IGNORED

Of last years big name drivers that are now deeply discounted...

Note: This thread is 5764 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Of last years big name drivers that are now deeply discounted...

• Adams Redline
    • Callaway Big Bertha 460
    • Callaway X460/Tour
    • Cleveland HiBore XL
    • Cobra Speed Series
    • Cobra HS9
    • Nike Sumo/Sumo Squared
    • Taylor Made R7
    • Other (please specify)

Depends on your skill set and preference after trying these drivers. Personally - R7 or BB460. Wait 1 year for the Cleveland xls or Callaway FT-5?

Cheers

In my Sun Mountain 3.5 light stand bag:

Driver: Burner (10.5 degree)
Hybrids: 3DX DC (17 degree)
Irons: Taylormade R7 (4-AW)SW: Vokey Spin Milled (56 degree)Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (coming soon)Balls: Pro V1 and NXT Tour

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theyre all good when you hit them square!

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Its hard to call the R7 Superquad 460cc club "deeply discounted" when you will still need to pay about $300 for one without the weight kit (another $100 for the full kit), and the flat faced "tour model" Superquad will go for $100+ more. Maybe $500 is a bargain; the local shops in my area still want $599 plus tax (and sales tax is 10.25% in my area) for the regular 460cc Superquad with the mini-weight kit included.

The regular (non-adjustable) R7 460cc can be found on EBay for about $200 and the R7 Draw 460cc (where most Superquads end up deing set) at about $200 is a true bargain - its a great club (I have one).

Now the older, smaller, 425cc Superquad can be found at a much lower price than above, but 425cc sized is no longer "hot".

2007 Yamaha Cart
TaylorMade R7 460 Superquad Driver, 10.5, Reg flex (RF)
Taylormade R7 Titanium 3,5 & 7 Fairway woods RF
PING Rapture irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, graphite RF
Odyssey White Hot Two Ball putter Ping Cart Bag, Pioneer in Atomic OrangeNow playing Titleist Pro V1x balls

Its hard to call the R7 Superquad 460cc club "deeply discounted" when you will still need to pay about $300 for one without the weight kit (another $100 for the full kit), and the flat faced "tour model" Superquad will go for $100+ more. Maybe $500 is a bargain; the local shops in my area still want $599 plus tax (and sales tax is 10.25% in my area) for the regular 460cc Superquad with the mini-weight kit included.

I noticed the new TaylorMade Tour Burners came out, does this mean the 'old' burner's price is gonna drop any time soon?

G10 driver 9° TFC / stiff
V-Steel 3 wood 15° /stiff
Carbon CB 3 - PW / stiff
Vokey Spin Milled 56°
Karsten B60 Hoofer Stand Bag 2008

i bought the sumo 2 in september for $299 (which i thought was a deal at the time). Although I went to golfsmith last night and hit the 2008 version. It didnt seem to have the same sound (of course i was hitting indoors so maybe that changes it). Once my next bonus comes in i may be tempted to plunk down the $400 for it.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i bought the sumo 2 in september for $299 (which i thought was a deal at the time). Although I went to golfsmith last night and hit the 2008 version. It didnt seem to have the same sound (of course i was hitting indoors so maybe that changes it). Once my next bonus comes in i may be tempted to plunk down the $400 for it.

one of the biggest changes for the Sumo2 in 2008 is the way the club sounds . From the review's i've seen, Nike has taken drastic steps to quiet the club down from the 2007 model due to a lot of negative feedback from its customer base about the sound the old club was giving off.

In the Grom bag:

Driver: G5 9* Aldila NV65
Irons: I-3 O-size
SW: cg14 56*Putter: Marilyn

A friend of mine had a FT-3 Fusion, he bought it for $499(Can), it took it to the local golf shop here they said they would give him $75 for it, that's insane!!

Ft-i 10dg
200 steel 3 wood 15dg, 22dg rescue dual
edge cft 19dg hybrid
G2 (4-pw)
spin milled 52,58dg (oil can)white hot tour #2hawk

I just bought the Hibore XL i love it... But its really loud... has anybody else noticed this?

There's quite a difference between the XL and the XLS, and you seem to have the XLS in your signature.

G10 driver 9° TFC / stiff
V-Steel 3 wood 15° /stiff
Carbon CB 3 - PW / stiff
Vokey Spin Milled 56°
Karsten B60 Hoofer Stand Bag 2008

I really liked the Titleist 905R.
Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

No one mentioned the Superquad. That is still quite expensive, even compared to the 2008 models. In my OP, I said that I was referring to all the ads you see for drivers under $200 (R7 460, not Superquad). Please read before you post next time.

In My Bag:

Driver: R7 460
5w: Bah!
3w: F Speed LDHybrid: CPR3 3iIrons: Acer XK High Trajectory 4-PWWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52* 54* 60*Putter: Daytona CGBBall: One Platinum Tour ix

i love my X460 tour, great driver, but now im eyeing that FT-5.....
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

• 3 weeks later...
Had not really taken the BB 460 seriously before, but saw one at the weekend in a store and liked the look of it. Its also relatively cheap at the moment (the reason its mentioned in here I guess!)

Might look at them at a pro shop when back in the UK next month to see about getting a demo for a matching driver & 3 wood to try reg & stiff flex - still not convinced I am stiff flex... Saw the driver has 1deg closed face which I'd prefer.

Quick Q though - is the optifit system applicable to the BB460? Or is it the stock NVS shaft on driver and stock Callaway on fairway woods only?

Superquad
Fusion #3
Big Bertha Warbird #5
755 3-PW
Vokey SM56.10 & 60.08 White Hot 2-ball

I picked up the Sumo (non-square) mainly for the VS-Proto shaft and I've been impressed. I'm maybe 5 yards shorter off the tee than with my X460 Tour that this driver replaced, but infinitely more accurate.

For the record, I liked the X460 Tour - that thing is an absolute cannon. But, I did not like the stock Fujikura TP shaft. I found the tip too soft and I sprayed my drives left and right.

I picked up the Sumo with the thought that I would just pull the shaft and use it in the Callaway if I didn't like the head. Once I used it a few rounds, I decided to sell the Callaway and just keep the Sumo. Five yards lost with better forgiveness is better than the hassle of reshafting a Callaway driver imo.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

I play the Callaway 460 and it is the easiest driver I have ever hit and I bought it on a day when our club had a one hour, 1 item 40% off deal so I got it for 120 bucks. Not bad

What I play:
Driver: FTi Tour LCG Matrix Xcon 6
3 Wood: Sonartac SS03 *14
Hybrid: FT Hybrid *18
Hybrid: Rescue Mid 22*Irons: 5-PW i10, Project X 5.5Wedges 52, 56, 60Putter:i Black #9Ball: Tour ix

Note: This thread is 5764 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!