IGNORED

Broken Window

JTMalley
Note: This thread is 5799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Who should legally pay for a broken window?

• The home owner should since they knew what they were doing!
    • The poor golfer who's only decent shot when through the window.
    • The golf course

I am playing in Florida. I had quite a power shot. It when high with my usual slice and got caught in a window gust. Went through a window... Made a hole that looked like someone threw a bowling ball through it.

Now comes the part we all like to debate... putting karma aside, who pays for it? No one was home and the golf course guy said looked like a snow bird who just didnt make it down this year... Should have had the shutters up or hurricane glass!!!

That was it. No request for payment or anything.

In Florida, if I busted a window of a home on a course, do I have to pay or will insurance/ course pay?

Driver: Callaway Hyper X 11°
3 Wood: Callaway FTi Square 15°
3 Iron-PW: Callaway X-22
SW: Callaway X-Wedge 56
Gap: Warrior 52Lob: Warrior 60Putters: Old "Made in China" Blade -?Ti7?Bag: Callaway Weekender Org 14 cart bag -Holds 12 beers-Ball: Callaway WarbirdBall Retriever: Golf...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the home is on the course, like our Plantations... then I would like to think the course/complex should pony-up the funds.

On the other hand, we have a course named The Links at Auduban, which across the street is lined with houses on one side. The houses aren't owned by the course owners, and I've seen errant balls head toward the houses (though I've never seen any damage). In this case, if the golfer had a conscience, they would work something out to split the costs. If the golfer didn't have one, then of course it would fall on the home-owner.

90% of the time I see houses around a course though, the houses and course are owned by the same agency, so I voted for the course should pay for it.

Clubs in my Army-issued duffel-bag...

DTR Irons : 2-9
DCI Wedges : PW 48* & SW 56*
Driver : Mid-Size TP System2 9.5* Metalwood (5) 23*

It's a completely reasonable consequence of owning a house on a golf course that balls are going to hit your house. It's the responsibility of the homeowner and their insurance. If one were to maliciously tee one up and aim at or over houses, that's different. Assuming one took reasonably appropriate measures for their skill level to avoid it, then it falls under accident. If I truly aimed away and just had an awful shot that hit a house, or the house was so close that only a marginally poor shot ended up hitting the house, I would not pony up for anything.

C/N: You built the house there, you took the risk.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

It's a completely reasonable consequence of owning a house on a golf course that balls are going to hit your house. It's the responsibility of the homeowner and their insurance. If one were to maliciously tee one up and aim at or over houses, that's different. Assuming one took reasonably appropriate measures for their skill level to avoid it, then it falls under accident. If I truly aimed away and just had an awful shot that hit a house, or the house was so close that only a marginally poor shot ended up hitting the house, I would not pony up for anything.

My question...Did you ask for the ball back?

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I wanted to get the ball back! It was a nice Titleist I had found on the hole before. Someone in my 4some wanted to go up to the house to see if there was any damage besided just the window!

Some people make some good cash on the lost balls. One person had a Bench on there yard with a sign that said 3 bucks for a bag of 3 balls or 9 for a Doz. They were mixed. Not a bad way to build up a broken window fund!!!

Besides the window, It was a a great distance shot and had it not been a push shot and went straight I would have had awesome roll and distance. They may have lost a window, but I got robbed of what could have been my longest distance shot of the round.

Gap: Warrior 52Lob: Warrior 60Putters: Old "Made in China" Blade -?Ti7?Bag: Callaway Weekender Org 14 cart bag -Holds 12 beers-Ball: Callaway WarbirdBall Retriever: Golf...

If the homeowner decided to live on a golf course within range of golf balls, he's taking the risk. I'm sure he's made the money back by selling all the balls that's landed in his yard over the years (or he's used them himself).
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Who is responsible? You are! Sure he lives on a golf course, on a golf hole, but he didn't swing the club that sent an errant shot off the course into his window, you did. That makes you responsible. Responsible people do the right thing by either leaving a note (like if you were in a parking lot with your car) or by inquiring with golf course personnel which you did. You behaved appropriately.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I actually know the answer to this one, its the golfer who is liable for any and all damage he causes during a round. I know this from working at a golf course. Yes, the home was built on a golf course that doesn't mean they are taking on the expectation that someone will smash their window with a ball anymore than someone whose car gets hit should expect that to happen because they drove by a golf course.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Since the question is who SHOULD be responsible, I answered the homeowner. I realize that's not the legally correct answer, but there are many cases of the law not being strong with common sense, and this is one of them.

Errant shots are a reasonable thing to expect on a golf course. Just like wild pitches, foul balls and broken bats at baseball games. The fan accepts this risk when he buys a ticket, and the same should be true of a homeowner who buys a house on a golf course.

At my home course we have insurance, and therefore the course pays for any damage caused during a round.

I thought I was going to need to use my insurance on Saturday. Tried a flop shot just off the front of the green, and there is a row of houses over the back of the green...totally balded the ball and it shot forward at speed, and very low. Fortunately it bounced off the front of the house, and didn't hit a window.

In my Freestyle standbag

Driver: FTiQ 10° Reg ZCOM Shaft
3 Wood: G10 5 wood TFC 129 Stiff Shaft
Irons: I5 3-PW DG R300 steel shaftsWedges: 54° Vokey SM & 58° Vokey SMPutter: Redwood AnserBall: Z-Star

Are you responsible for what happened? Yes, you hit the ball. Are you responsible for paying? No, that is on the homeowner either through their insurance or the golf course.

Been on both sides of the ball....or er...window.

Broke a window on a first hole tee shot...course was lined with houses,, crappy shot....left a note...homeowner called...I payed..thank goodness it was a cheap window.

I FELT THAT IT WAS SUCH A CRAPPY SHOT OFF THE HEEL...WAS WORRIED ABOUT THE HOUSES ANYWAY...NOT MUCH WARM UP....well stupid,,,,should have hit the 4 iron.... I'm paying...I deserve to.

Now the roles are reversed...live on a Par 3 semi private...takes a absolute TERRIBLE shot (from the BLUE tees) , virtually impossible to hit it from the whites unless it is a wicked power shank that goes at a 90 degreee angle and travels 70 feet high and about 70 yards directly to the right....to hit my half moon 10' diameter window...that is $800 to replace. When replacing noticed it has been replaced before....now have aluminum sheet protecting it.

Neighbor 2 doors down needs one also as of 2 days ago.

HERE is MY Problem....it has to be a shot of the blue tees, stop hitting from the blue tees if you shank a ball on a 170 yard par 3!!! (PS...I find plenty of expensive balls in the yard and next to the screen)

Better yet don't play on courses lined with houses....I personally play golf to get away...not listen to people arguing or smell their burnt food.

My point...if you are good enough to play from the blue or champ tees...you obviously have played the game and have a decent wallet...screw up...pay up........or upset the golfing gods.

If you are a wannabe hack playing from the blues and spraying tee shots...stop!

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Most public courses that have houses lining the fairways have signs that say the golfer is liable for damage. At least here in socal.

In my Sticks stand bag:
Driver: 4DX Draw 9.5
3W: Pinseeker Ti
3H: 4DX IW
4H: 4DX IWIrons: X-20 steelWedges: CG14 52, MP-T 56Putter: Marxman malletGPS: SkyCaddie SG5

I wonder what the law says about it. Anyone know in Florida?

The golf course said that most people who lived on the course were told to get hurricane glass since they live in Florida and on a golf course.

I understand as the golfer who hit the ball I am the person placing the action on hitting the ball and sending it with such awesome distance and power to take out that window!

i understand that most muni clubs have signs although i did not see any sign! this was at a public golf club named PalmAire! does the law change vs a golf community vs just housing on a public course vs a private club???

I do agree with the idea that wild shots are a part of the game! i have been to several tournys and seen the pros hit shots that land in the cart path and almost hit people! i believe even tiger has done it although rare!

I believe the best analogy is a fan at a baseball game. You put a house next to a golf course = buying fieldside tickets. Even the best players rocket-slice a ball now and then, just like top baseball players will foul one off. If you are in the line of fire such that just a moderately adrift shot will hit your house, sorry, I think you should take the hit.

My dad lives "on" a course. However, his house lies about 100 yds behind the 8th green, and probably 150 yards to the right of the 9th green. You'd have to hit the skuller of all time or the largest banana slice in history to hit his house. If someone damaged his house, I'd expect them to take responsibility. However, another course I know has a long, downhill, dogleg right par 4. Just off the corner, maybe 40 yards, is a bunch of townhomes. It would be nothing to push a shot and - this place is very elevated, very windy at times - have it get caught by the wind and bonk a house.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

are some of you kidding? Bad golfer launches a ball through a house and you think the homeowner should pay because he lives there!?!?!? What if his kid is playing there and you launch a banana slice into their yard and hurt their child? Tough luck kid...it's your dad's fault for living here. I can't believe what I've seen here...unless it is stated otherwise, if you hit a shot that damages something, it is your responsibility to inform the owner or at a minimum the course, and pay for damages.

Hell, I'm just going to start running into cars and say it's the others guys fault for being there. Same argument...they are taking the risk of having damage to their car by being on the road or leaving it in a parking lot.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

Note: This thread is 5799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!