IGNORED

How Much to Tip Your Caddie???

Saturday Golfer
Note: This thread is 1835 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've only had 1 experience with a caddy, and it was the strangest experience ever.   I was in Malaysia and both carts and a caddy were mandatory on weekends!!   LOL

I played 4 rounds.....two as a single during the week, and 2 as part of a 3some on the weekend.

We had a weekend 3some riding 2 carts on the weekend, and 1 caddy.   The caddy would jump on the back of a cart and ride along. He had no purpose except for entertainment.  He'd pick fruit from the trees and try to give us a local education/taste testing on vegetation along the way.  I don't even remember him giving us yardages.....my only memory of him was him picking fruit!!   I honestly don't remember how much we tipped, but it was probably equal to 1 weeks wages for the average Malaysian laborer.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I caddied for a few years at a pretty decent country club where caddies were technically not employees of the club (no caddie fees) so all the money was a tip in that it went directly to the golfer.  $40 a bag for a new/young caddie and $60-70 a bag for a more experienced caddie were the going rates, with more for great service (or less for bad).  I felt that was very fair, and that the more experienced caddies who didn't do a great job were a bit overpaid if anything.  So I would say whatever tip gets the caddie to the above, depending on what they get from the club.

When in doubt, ask the caddie master or a member what the going rate is.  If you ask the caddie, most will also be pretty honest with you I feel.

• 1 month later...
I caddied at the least paying course in indiana. I received the Evans scholarship which any caddie should research and apply for. I usually received a tip of $40, but my brothers and sisters in my Evans house received tips of up to $100 a round. One works at crooked stick so kind of not fair. But a caddie is a necessary part of keeping the traditional game of golf going and shafting your caddie is a discouragement to him or her and an offense to the historical aspects of the game. Also, caddying, because all is essentially cash tips and is not a taxable income, is a job that anyone able can hold, regardless of age. I started at 13, and it was the best experience of my life. I loved every moment I spent on the course, besides the time I got shafted and the BMW media day this year. Altogether though, it gave me the opportunity of a lifetime and I could never thank the WGA and all who support the Evans scholarship and the people who helped me through my years on the course. Tip your caddies and you are going to make some lifelong connections that you will b happy to have created. And remember, even the bwm championship, originally the western open, was created to raise funds to support caddies. So do your part :) -Cory jones Purdue Evans scholar

At a private club tipping the caddie is usually discouraged, as they don't want the caddies to pick their favorite members based on how they tip.  If it's not your club I'd suggest that you ask the member what their club policy is.

On public or muni courses I'd say $35(non bag carrying) -$70 (bag carrying) minimum tip per golfer in addition to whatever the course caddie fee is.  Of course that assumes they do a good job.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Am I happy to live in Thailand!

on most courses here, using a caddy is mandatory unless you're a club-member.

tipping is also mandatory and depending on the quality of the course (low/high green fee) the minimum amount will mostly vary

from 150 bath (5$) to about 600 Bath (20$) for 18 holes.

I play on a small 9-hole course at Chiang mai, +2900yds., very nice for beginners (some water hazards and plenty of bunkers, lots of trees),

but not a very high level (course rating 67.7)

green fee = 7$ for 9 holes (200 Bath) + 3$ caddy fee,

18 holes is about 500 Bath (17$), green fee+caddy fee.

for a decent 18 hole course, green fees vary from about 1000 Bath (33$) to 6000 Bath (200$), but it doesn't get much higher than that

Originally Posted by newtogolf

At a private club tipping the caddie is usually discouraged, as they don't want the caddies to pick their favorite members based on how they tip.  If it's not your club I'd suggest that you ask the member what their club policy is.

On public or muni courses I'd say $35(non bag carrying) -$70 (bag carrying) minimum tip per golfer in addition to whatever the course caddie fee is.  Of course that assumes they do a good job.

I don't know where you heard that. I play 90% of my golf at private clubs (including my own) and tipping caddies is always welcome. Ask the member what the going rate is. Most clubs have rated caddies so you know the starting point before the tip comes into play.

Bill M

It's the rule in the club I belong to and also at another private club I'm invited to frequently.

Originally Posted by phan52

I don't know where you heard that. I play 90% of my golf at private clubs (including my own) and tipping caddies is always welcome. Ask the member what the going rate is. Most clubs have rated caddies so you know the starting point before the tip comes into play.

Joe Paradiso

This whole concept is foreign to me.  I have never played a course that even offered caddies, and as far as I know there are only two near me that do.  Pelican Hill, which is $300 or so a round, so I doubt that will happen anytime soon, and Tustin Ranch, which is $150 or so.  Neither of those prices yet includes the caddie fee, and it certainly doesn't yet include the caddie tip.

Someday I will splurge and go to Pebble and when I do, I'll go all out and get a caddie, but until then, I have no clue.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

This whole concept is foreign to me.  I have never played a course that even offered caddies, and as far as I know there are only two near me that do.  Pelican Hill, which is $300 or so a round, so I doubt that will happen anytime soon, and Tustin Ranch, which is $150 or so.  Neither of those prices yet includes the caddie fee, and it certainly doesn't yet include the caddie tip.

Someday I will splurge and go to Pebble and when I do, I'll go all out and get a caddie, but until then, I have no clue.

tustin ranch is free on your birthday.  the last 2 years my plan was to play for free, but hire a caddie.  unfortunately my birthday is in june, and both times i've tried to play on that day there was a tourney going on.  oh well...

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Originally Posted by ejimsmith

tustin ranch is free on your birthday.  the last 2 years my plan was to play for free, but hire a caddie.  unfortunately my birthday is in june, and both times i've tried to play on that day there was a tourney going on.  oh well...

No kidding??  My birthday is coming up in just a few weeks.  Do you know if you have to do anything special to get the free round other than show up with ID?  Fill out any kind of form or notify them ahead of time?

My birthday falls on a Monday this year ... I may be coming down with something that day.

EDIT:  Nevermind ... its right on their website. http://www.tustinranchgolf.com/sites/courses/layout.asp?id=525&page;=50530

Looks like I just have to hope there is no tournament that day.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by thescarecrow

All caddies should be banned. Carry your own clubs. Tradition?, rubbish,do we still have Jam Boys.

That is absurd. If you have a problem with it, just go to courses where they don't have caddies and leave the rest of us alone. Unfortunately for you, you will mss out on a lot of great golf courses.

Bill M

That is absurd. If you have a problem with it, just go to courses where they don't have caddies and leave the rest of us alone. Unfortunately for you, you will mss out on a lot of great golf courses.

Not to mention one of the very best experiences you can have in golf!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Absurd? Having a servant carry your clubs while you are more than capable, that is absurd.

And we have some of the best golf courses in the world down here,with the majority being caddie free.

My apologies for having an a opinion

And mow your own lawn, go buy your own newspaper, and let's not go to fast food places or restaurants where servants cook amd deliver your food.   Did your time machine break down or do you not understand that people make money doing these jobs?

Originally Posted by thescarecrow

Absurd? Having a servant carry your clubs while you are more than capable, that is absurd.

And we have some of the best golf courses in the world down here,with the majority being caddie free.

My apologies for having an a opinion

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

No kidding??  My birthday is coming up in just a few weeks.  Do you know if you have to do anything special to get the free round other than show up with ID?  Fill out any kind of form or notify them ahead of time?

My birthday falls on a Monday this year ... I may be coming down with something that day.

EDIT:  Nevermind ... its right on their website. http://www.tustinranchgolf.com/sites/courses/layout.asp?id=525&page;=50530

Looks like I just have to hope there is no tournament that day.

also, you can invite up to 11 of your friends which would get their member rate, which i believe is half off ($60?).  might be an opportunity to have a socal sandtrap get together?

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Originally Posted by ejimsmith

also, you can invite up to 11 of your friends which would get their member rate, which i believe is half off ($60?).  might be an opportunity to have a socal sandtrap get together?

It's 2 weeks from tomorrow (Nov 12) and I am thinking about playing hooky from work that day.  If enough people were interested, that would probably help me make the decision to skip work for the day.

Note: This thread is 1835 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!