frequently you convert from a few distance ranges.
I would also like to see a way to select a bunch of rounds at once and select or deselect them for the "Include Round in Stats".

Select them, then use the contextual menu (control click) to include or not include them. I think there's a keyboard shortcut for it too (ctrl-T perhaps?). Yes, that's what "Make Inactive" does.

I'll pass the bug report on to our Windows developer to see if he can duplicate the issue on his end.
Lastly I would like to be able to export the stats or a least a snapshot of them since I like to see where I stand from season to season and whether or not I have met my goals for that season. I could probably screenshot them but an export, even if text only would be cool.

Drag and drop the tables you'd like to export into Excel, a text editor, whatever.

Oh yeah, any possibility of getting the printed scorecard down to the size of a typical scorecard. That way I could print out the scorecard with the blank stat categories and just use that when playing the round. Any time I need to know local rules and such of course I would use the actual scorecard.

Truth be told, I've never used the printed scorecards. Check the manual for the way I score - I enter the stats pretty quickly afterwards.

We may be in touch about a few of the things we have to follow up on.

Excellent product all around and worth the money. Plus I got the 20% Sandtrap discount. Worry about the shot, not the score or the statistics. However you need to know your statistics to find out where your shots are being gained, or more importantly lost to figure out where you really need to work to get better at the game. Stats don't lie.

Ditto!

Just purchased this last night and entered two rounds that I had saved!

My chix stix:

R7 Burner
Burner Woods and Hybrids
R7 CGB Max IronsKoa Wood

• Administrator
Ditto!

Post your scorecards online somewhere and then look in your profile where you can put the URL. You'll get a "My Scorecards" button like I have (below).

I am sure that it is in the Help, or I am just looking over something simple, but I cannot seem to figure out why some of my rounds are in green and others are in black. Am I missing something? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I cannot figure it out.

I'm not sure if we added the round coloring info to the documentation or not. The green rounds are the ones used when calculating your handicap. Black rounds are active rounds that were not used in for your handicap and grey rounds are inactive rounds.

The new iphones have GPS! First developer to come out with a beautiful gui gps-caddy app WINS!

Go Erik!

Or elegantly blend it into Scorecard!!! Hint, hint.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

Note: This thread is 1997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!