IGNORED

Shaft flex vs Shaft weight

Note: This thread is 5890 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,
Just a quick question, something i have been wondering. Where do shaft weight and shaft flex cross over??

I'll use the UST Proforce V2 series as an example to explain what i'm trying to ask.

Example- Would a 66g V2 in stiff (67g) flex play the same as a 76g V2 in regular flex only at a lighter weight? I know theres no set rules as to how a shaft plays when comparing different flexes and weights, just curious.
If this topic has been covered before i apologise, if it has could someone post a link for me.

Thanks heaps.

I'd like to first point out that the following information may be inaccurate, it's based mainly on my perceptions as a golf equipment consumer. Hopefully later someone with more technical information can correct any mistakes in my information.

As far as I know stiffness and weight never "cross over." Acceleration and speed in the swing causes the shaft to flex at the flex point. I suppose you can swing and accelerate a lighter shaft more easily thus making it easier to flex, but as far as I know this doesn't cross over.

In general, a smoother swing that accelerates at a steady rate can use a more flexible shaft and produce relatively consistent results. More flexible shafts are less consistent in general -- but can also produce more distance.

I guess at some level the flexibility responds to your swing whereas the weight can actually influence how you swing. If you grab a club and swing it back and forth just in your hands very quickly you can notice the flexibility, whether in a light graphite shaft or a heavier steel shaft (assuming they're the same length). The weight probably won't affect this quick movement.

I have a very fast swing with a medium tempo so I prefer stiff, heavier shafts. When I use normal flexibility shafts -- whether in a steel iron or a graphite driver -- I get inconsistency in distance and control. I prefer heavier shafts because I don't feel I need the extra speed and I feel it helps my tempo and consistency.

I apologize -- this was a hodgepodge of random intuition -- but I hope it will help you in some way.

NGCX is basically right. The weight of the head can make a difference also. Especially in Graphite, but to some degree metal shafts also. Specific areas of the shaft can be reinforced to change flex, step pattern or wall thickness, wraps, I am sure I don't know all the ways it can be done. The best example of this was when both were winning majors Nick Price used stiffer shafts than John Daly. Because his transitions were quicker and more aggressive Nick needed stiffer shafts than John who loaded the club more smoothly and gradually, but was 30 yards longer than Price.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Note: This thread is 5890 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!